Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Insanity Strikes Again: Need a Fix

I have no cash to spend, but already, I need something else. I'm considering:

A CZ-P07 Duty (at around $450 locally), or a CZ-75B (it'll be my 3rd) in stainless, at around $560 (locally).

I've got a few candidates I'm considering taking in to trade (hoping I might see a used P07, but not counting on it).

I, like the rest of you, fully understand the hit I'll take trading, but as you know, it's the nature of the habit. If I end up with something I like, I have no problem with it (as long as I get a fair shake).

The candidates up for possible trade are:
    The Walther PPS (in 9mm). As much as I love it (you may have seen my post here about it), it's sitting in the safe with < 200 rounds through it. I'm a diehard CZ fan, so I might end up putting the P07 to more use.

The Ruger GP-100 (4" barrel). Again, very few rounds through it, and as much as I like having a 357 magnum revolver, I'm not not much of a revolver guy, and it too, is sitting in the safe.

So tell me, am I nuts? Well, okay, we'll accept that as a given. I guess I'm just looking for thoughts on whether or not this seems unusually nuts.

Oh, and I'm a man of little patience, so though a deal via the Classifieds here might work, I need immediate gratification.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Insanity Strikes Again: Need a Fix

So tell me, am I nuts? Well, okay, we'll accept that as a given.
    You're nuts. Feel better? :-)

I so understand the itch to own (fill in the blank.) With me it's been motorcycles and cameras and ...

I've come to the conclusion that given the current economy, I don't want to carry very much debt at all. That said, if you can quickly discharge any debt from buying another pistol, what's the harm?

Of course I don't know your marriage status and whether a significant other might see this with some other perspective. Competing priorities for the dollar resources can make this a much more difficult decision.

Some times the price of the pistol is only the beginning...
    Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat. NRA Life Member

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by drose40 View Post
    You're nuts. Feel better? :-)
    Yep. Suspicion confirmed. Thanks.

I so understand the itch to own (fill in the blank.) With me it's been motorcycles and cameras and ...
    Before guns, with me, it was cell phones/smartphones. This is far more rewarding, and fortunately, this addiction replaced that one, and isn't an additional compulsion.

I've come to the conclusion that given the current economy, I don't want to carry very much debt at all. That said, if you can quickly discharge any debt from buying another pistol, what's the harm?
    Most recently, most everything's been a near even trade, and no debt associated with the buys, so as you said, I suppose it could be worse.

Of course I don't know your marriage status and whether a significant other might see this with some other perspective. Competing priorities for the dollar resources can make this a much more difficult decision.

Some times the price of the pistol is only the beginning...
    Marriage status = was, not now (long time ago, and neither phone or gun addictions had anything to do with it). So, that's not a factor in my case.

So, today's madness led me from the Walther PPS to a new Ruger SR9c. Who knows where that'll be (the SR9c) a week from now.

"I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Lycoming County)

So, today's madness led me from the Walther PPS
    HHMMm. What was your take on the Walther? That one looks like it might be easy to CC. Kind of interesting. Slim is a trade off for capacity, but then one may not need brigade level firepower in a carry package.

Regards.
    Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat. NRA Life Member

(Montgomery County)

HHMMm. What was your take on the Walther? That one looks like it might be easy to CC. Kind of interesting. Slim is a trade off for capacity, but then one may not need brigade level firepower in a carry package.

Regards.
    I liked the Walther a lot. Nicely made, easy to be accurate with, nice trigger. Not much bad to say about it. But, the magazine capacities were 6,7 or 8 round (single stack). I typically carry a Glock 30, but wanted an alternative in 9mm. What first attracted me to the Walther PPS, was what led me to leave it in the safe: the very thin grip. Though I've made no measurements, the SR9c, feels narrower than the Glock and wider than the PPS - just right. Seriously though, there's nothing wrong at all (of any significance) with the PPS. I'm just always looking for something that's "perfect". As we know, that doesn't exist, but with the SR9c, I'm getting a better feeling grip width, 10 rounds capacity with the "standard" mag, and 17 round capacity with the included very nice fitting second mag. Basically, it's kind of like having both a Glock 26 (with the 10 round mag in it) and Glock 19 with a magazine swap.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    I liked the Walther a lot. Nicely made, easy to be accurate with, nice trigger. Not much bad to say about it. But, the magazine capacities were 6,7 or 8 round (single stack). I typically carry a Glock 30, but wanted an alternative in 9mm. What first attracted me to the Walther PPS, was what led me to leave it in the safe: the very thin grip. Though I've made no measurements, the SR9c, feels narrower than the Glock and wider than the PPS - just right. Seriously though, there's nothing wrong at all (of any significance) with the PPS. I'm just always looking for something that's "perfect". As we know, that doesn't exist, but with the SR9c, I'm getting a better feeling grip width, 10 rounds capacity with the "standard" mag, and 17 round capacity with the included very nice fitting second mag. Basically, it's kind of like having both a Glock 26 (with the 10 round mag in it) and Glock 19 with a magazine swap.
    I have the SR9 and the Walther PPS in 9mm. I bought the PPS before the SR9c came out. I've also shot the SR9c. Both are excellent choices. Also, the SR9c is considerably cheaper then the PPS....

Oh, and the 6,7, or 8 round thing? I just carry a spare in my pocket....
    Quote Originally Posted by exceltoexcel View Post
    I wonder what kind of retention holsters everyone wore 150 years ago?

(Cumberland County)

Well... You're certainly not crazy. If you are I'll gladly go to the funny farm with you.

Flavor of the week. I just need something new, regularly.

If you're interested I've got a P07 Duty I'd offer you plus a fair trade toward the PPS. Better deal than any gun shop would offer you.

Hit me up in the PMs if you feel so inclined.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Centre County)

I'll take that GP100 off your hands for a fair price, you know, to help a brother out.......
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Well... You're certainly not crazy. If you are I'll gladly go to the funny farm with you.

Flavor of the week. I just need something new, regularly.

If you're interested I've got a P07 Duty I'd offer you plus a fair trade toward the PPS. Better deal than any gun shop would offer you.

Hit me up in the PMs if you feel so inclined.
    Thanks, but I already traded the PPS for the (new) Ruger SR9c, which might last. I looked at, and fondled the P07 again, but ergonomically, the SR9c felt better. "Flavor of the week" describes it perfectly. Who knows what I'll be after next week.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by FLICK View Post
    I'll take that GP100 off your hands for a fair price, you know, to help a brother out.......
    Thanks.
    The GP100 went today (yeah, it's more like "Flavor of the Day" recently, than "Flavor of the Week". I got the gun below, and some credit (which of course, I spent on ammo).

I'm going to explain this, because even I am shocked that I ended up getting the gun I did. I saw it on Saturday, checked it out, and (for once) decided to think about it. Did some homework, and found that as expected, opinions are mixed. But, I thought, if I'm going to buy one of these guns (and this one does appear to be nice, best to buy one used. Given that it felt good, and that the manufacturer provides a lifetime warranty on the gun (regardless of owner), I decided to go with it.

Yeah, you guessed. My first Taurus (I feel odd just typing the name). It's a PT940, in what appears to be a somewhat unusual configuration. Stainless slide, but not the model with gold accent. Instead, the frame appears to be nickel, and as you can see, it's got rosewood grips. Will it work/shoot well? I'll know tomorrow night. If not, I suppose I'll learn how Taurus' customer service is (heard it's decent, but again, people's experiences vary).

So, to Taurus fans: I've joined the ranks of Taurus owners, and hope to be pleased. To those who are prepared to "dope-slap" me on the back of the head: I suppose I deserve it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast