Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Magazine help - floor plate

Hello,

I figured I would ask here to maybe get some suggestions or to see if anyone has had a similar issue in the past...

I have been doing a lot of combat-accuracy drills with my M&P 40 (full size) and have experienced a few "mishaps" when doing tactical reloads.

When I insert a new magazine into the gun, I hit the base of the mag pretty hard (obviously); however, at least two of my mags have had the floor plate slide off when hit hard.

It's clear to know what's happening here, but to prevent it, it seems I would need to strengthen the bond between the floor plate and the lock.

I was thinking of just using some paper glue around the hole in the floor plate and lock to give it a greater bond. I clean the magazines regularly and would clean off the glue periodically. Obviously I couldn't use something permanent.

Any other suggestions/ideas?

Thanks
    Ne obliviscaris bonum commune hominis

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Magazine help - floor plate

get better magazines? ive never heard of that happening but i dont know everything.

Contact S&W. They have a very good reputation for customer service.

I'm not familiar with those mags, but is there anywhere you could drill a hole and secure the base plate to the tube with a small sheet metal screw? Or could you put a screw through the base plate to keep it from sliding off the tube?

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    Contact S&W. They have a very good reputation for customer service.
    Yeah they have always been helpful. Maybe they have a type of solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Jup06 View Post
    I'm not familiar with those mags, but is there anywhere you could drill a hole and secure the base plate to the tube with a small sheet metal screw? Or could you put a screw through the base plate to keep it from sliding off the tube?
    That would probably work the best; however, I would like to avoid any permanent changes to the mags.

(Centre County)

I DO NOT have this product, but have seen some positive reviews on other boards. Expensive, though. Clicky....

http://www.10-8performance.com/categ...P-Accessories/

How often do you dissasemble the mags for cleaning? Could they just be worn from repeated on/off and new baseplates from S&W could be used? They are very inexpensive (like, a buck). Also, some people use the magazine baseplates from the compact versions on the full size magazines, which won't do shit for your problem, but you will be 2% cooler, you know, tactically.

Also, I think Magpul makes baseplates for those mags. Will find link... (EDIT-THIS IS BS. It's for a Glock. My bad.....)
    Last edited by FLICK; May 24th, 2011 at 05:18 PM.
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jigsaw View Post
    I was thinking of just using some paper glue around the hole in the floor plate and lock to give it a greater bond.
    Paper glue or Elmers / Titebond acrylic glues are waterborne and rely on hydrogen-hydrogen bonds with porous organic substrates to work. Plastic or metal FPs and metal mag lips do not provide hydrogen double bonds and the glue simply won't hold.

I can't make a suggestion other than a tiny self-tapping screw toward the front of the FP into the FP keeper place to mechanically block the FP from shifting forward. You could also run the screw into the FP keeper plate tab, but this would likely destroy the tab and you'd forever need the screw to keep the FP on.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Westmoreland County)

"The M&P factory base pad was one of the areas where we felt some improvements could be made"

I see that now.

I clean the mags every few weeks I would say (unless I am dropping the mags in mud or wet ground). It may be worth it to just order a few more base pads and retainers some time since they are somewhat beat up.

And I didn't know MAGPUL made baseplates for those -- that may be worth a look as well.

Quote Originally Posted by FLICK View Post
    I DO NOT have this product, but have seen some positive reviews on other boards. Expensive, though. Clicky....

http://www.10-8performance.com/categ...P-Accessories/

How often do you dissasemble the mags for cleaning? Could they just be worn from repeated on/off and new baseplates from S&W could be used? They are very inexpensive....

Also, Magpul makes baseplates for those mags. Will find link...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Paper glue or Elmers / Titebond acrylic glues are waterborne and rely on hydrogen-hydrogen bonds with porous organic substrates to work.
    wow. i always thought that they worked because they were sticky.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Paper glue or Elmers / Titebond acrylic glues are waterborne and rely on hydrogen-hydrogen bonds with porous organic substrates to work. Plastic or metal FPs and metal mag lips do not provide hydrogen double bonds and the glue simply won't hold.

I can't make a suggestion other than a tiny self-tapping screw toward the front of the FP into the FP keeper place to mechanically block the FP from shifting forward. You could also run the screw into the FP keeper plate tab, but this would likely destroy the tab and you'd forever need the screw to keep the FP on.

Noah

Yeah I don't plan on making any permanent modifications.

As for the glue, I am merely looking for a sticky filler that may provide more friction. The baseplates don't fall off every time -- probably just when they get hit hard at an angle and lift/force the lock out of place.

Some sort of epoxy glue may work -- although it may be a bit more solid than I wish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast