Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr CW45 help

(Beaver County)

Default Kahr CW45 help

New Kahr CW45 arrived yesterday. Started cleaning it (holy oil slick) and noticed that the "side panel" (frame part 40) wasn't flush. Monkeyed with it a bit but it isn't budging. Decide to field strip and investigate further. Can't get the slide off. Watch videos, reproduce steps, no joy. Realize the gun isn't cocking, and pulling the trigger seems to be part of the takedown. I get it to cock by putting in the mag, locking open, dropping mag, dropping slide, and then pulling trigger which seems to cock the pistol, then pull trigger while pulling slide forward to remove. That worked. Once.

Took side panel off, notice much plastic scree around the molded parts preventing the side panel from seating. I trim that carefully with an exacto and replace the panel. It seats now, but I don't know that I'd say it is flush. And the mold line and color don't match the grip. Close, but not a match. That bothers me, but I could live with it I think...

But the gun won't cock. Unless I'm retarded and just doing it wrong, racking the slide doesn't cock this pistol. Just want to see if anyone has advice / experience before I call these jokers and end up shipping my gun across the planet.

Thanks.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Kahr CW45 help

Quick update... I can cock the gun if I rack the slide, pull the (uncocked) trigger and let it spring forward. I head a small pop or click and it is cocked.

You probably should have called Kahr at the first sign of problems instead of cutting down the frame. They may not give you any warranty service now.

(York County)

Without being able to see it myself and going on what you are saying, my best guess would be....

I think it sounds like the trigger bar may be dragging, it sits between that cover plate and the magazine. and that may be keeping the cocking cam from returning to the front. Does the trigger seem right? does it seem to be hanging up? if you flick the trigger and let it fly back forward does it seem to go all the way forward?

I never took the side cover off of my Kahrs, and it is not really something you should need to do. But you say you had it off, did you get it back on right?

If you can, try to get the slide off so you can see down in there and then you may see the problem. remove the pin, keep the trigger pulled the whole way back and slide the slide forward and off, sometimes it hangs a little but it should come off. Don't force anything.

Maybe you could take it back to the shop you bought it at and they can help you get it working?

Good luck!

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Waldershrek View Post
    <snip>instead of cutting down the frame. They may not give you any warranty service now.
    To be clear, I didn't cut anything that should have been there. Think of a plastic miniature with extra flashing where the molds come together.

(Beaver County)

When I rack the slide the trigger bar travels south of where it should be. Looking at the side panel it seems like the notch inside the panel should keep that from happening. The fact that it doesn't seat seems related.

Time to call Kahr.

(Mercer County)

Sounds like there is some more extra plastic in there along the right side were the side panel is, interfearing with the free travel of the trigger bar. My pm 45 cocks partialy when the slide is racked. Then cocks the rest of the way while the trigger is being pulled. It may just be a issue with a extra full mold when the palemer was injected, and it ran where it should not have.

(Beaver County)

Kahr service emailed me back about an hour after I emailed. They said:

The side panel does not have to sit perfectly flush with the frame. The side panel is simply there for servicing the firearm and also meant to act as a safety device if an overcharged round is fired. If you are having trigger reset issues, this is something that will have to be inspected here at the factory.

I asked them to pay for the shipping. They sent me a Fedex prepay a couple hours later. The gun is in the mail. I'll report back with their findings.

Glad they sent you a packing slip. Sometimes you've got to duke it out with them over shipping!

(Beaver County)

KAHR UPDATE! Fedex label on the door today when I got home. Which is a bit odd, since they never emailed me or anything. But whatever. I pick it up after 5pm (love those Fedexers) and opened it a bit ago when I got home. There's a paper in the box that says "replaced trigger bar, test fired, all good" and the gun is working like it should (or hell at least as I think it should).

Sent 5/24 on their dime, back in my hands on 5/31. Holiday weekend in between. That ain't bad. Kahr++ in my book.

I'll update after shooting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast