Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Ruger LCP range report

Took the new LCP out to shoot yesterday. Put 60ish rounds through it between myself and the wife (gun is hers). Initial thoughts... that gun sucks. It beats the hell out of your hand and the trigger pull makes it worse, since it tends to skew your grip to where the thing is hitting you in the crook of the thumb. A real ball buster. Also, the slide lock is just shy of complete bullshit.

All that said it does shoot just fine. From 5 and 7 yards we didn't miss the silhouette at all, and you could pretty much hit where you pointed if you fight the urge to anticipate the trigger (did I mention the trigger blows?). Since this gun is really designed for pulling out of your pocket and emptying it into a close range bad guy I'll say it will serve its purpose. But breaking it in isn't going to be super fun time.

The wife had one instance of the mag not seating and not feeding the second round. Going to say that's her fault. And three or four times the slide didn't go the whole way into battery. Not going to judge that yet, since it hasn't been cleaned or fully broken in.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Ruger LCP range report

Both me and my wife have one of these for a carry gun. I agree 100% the trigger sucks!
    Was just at the range with the wife last Thursday and she put over 150rds through hers.
    Her main complaint was that it hurt her hand as you described. She was shooting approx 6-8" groups of 6 at 7yrds. One of the other drawbacks is the sights on the gun are basically nonexistent.
    Otherwise it is a decent pocket gun that will serve its intended purpose should it be needed IMHO

(Bucks County)

I 100% agree with both your posts. I love how easy the gun is to carry but don't look forward to practicing with it at all. I am fairly accurate like you guys 4-5 in group at 5-7 yards. Try painting the front site white it does help.

(Bucks County)

Love the LCP, recoil is subjective and I must be immune to it because I never even notice it. Try Hogue Handal Jr. rubber grip, a huge help.
    It is superbly accurate for such a small gun. Trigger on mine is quite good, light and super smooth.
    I do agree with the slide lock assessment. It does suck, but the P3-AT which they "upgraded" it from, has none.
    The more you carry it, the more you will appreciate it for what it is.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    Love the LCP, recoil is subjective and I must be immune to it because I never even notice it. Try Hogue Handal Jr. rubber grip, a huge help.
    It is superbly accurate for such a small gun. Trigger on mine is quite good, light and super smooth.
    I do agree with the slide lock assessment. It does suck, but the P3-AT which they "upgraded" it from, has none.
    The more you carry it, the more you will appreciate it for what it is.
    I've shot the LCP, and own the P3AT.. I prefer the P3AT
    I am not a lawyer !!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jshwak View Post
    I've shot the LCP, and own the P3AT.. I prefer the P3AT
    Have LCP and 2 P3-AT's, like all but prefer LCP. Just a better quality gun.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    Took the new LCP out to shoot yesterday. Put 60ish rounds through it between myself and the wife (gun is hers). Initial thoughts... that gun sucks. It beats the hell out of your hand and the trigger pull makes it worse, since it tends to skew your grip to where the thing is hitting you in the crook of the thumb. A real ball buster. Also, the slide lock is just shy of complete bullshit.

All that said it does shoot just fine. From 5 and 7 yards we didn't miss the silhouette at all, and you could pretty much hit where you pointed if you fight the urge to anticipate the trigger (did I mention the trigger blows?). Since this gun is really designed for pulling out of your pocket and emptying it into a close range bad guy I'll say it will serve its purpose. But breaking it in isn't going to be super fun time.

The wife had one instance of the mag not seating and not feeding the second round. Going to say that's her fault. And three or four times the slide didn't go the whole way into battery. Not going to judge that yet, since it hasn't been cleaned or fully broken in.
    I think my LCP is one of the most accurate pistols ive ever owned...

Ruger LCP with CT laserguard, 25 feet, off hand, Federal Hydrashok JHP. (the one shot in the 9 ring was my fault- i jerked the trigger on the last shot in the mag.)

I LOVE my little Ruger, it goes with me literally everywhere.

Keep in mind your LCP is brand new, with use the trigger will smooth out considerably.

Don't like the LCP because it's to small for me to grip right. I have the LCR and think it's one of the best pocket guns I've ever had. Small, light, and has 5 +P rounds.

(Philadelphia County)

If you are not already doing it, make sure you wrap your index finger (and some middle finger) of the weak hand around the trigger guard. This gives you A LOT more control over mouse guns, especially over the super lightweight LCP. Your groups will get a lot tighter and you strong hand will hurt less.

Also, if you're using mags with the pinky extension, watch out for when the gun gets to 800 - 1000 rounds old. My mags start to come out after each shot. The recoil/shock, downward pressure on the extension, combined with stress on the mag "catch" is the likely culprit. I don't use those mags anymore. I'd try not to shoot it too much to reduce wear and tear overall.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Allegheny County)

Ok... since it wasn't mentioned yet...

Do this. Empty the weapon. Remove the magazine.
    MAKE SURE THE WEAPON IS EMPTY!

Break the gun down and GREASE the rails lightly and the slide portion that cocks the hammer.

Now rack the weapon and pull the trigger over and over and over. You don't have to be rough with it, but just do it 200-300 times. When that's done, or your hands get awfully tired break it back down and put a drop of oil on the right side of the slide where the little tab sticks up between the rail. This is right where the trigger bar is. I press the tab down and apply oil with the tip of a syringe type applicator. Just a drop or two and let it run down to the trigger parts you can't see.

Wipe off excess grease. (I recommend applying a little extra grease in the beginning to help protect the parts if you are going to be racking the gun dry a million times.)

Enjoy your 2-3# lighter and smoother trigger pull. As for the recoil of the tiny gun... time to cowboy up. If you want a gun that weighs 8.8oz and fires .380... it is what it is.
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; May 24th, 2011 at 12:55 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast