Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: H&R 22

(Cumberland County)

Default H&R 22

Saw this little beauty and had to have it. I have a few H&R's and enjoy them - the plant when it was in existence was about 45 minutes from my house in Massachusetts. I have been checking out H&R's for a while and have never seen this model - new defender with 2" barrel in 22lr. I was able to find a couple that sold a while back on auction arms, etc. and they sold for more than double what I paid - so we will see. Bonus - it's C&R so shipped right to my house Anyone own or know more about this pistol.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cruzans; May 23rd, 2011 at 09:44 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: H&R 22

If you haven't already - Buy it! Buy it NOW!

Its based on the 199/999/Sportmans frame. It appears to be a "299 New Defender". They were made from 1935 to 1939.

I personally have only seen 2 of those in my entire life. That is 34 of of my 38 years of actively shooting and going to gun shops.

The value could be as high as $600+/- if it's in 100% condition. And in the mid $200's if in 60% condition.

To be certain though that the barrel wasn't changed out on a later production 199/999, we would need the serial number. Most specifically, the first letter(s) and a couple of the following numbers. You can X out the last 2 for security sakes.
    Last edited by knight0334; May 23rd, 2011 at 11:12 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    If you haven't already - Buy it! Buy it NOW!

Its based on the 199/999/Sportmans frame. It appears to be a "299 New Defender". They were made from 1935 to 1939.

I personally have only seen 2 of those in my entire life. That is 34 of of my 38 years of actively shooting and going to gun shops.

The value could be as high as $600+/- if it's in 100% condition. And in the mid $200's if in 60% condition.

To be certain though that the barrel wasn't changed out on a later production 199/999, we would need the serial number. Most specifically, the first letter(s) and a couple of the following numbers. You can X out the last 2 for security sakes.
    Great info - Tx! Seems to be about 85% or so, bore shiny no pitting, no rust, wood grips perfect - got her for $180. Serial # is D202xx. Tx again, can't wait to get it in the mail !

(Elk County)

I've only ever seen one of those, sometime in the 1980s, can't recall where. Congrats on a great score!

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    Great info - Tx! Seems to be about 85% or so, bore shiny no pitting, no rust, wood grips perfect - got her for $180. Serial # is D202xx. Tx again, can't wait to get it in the mail !
    With D202XX, that is certainly a Pre-1940 gun. Even though "D" was used later for 1943, there weren't any models that I can remember that came in that configuration in the post-1940 era.

I'm not sure of the accuracy of this, but the "D" was for "Double action" like the "S" was for "Single action". The frame was slightly modified from the Sportsman's "Rice frame". I think for a shorter grip.

I dont think it will be possible to narrow the year down any further for it's birthday. I cant find a serial number run per year for that model.. ...so, you can pick a year between '35 and '39 for selecting candles for its birthday cake. lol

Congrats on a good find!
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    I've only ever seen one of those, sometime in the 1980s, can't recall where. Congrats on a great score!

Noah
    Thanks - and I haven't forgotten about that llama - I'll be in touch soon

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    With D202XX, that is certainly a Pre-1940 gun. Even though "D" was used later for 1943, there weren't any models that I can remember that came in that configuration in the post-1940 era.

I'm not sure of the accuracy of this, but the "D" was for "Double action" like the "S" was for "Single action". The frame was slightly modified from the Sportsman's "Rice frame". I think for a shorter grip.

I dont think it will be possible to narrow the year down any further for it's birthday. I cant find a serial number run per year for that model.. ...so, you can pick a year between '35 and '39 for selecting candles for its birthday cake. lol

Congrats on a good find!
    Tx again - appreciate the info. Can't wait to get my hands on it !

(Cumberland County)

One last question / opinion. When I get it, I was originally going to send it out to be re-blued because it does have some blueing loss/scratches. What do you think, wise, or keep it original ?

(Tioga County)

One last question / opinion. When I get it, I was originally going to send it out to be re-blued because it does have some blueing loss/scratches. What do you think, wise, or keep it original ?
    I'd be very reluctant to have any restoration work done on it. It's only original once.

--Phil

(Jefferson County)

Here is a general rule about guns.. ..if you don't want to ruin its value - don't refinish it. Now if you don't care about its value - then by all means, do what you wish.

Doing so would screw up any value it has unless you had a certified and accredited gunsmith that is renown for gun restoration do it. ...which their services usually costs $500-$5000 to do.

If anyone other than that type of person above does it - value drops like a rock.. ...even if the gun is in "better" condition afterwards.

An old Colt 1873 Peacemaker in rough shape covered in patina and rust is more valuable than that same gun that has been stripped and refinished. ..unless its been done by the top-notch smiths. ...and then, value could still go down.

There is a reason why virgins fetch high prices.. lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast