Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Is it legal to carry a copy of your LTCF in Philly???

Since I have a FL CCL, I was wondering if it was legal for me to carry a copy of the license, so that if I'm ever asked for my license by the PPD they won't be able to confiscate the real license?
    Just curious.

Tmygun

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Is it legal to carry a copy of your LTCF in Philly???

Quote Originally Posted by Tmygun View Post
    Since I have a FL CCL, I was wondering if it was legal for me to carry a copy of the license, so that if I'm ever asked for my license by the PPD they won't be able to confiscate the real license?
    Just curious.

Tmygun
    Forget Philadelphia, a "copy" of your CCL isn't going to cut it anywhere no more than a copy of your driver license would if you were stopped for a traffic violation.
    Steve: NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired), NRA LE Firearms Instructor

(Berks County)

Even though I know it is not legal; Philly has their own gun laws. And, I think there most likely is a disclaimer at the bottom "Gun laws are subject to change at any time without notice"
    Fraggle09027 is not a lawyer. Any advice is just advice (my own 2 cents) and is not expressed or implied as legal advice.

(Allegheny County)

iirc, you have to produce the physical license if they have a reason to ask for it, and as long as you aren't breaking the law, there shouldn't be a reason for them to confiscate it (but I know how wacky things are in Philly.)

Either way, it can't hurt to keep accurate color copies of it at home in a safe or something.
    Last edited by cmanzi; May 22nd, 2011 at 08:20 PM. Reason: misread post
    this is not legal advice.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by XTrooper View Post
    Forget Philadelphia, a "copy" of your CCL isn't going to cut it anywhere no more than a copy of your driver license would if you were stopped for a traffic violation.
    I thought you had to provide evidence of licensure. But I have not been tooling around in this stuff for some time. Can I get a citation of law regarding the LTCF/CCL being invalid to support your claim?

Legally (I know, were talking about Philly) they can't just confiscate it on the spot and declare your LTCF revoked.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses

<SNIP>

(i) Revocation.--A license to carry firearms may be revoked by the issuing authority for good cause. A license to carry firearms shall be revoked by the issuing authority for any reason stated in subsection (e)(1) which occurs during the term of the permit.

Notice of revocation shall be in writing and shall state the specific reason for revocation. Notice shall be sent by certified mail to the individual whose license is revoked, and, at that time, notice shall also be provided to the Pennsylvania State Police by electronic means, including e-mail or facsimile transmission, that the license is no longer valid.

An individual whose license is revoked shall surrender the license to the issuing authority within five days of receipt of the notice. An individual whose license is revoked may appeal to the court of common pleas for the judicial district in which the individual resides. An individual who violates this section commits a summary offense.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tmygun View Post
    Just curious.

Tmygun
    Really doesn't matter when dealing with the Philly PD. They do what they want, when they want, regardless if what they do is legal or not. Holds especially true in the 8th District.

If you think you may have the unfortunate opportunity to be in the 8th District at some time, you may want to practice talking to goons with your face in the dirt while someone holds a gun to your head. And I hope foul language doesn't bother you.

(Chester County)

Discussed in other threads with much disagreement. My suggestion is to carry actual license provided by the issuing authority.

Excerpted from:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-car...r-ltcf-ok.html

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    The statute actually says that you have to show them the license upon lawful demand,not a copy of the license:

§ 6122. Proof of license and exception

(a) General rule.--When carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle, an individual licensed to carry a firearm shall, upon lawful demand of a law enforcement officer, produce the license for inspection. Failure to produce such license either at the time of arrest or at the preliminary hearing shall create a rebuttable presumption of nonlicensure.

(b) Exception.--An individual carrying a firearm on or about his person or in a vehicle and claiming an exception under section 6106(b) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license) shall, upon lawful demand of a law enforcement officer, produce satisfactory evidence of qualification for exception.

I would also be careful about making exact copies of government-issued licenses, certificates, cash or stamps of any sort, there are some broad counterfeiting statutes out there. If you vary the size or go to B&W, that's sometimes a defense.

Other threads:

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-car...py-wallet.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-car...inal-ltcf.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/667...tcf-valid.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...ur-person.html
    IANAL

is it legal to copy your florida license? i know GA makes it a felony to copy theirs iirc........

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Discussed in other threads with much disagreement. My suggestion is to carry actual license provided by the issuing authority.
    Gunlawyer has noted several times that while the quoted statute applies to carrying concealed or in a vehicle, it does not apply to OC in Philadelphia. In that situation, one must "be licensed", and a copy of the actual issues license should suffice as adequate proof.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.