Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Centre County)

Default Re: Ruger LCP range report

Took it out to the range again today. Turns out that the sights on this little guy are... off. About eight inches high at 6 yards (and I know it's not me). Compensating for that, and using the Hornady Critical Defense ammo, I was able to get decent (6-inch) groupings with it. Dirt-cheap practice ammo? Out of 20 rounds I hit the target about 15 times.

So, with some good ammo, and using the laser to compensate for sights that are slightly too high, this will be a good BUG.

But that trigger still annoys the crap outta me!
    "Cave Johnson. We're done here."

You need to go buy yourself a laser. I can group my LCP inside 2" off hand at 25 feet (8.33 yds) with a CT laser installed. There's a picture up above in the thread if you missed it. That is the level of accuracy an LCP is mechanically capable of, at least. I rather suspect the gun is more accurate than that, i've never tried to bench rest it, but i would be surprised if a bench rest would fail to give 1.5" groups at 25 feet.

The DAO trigger on your LCP will get much smoother as it breaks in. Mount a laserguard, put 500rds through it, and call us in the morning.
    Last edited by Valorius; June 4th, 2011 at 02:34 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Val,

He has a laser already.

And if it's really 6" high I would call Ruger. It shouldn't be that far off.
    If you genuinely hate it. Get it fixed and then sell it. You will probably like the Kahr trigger 100x better.

D'oh.

Even if the iron sights are off by 8" high, the laser should still be able to zero to point of aim at such short range. Regardless, definitely something wrong with it.
    Last edited by Valorius; June 4th, 2011 at 03:02 PM.

(Beaver County)

Hmm. This thread seems to have gone from a range report to the LCP knowledge thread. All good by me.

Another 75 rounds today. Only one FTF. The thing points where you shoot it for both the wife and I, but neither of us like to shoot the thing. In fact she put it down and shot the 92fs as soon as I wasn't looking. We figure 100 more rounds or so and it'll be ready for duty.

Two things worth noting... the silly thing ejects cases about 6 counties away. Not sure what the deal is there, but it certainly is enthusiastic. The other is that my wife tends to bump the mag release occasionally, which drops the mag enough to not feed the next round. I've read about people doing that also, I'll just have to beat it out of her. Ah... while she isn't holding a gun though.

It is possible to shave off some of the mag release button so it does not protrude as much. I did that on my Kel Tec P32 which had the same problem, and it cut down on the occurance significantly.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234