Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Re: Ruger LCP range report

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    Do this.
    Shit that was this gun? I saw a video of someone doing this to a gun but I didn't remember which. Thanks for the advice, and saving me a couple hundred rounds of 380.

(Tioga County)

I put 6 dozen rounds through my brand new LCP a few weeks ago. It shot well, worked flawlessly and didn't hurt my hand in the least. It goes with me just about everywhere.

For the record, I tested with 3 brands of ammo. Fiocchi FMJ, TulAmmo FMJ and Remington Golden Saber JHP.
    MikeP

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    Shit that was this gun? I saw a video of someone doing this to a gun but I didn't remember which. Thanks for the advice, and saving me a couple hundred rounds of 380.
    I have no idea about the video, or what gun it pertains to. But I can tell you it absolutely works. I've done it to both of ours, as well as painting the sights. Makes it easier to pick them up and helps you shoot the little gun to it's potential. Which, is actually quite good. The LCP is surprisingly accurate. But shooting it can be difficult given it's size, trigger pull, and the minimal sights.

Once you break the trigger in. Try to stage it before you fire. When the pull smooths out it will be a lot easier to feel where it's going to let off and get it up to that point before you consciously finish the trigger pull. This will greatly improve your accuracy by reducing the trigger pull stroke to just that last little bit. Making it less likely for you to pull the gun off target straining against the long trigger pull.

At least, that's how it worked for me. It took some relearning going from the other pistols I shoot to get used to the LCP. But in the end it was worth it. Be patient, and by breaking the trigger in manually it should improve your accuracy and save you money in ammo. Paint the sights! If you aren't struggling to pick them up and align them it will also help you focus on your trigger pull and show you when you are doing things that pull you off target.

Lastly, shoot close at first. It's not a custom 1911 and starting at 25yds will probably only hurt your confidence with the LCP. With some practice though... the LCP CAN be fired at that distance. It really is that accurate.
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; May 24th, 2011 at 01:32 PM.

(Tioga County)

I painted my front sight. Made it easier for my old eyes.
    And use the pad of your index finder on the trigger, not the first joint.

elsiepeaforum.com
    MikeP

Ok... since it wasn't mentioned yet...

Do this. Empty the weapon. Remove the magazine.
    MAKE SURE THE WEAPON IS EMPTY!

Break the gun down and GREASE the rails lightly and the slide portion that cocks the hammer.

Now rack the weapon and pull the trigger over and over and over. You don't have to be rough with it, but just do it 200-300 times. When that's done, or your hands get awfully tired break it back down and put a drop of oil on the right side of the slide where the little tab sticks up between the rail. This is right where the trigger bar is. I press the tab down and apply oil with the tip of a syringe type applicator. Just a drop or two and let it run down to the trigger parts you can't see.

Wipe off excess grease. (I recommend applying a little extra grease in the beginning to help protect the parts if you are going to be racking the gun dry a million times.)

Enjoy your 2-3# lighter and smoother trigger pull. As for the recoil of the tiny gun... time to cowboy up. If you want a gun that weighs 8.8oz and fires .380... it is what it is.
    Great post.

I found that after firing about 400rds, the trigger just got really, really nice and broke in.

I personally think my LCP has a very nice trigger pull, but i might have gotten lucky. I've never shot anyone else's LCP.

There's a gunsmith that for $140 will properly notch out the rear sight on your LCP, insert a tritium front sight, and duracoat the slide to boot. I can't remember the name, but a google search should work.
    Last edited by Valorius; May 24th, 2011 at 04:14 PM.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    There's a gunsmith that for $140 will properly notch out the rear sight on your LCP, insert a tritium front sight, and duracoat the slide to boot. I can't remember the name, but a google search should work.

http://www.innovativearms.com/services.html
    MikeP

That's the guy. Seems like an extremely wise upgrade for anyone that is not a fan of the pressure activated crimson trace laserguard.

Probably not a bad idea for a backup sighting option even if you have a laserguard. Since my finish is totally whooped on my LCP from every day carrying anyway, i am definitely going to get this upgrade in the future.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    That's the guy. Seems like an extremely wise upgrade for anyone that is not a fan of the pressure activated crimson trace laserguard.

Probably not a bad idea for a backup sighting option even if you have a laserguard. Since my finish is totally whooped on my LCP from every day carrying anyway, i am definitely going to get this upgrade in the future.
    Yup. I've considered both. Just having a hard time putting what the gun cost into it. Ending up with a $600 LCP x2 is just... well a little rough.

Although with the rebate on the crimson trace right now... It's tempting to jump on that at least.

I'm EDC'ing my LCP, so to me, i don't care if i put $1000 into it, if i'm getting more performance for my money.

I have a CT laserguard on mine, it is amazing how accurate the pistol can be shot with that sight, but in bright daylight it's useless, and any laser's batteries can go out at just the wrong time.

So a good set of tritium iron sights for backup on a life or death CCW piece makes perfect sense to me. I'm worth it, is the way i look at it.

(Allegheny County)

Ok... since it wasn't mentioned yet...

Do this. Empty the weapon. Remove the magazine.
    MAKE SURE THE WEAPON IS EMPTY!

Break the gun down and GREASE the rails lightly and the slide portion that cocks the hammer.

Now rack the weapon and pull the trigger over and over and over. You don't have to be rough with it, but just do it 200-300 times. When that's done, or your hands get awfully tired break it back down and put a drop of oil on the right side of the slide where the little tab sticks up between the rail. This is right where the trigger bar is. I press the tab down and apply oil with the tip of a syringe type applicator. Just a drop or two and let it run down to the trigger parts you can't see.

Wipe off excess grease. (I recommend applying a little extra grease in the beginning to help protect the parts if you are going to be racking the gun dry a million times.)

Enjoy your 2-3# lighter and smoother trigger pull. As for the recoil of the tiny gun... time to cowboy up. If you want a gun that weighs 8.8oz and fires .380... it is what it is.

What he said!!
    "A Man's Just Got To Know His Own Limitations"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast