Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Camping

(Lancaster County)

Default Camping

Howdy All,
    My family moved here a couple of years ago, so were unfamiliar where we can go camping. I Googled a couple of lists, but hey all look the same. I liked the idea of Reed's Gap. It looked like it's tent friendly (not a bunch of RV's or someone caping 10 ft from you), but no guns allowed (State Park). Anywhere we can go an hour or two from Lancaster that you don't have to hear the people in the next tent fart. We want to go where we could do some plinking and swimming. I know, that's alot to ask, but were hoping y'all know of somewhere? Sorry if this question has been asked recently. I didn't see it on the first page.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Camping

You can do primitive camping in the State Forests (carry is allowed). there is backpacking, and some forests actually have individual roadside sites for car access. Some of these forests have nice swimming opportunities in creeks that run through them.
    http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry...ping/index.htm

(Lancaster County)

In the NRA website (nraila.org/gunlaws/maps), the map say no carry in state parks. I never saw the last part on the web site for Reed's Gap. Thanks alot.
    Last edited by 1:7twist; May 22nd, 2011 at 02:11 PM.

(Lancaster County)

I went back to the rule & regs for Reed's Gap and found it from another "direction." I looked under 11.215. firearms & hunting and it doesn't say the same thing.
    Last edited by 1:7twist; May 22nd, 2011 at 02:28 PM.

(Mifflin County)

The NRA being wrong.....don't think that'll surprise anyone here. Anyway, Reed's Gap is nice, at least it was the last time I was there. There are a couple short hiking trails in the park, and other parks and trails nearby.

Shooting wise, both Lewistown Pistol Club and Mifflin County Sportsmans are nearby and often have something scheduled. The SGL Scotia range is outside State College, as well.

If you pick a date to come and want info on scheduled matches the weekend you're coming, or have other questions, feel free to contact me.

(Lancaster County)

§ 11.215. Weapons and hunting.
    The following activities are prohibited without written permission of the
    Department:
    (1) Hunting, pursuing or intentionally disturbing woodchucks, also known as
    groundhogs. Paragraph (2) does not apply to this activity.
    (2) Hunting, pursuing or intentionally disturbing wildlife unless:
    (i) The person engaging in the activity is licensed by the Game Commission to
    hunt and is engaged in hunting in accordance with the Game and Wildlife Code.
    (ii) The activity takes place in an area designated by the Department for
    hunting. At Presque Isle State Park, waterfowl hunting may take place only from
    a facility designated by the Department as a waterfowl blind, and shooting shall
    be directed away from State park land and over the adjacent waters.
    (iii) The activity takes place during hunting season as established by the Game
    Commission.
    (iv) The firearm, archery equipment or other device used for this activity is
    lawful for hunting under the Game and Wildlife Code. A device operated by air,
    chemical or gas cylinder by which a projectile can be discharged or propelled is
    not lawful for hunting under the Game and Wildlife Code.
    (3) Using a device, including a firearm, archery equipment or slingshot, that is
    capable of discharging or propelling a projectile, except as provided in paragraph
    (2) or (7).
    (4) Possessing an uncased device, or uncasing a device, including a firearm,
    archery equipment or slingshot, that is capable of discharging or propelling a
    projectile, except as provided in paragraph (2) or (7), or except in the owner's
    building on a leased campsite, in the owner's residence, or in the owner's vehicle
    or trailer.
    (5) Failing to keep a device, including a firearm, archery equipment or
    slingshot, that is capable of discharging or propelling a projectile, in the owner's
    building on a leased campsite, in the owner's residence or in the owner's vehicle
    or trailer. This prohibition does not apply to either of the following:
    (i) A person licensed by the Game Commission to hunt, and in possession of a
    device that is lawful for hunting under the Game and Wildlife Code, during
    hunting season as established by the Game Commission, in a State park open for
    hunting.
    (ii) A person engaged in target-shooting under paragraph (7).
    (6) The trapping of wildlife. This prohibition does not apply to a person
    licensed by the Game Commission to engage in trapping, during trapping season
    as established by the Game Commission, in an area designated by the Department
    for hunting.
    (7) Target-shooting with a device, including a firearm, archery equipment or
    slingshot, capable of discharging or propelling a projectile, except in an area
    designated by the Department for this purpose and in accordance with posted
    requirements and restrictions.
    (8) Dog training, except from the day following Labor Day through March 31,
    in an area designated by the Department for hunting.

(Lancaster County)

Thanks alot, I will do if we go that direction.

(Somerset County)

Try this link, then select "places to stay"

http://padutchcountry.com/index.asp

We've gone to Pinch Pond and Oak Creek during the week, neither were crowded. I don't know what weekends would be like.

Black Moshannon State Park is a good place. It's between State College and Philipsburg. Usually not crowded even on weekends (Holiday excepted). There is a lake with a beach. Scotia Range is not far and there are some other huge gamelands in the area.

Just be prepared for bears!

Dale