Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Re: Ruger LCP range report

I love the wife's LCP, but it's a devil of a thing to get used to. Aside from that incredibly heavy and long trigger pull, she doesn't seem to be able to hit the target with it. I had hoped it was just her having trouble with the sights, so I added a CTLaserguard and dialed it in. She still has a POI at the bottom of the target holder. Starting to think I got a lemon, but I'll give the little thing this: it's dead-on reliable, and although the POI is waaaay low, it gives 1" groups at 20 yards.

Gonna try Asmodeus' trigger method and see if it's just the way the trigger makes her hold it. Give her a .38spl and she'll perforate a silhouette at 50yrds all day long. With this...
    "Cave Johnson. We're done here."

Quote Originally Posted by jshwak View Post
    I've shot the LCP, and own the P3AT.. I prefer the P3AT
    Exact opposite for me.

I had a KT P32, hated it, and upgraded to an LCP.

Quote Originally Posted by legendarylorot View Post
    I love the wife's LCP, but it's a devil of a thing to get used to. Aside from that incredibly heavy and long trigger pull, she doesn't seem to be able to hit the target with it. I had hoped it was just her having trouble with the sights, so I added a CTLaserguard and dialed it in. She still has a POI at the bottom of the target holder. Starting to think I got a lemon, but I'll give the little thing this: it's dead-on reliable, and although the POI is waaaay low, it gives 1" groups at 20 yards.

Gonna try Asmodeus' trigger method and see if it's just the way the trigger makes her hold it. Give her a .38spl and she'll perforate a silhouette at 50yrds all day long. With this...
    If your POI is still really low even after adjusting the CT laser, i would say that something is very wrong, and would call Ruger to get to the bottom of it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    If your POI is still really low even after adjusting the CT laser, i would say that something is very wrong, and would call Ruger to get to the bottom of it.
    I agree. Mine shoots about an inch or so from POA to the left and up at about 7yds. The other one is about dead on. No gun should be shooting that low.

Before you send it back though have someone else shoot it. And check to be sure you/her are not anticipating recoil. (by driving the muzzle down) MANY people do this without ever realizing it. So please don't take offense to this. Just make sure you/her are not doing it.

Easy way is for you to stand on her left - and put a snap cap somewhere in the mag. Watch the gun from the side parallel to the shooter, and watch for the muzzle dive when they pull the trigger. If it's happening it will show up when they hit the "dead round".

Although if you have a laser, you could just watch the paper and see if the laser is moving before the shot breaks.

(This is what I resorted to when I was having a hard time kicking some bugs out of sights on another weapon. Wasn't sure if it was me, the barrel, the sights, the ammo... Put a laser on it and all of a sudden I was shooting 10 hole clover leafs. Which means it was the sights.)

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    Before you send it back though have someone else shoot it. And check to be sure you/her are not anticipating recoil. (by driving the muzzle down) MANY people do this without ever realizing it. So please don't take offense to this. Just make sure you/her are not doing it.
    No offense taken, and it's something I've been working on her- and myself- with. She has developed a flinch, but it's minor (an inch or so on POI, not several feet). To get over it I've been having her practice with some empty chambers on her wheelgun. I've tried shooting it myself, but all I can tell is that I don't hit where I'm aiming. Can't tell by how much, since she doesn't seem to be able to see the dust clouds kicked up by the POI.

Sadly, I've not had the opportunity to take anyone to the range that's more experienced than I am. And I'm not all that experienced at all.
    "Cave Johnson. We're done here."

(Berks County)

$140 to have the sights reworked or $99 for an armalaser.

Doesn't the dry firing damage the firing pin after hundreds of break cycles by hand? Or is the slide just being racked dry?

The CT laser is -way- better than the armalaser. My cousin and uncle both have Armalasers, so i have compared them head to head.

The $140 to have the sights done gives you a good day sight, because red lasers pretty much suck in the day time, as well as the tritium irons giving you a good backup sight picture at night.

(Allegheny County)

Took mine to the range today for the first time. I like it alot better than expected. Trigger pull is long, but you get used to it. Sights do suck ass though. They will have to be upgraded later but i'll try the paint trick on the front sight to see if that helps. But for what the gun is designed for, with concealibility and weight being a non-issue it's exactly what is was purchased for and I like it. Of course my 1911 was brought to the range as well...night and day with grouping LOL!! But as expected.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zet70 View Post
    Doesn't the dry firing damage the firing pin after hundreds of break cycles by hand? Or is the slide just being racked dry?
    No, see here:
    http://elsiepeaforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=14099.0
    MikeP

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by legendarylorot View Post
    No offense taken, and it's something I've been working on her- and myself- with. She has developed a flinch, but it's minor (an inch or so on POI, not several feet). To get over it I've been having her practice with some empty chambers on her wheelgun. I've tried shooting it myself, but all I can tell is that I don't hit where I'm aiming. Can't tell by how much, since she doesn't seem to be able to see the dust clouds kicked up by the POI.

Sadly, I've not had the opportunity to take anyone to the range that's more experienced than I am. And I'm not all that experienced at all.
    Next up is step closer. Walk up to the target point blank (<5ft) fire the weapon. Hit what you are aiming at? Step back 1 pace. Fire again. Line the sights up the same way and aim at the same point on the target. How much did your POI move? Repeat. If there is no discernable pattern to the POI shift, (all low, all right, etc) change your type of ammunition. Start over.

IE: If you are using Federal, switch to Remington etc. I have fired a few varieties of Federal, both FMJ and Hydrashok's with no issues. As well as Prvi Partisan FMJ and HP, Remington FMJ and HP. And had no issues. There is that American something or other I see floating around too, but I haven't tried it. In other applications (9mm) it has sucked donkey balls for me. I still haven't brought myself to use steel case in my pistols yet. Although I see that happening soon just so I can shoot more and I don't reload.

If you still have the same indistinguishable pattern even up close with multiple types of ammunition, clean the bore of the weapon and check the barrel for abnormalities. Remove the barrel and look down it with a small light. Make sure the rifling is concentric and free from pitting or "gaps" and that it looks uniform throughout. Also check the hood of the barrel (part front most in contact with the slide) for abnormal wear. As it could be a loose lock up, or uneven lockup. At which point it needs to go back to ruger.

Keep in mind you WILL see finish removal from wear on the hood so don't go nuts if there is. Just try to determine whether it looks severe, or uneven.

FINALLY: Make sure the gun is assembled correctly. That includes the springs and guide rod, as well as the way they sit on the barrel. Sounds stupid, but it happens.
    ALSO: If you did not do a preliminary cleaning on the weapon before shooting it - well, you should have. They come pretty laden in grease from mother Ruger. Give it a good cleaning.
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; June 4th, 2011 at 12:36 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast