Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: CZ 527 LUX HELP

(Lehigh County)

Default CZ 527 LUX HELP

i am wondering if anyone has a 527 in .223 and can direct me towards the right grain of bullet to use in it. It has a 1:12 twist. i started with 55g wolf pmc bronze and ultramax and cant get a group smaller than a baseball at 100 yards. do i need to go to a 45 or up to a 62 im stumped.

Default Re: CZ 527 LUX HELP

Try 45-50gr. My rem 700 in 223 has a 1:12 twist tube and likes black hills blue box 50gr v-max and the remington/umc 50gr JHP's.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil but, because of the people who do nothing about them."
    - Albert Einstein

(Lebanon County)

In theory, 1:12 twist should favor a shorter, lighter bullet. (Weight isn't the actual factor, it's the length, shape and bearing surface, but weight and length usually go hand in hand).
    It should do well with something 55 grains or lighter, If I were in your position, I'd try something with a 45 - 50 grain bullet.

Question: Is your barrel actually 1:12? That's what the Lux should be according to their specifications.
    According to the CZ web site, most of the 527 line is rifled at 1:12, but the Varmint Kevlar is 1:9. Since they do offer different twist rates, could it be possible that yours somehow has 1:9 instead of the specified 1:12?

I have a CZ527 American chambered in .222 Rem with a 1:12 twist. I get very good results with 52 grain Sierra hollow point bullets, (I load my own). A friend of mine has a CZ527 Varmint chambered in .223, also 1:12, and can't get that bullet to group any better than about 1.5" - 2" at 100 yards. He also loads his own and has tried different powders and charges as well as different seating depth with very little difference in results. I gave him samples of 6 different bullets of various weights from 45 grain to 63 grain to try. I think he'll be testing them this weekend, If he doesn't post his results in this thread, I will.
    Last edited by mauser; December 30th, 2007 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Edited to correct dyslexic typing

This is my CZ 527 LUX in .223, and it is a 1 in 12" twist as well. It doesn't shoot much better than yours. All of my AR-15's, (1 in 9" twist) will shoot circles around it. I don't know why most bolt gun manufacturers produce .223's with so little twist? I'm guessing because, "They've always done it that way". My next AR-15 is going to be a Bushmaster Predator with a 1 in 8" twist which will stabilize anything up to and including the 80 grain Sierra Matchkings. Bill T.

Post Re: CZ 527 LUX HELP

Hey Bill,
    This may be an old post but I thought Id reply anyway, as I have the same gun as you CZ 527 Lux. I was surprised to see your gun isnt grouping well, as I have not had trouble achieving sub-moa accuracy with a variety of loads. I can get right at 1 inch group with PMC bronze 55 gr, not sure about the others. None of those (wolf, pmc, or ultramax) are considered very accurate ammo, although I get satisfactory results with the PMC.
    I am able to achieve right around 1/2 inch groups handloading Hornady 55 gr FMJ- BT w/c in those spent PMC cases. I am currently experimenting with 52 gr Nos Custom Comps. I would suggest going with 55 gr and lower, and you might do better with the 50- 52 gr stuff. The CZ should be an inherently accurate platform, so I would go over your bedding screws, scope screws, etc and make sure nothing has come loose. Hope that helps.