Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Near Encounter

(Chester County)

Arrow Near Encounter

Not really an OC/CC encounter.. just a story. I never thought I'd find myself apologizing to someone but that happened tonight. Escalation scale - who would've thought. I was not in the wrong but long story short, this guy on my street was stopped, waiting to get up the street. There was a girl in a car waiting to take my spot. He got pissed, so when she moved to go around her he stopped and called her a bitch, etc. I called him an asshole. He spins his tired. Slams on his brakes. Gets out and starts yelling at me, telling me he is going to bust my teeth out, etc. I have my G23, concealed with me. I try to talk him down to alleviate the situation. He continues. Walks away, then comes back. After cursing at me, and telling me to go f myself, and saying plenty of other random crap, he gets right in my face. I pull out my cell phone and tell him I am calling my buddy (LEO) and that I apologized for calling him an asshole. He then mutters some words and finally leaves. Never produced my weapon, never thought about it until he had his hand out of sight. Glad things didn't end in a bad way. I dunno, just figured I'd share..

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Near Encounter

Just goes to show that some people aren't wrapped too tight or have a warped sense of morals or whatever. It was okay for him to call a woman a bitch but not for another man to call him an a-hole. Glad it ended peacefully since the guy was obviously a jackass.

(Berks County)

Just keep to yourself in the future. In Allentown I was waiting to turn left at a light. There was one gentleman (I use the term loosely) in front of me in the middle of the intersection. When the light changed to red he puts his car in reverse, there was a line of people behind me also, so what could I do? Instead of acting like an adult, this person starts waving his arms around yelling at me? I just locked the doors, and gave my wife the cell phone with instructions to call 911 if things got ugly. Thankfully he finally just went.

In the times we are living in now people do not think about their actions enough. If the other guy had 1/2 a brain he would of figured out I can not go anywhere; furthermore, by going up to someone screaming and jumping around like a madman may be hazardous to one's health.

I'm glad things turn out good for ya. However, if things went bad, and you were forced to use force, any witnesses could have said you escalated the situation, and you may of found yourself in a bad legal situation.

Be Safe
    Fraggle09027 is not a lawyer. Any advice is just advice (my own 2 cents) and is not expressed or implied as legal advice.

(York County)

Sounds like you handled yourself well. I agree with the fact that "us" carriers have to be more cautious about what and how we react to certain situations. So maybe you calling him an a**hole wasn't the best thing to do to start with but who would think the a**hole would have reacted like that. The fact that you were the "bigger" man and backed down and even apoligized for calling the man for what he really was shows good caution and smarts to alleviate a possible bad situation. There are so many idots out there these days. You didn't know if he was armed or not (probably not). He for sure didn't know what he was up against if he esculated the situation. I've only been carrying for about six months now but I've always been the type of person who believes in calming a situation down before it gets bigger. Who needs the trouble for such little things in life. Anyway, my hats off to you for calming the situation.

(Montgomery County)

I had a close encounter like this when I was unarmed... funny how they always stem from autos...

My wife was driving me to my office, we got off on 676 at the 23rd/B Frankin exit and got in the right turning lane. All of a sudden some clown to our left starts screaming and beeping his horn then stepping on the gas and slamming on the brake making his tires squeel. (He was trying to tell us he intended on making a right turn from the straight lane with no blinker on I come to find out the minute the light turns green) so he blows around us almost making us steer into a sign mid turn. So my horn-happy wife (don't insert joke here haha) lays on it... nothing else just a beep... at the next light he pulls up next to us with the same shenanigans just this time he's yelling obsenities at my wife. So I can see her getting heated (she has a habit of giving guys black eyes and bloody noses despite being incredibly petite, she's an ex-rugby player). I calmed her down and told her to put the window up and ignore him.

Well ignoring him did nothing but piss him off more. The minute the light turned green he floored it slammed on the brakes and blocked both lanes... I could see him through his passenger window fling the door open and jump out of the car, only problem was the idiot left his seat belt on so he's dangling at his door enraged which as well know all makes things worse because he now can't get the seat belt off... so there's a huge line of cars again now 10 of them beeping at him. He jumps in and takes off giving everyone the finger.

Wouldn't you know it, we catch up with him (not on purpose) 3 lights later AND HE PULLS THE SAME BS AGAIN AND GETS CAUGHT ON HIS SEATBELT ONCE AGAIN. This time I was getting a little nervous because this guy was completely out of his mind, I reached for the tire iron and my cell phone. A SEPTA bus pulled up behind him and starting beeping the horn and I could see the driver yelling at the guy. They guy finally took of, blew the next light that was solid red for a while and disappeared.

This is going to get me burnt, but I didn't call the cops on him, my adrenaline was rushing so I didn't think to get the plate to his Red Pathfinder. Everytime I've ever called the cops about problems here in the city they either never came or came 45 mins too late. Not meaning to say anything about PPD, but my experiences have been pretty bad. In fact one time I was riding my bicycle home and a cop in his van opened his door last minute in an attempt for me to hit it, when I looked at him he laughed at me, I know his intent because I saw him staring at me in the mirror as I was ridind down the street so he knew i was there. So I don't bother with them much anymore.
    Last edited by BrentJennings; May 26th, 2011 at 02:39 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by NonLinearEdits View Post
    This is going to get me burnt, but I didn't call the cops on him, my adrenaline was rushing so I didn't think to get the plate to his Red Pathfinder. Everytime I've ever called the cops about problems here in the city they either never came or came 45 mins too late. Not meaning to say anything about PPD, but my experiences have been pretty bad. In fact one time I was riding my bicycle home and a cop in his van opened his door last minute in an attempt to hit me with it, when I looked at him he laughed at me. So I don't bother with them much anymore.
    Why should the PPD come out? There wasn't a body on the ground to write a report over, so there's nothing for them to do.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Why should the PPD come out? There wasn't a body on the ground to write a report over, so there's nothing for them to do.
    I'm not sure if that was sarcastic toward me or the PPD lol, but in the event it was geared to me I guess I was assuming wreckless endangerment, wreckless driving, escape from the mental ward or something could have been had out of it. If you were being sarcastic toward the PPD then I agree. hahaha

(Chester County)

CC is all about walking softly and carrying a big stick

...er, um, GUN

(Montgomery County)

Question Re: Near Encounter

Quote Originally Posted by PAFirefighter11 View Post
    this guy on my street was stopped, waiting to get up the street. There was a girl in a car waiting to take my spot. He got pissed, so when she moved to go around her he stopped and called her a bitch, etc.
    This part is confusing as hell.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tmygun View Post
    That's why we, as carriers, have to be even more reserved and hold our tongue. When I have my gun on me it makes me try ten times harder to always be nice, polite, and always quick to diffuse any situation that can turn ugly.

Tmygun:-)
    This is what I mean when I tell people that those that carry a gun are usually nice and polite.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast