Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Legal M1

(Monroe County)

Question Legal M1

Hope GL sees this. I know a guy that got an M-1 for his 2nd DUI. Nobody informed him of his being prohibited.
    He was even issued a Pa hunting license. WTF doesn't the game commission exchange info? He has lot's of long guns.

I'm wondering if I was mistaken about this.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Legal M1

You can still hunt with a bow & arrow if you are prohibited from firearms possession. So there is no reason for the PGC to report getting a hunting license.

His continued possession of guns is a whole other matter.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    So there is no reason for the PGC to report getting a hunting license.

His continued possession of guns is a whole other matter.
    What confuses me is the opposite. Why doesn't the judicial system send a notice so the game commission can flag him. He was never informed of any kind of firearm prohibition by the judge, probation dept or his lawyer.
    Issuing him his hunting license led him to believe all is ok.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpan View Post
    The general prohibition regarding M1 offenses is federal, so isn't something that state officials have a real need to concern themselves with. It would be nice if they had given your buddy a heads up, but it isn't their law or their problem.
    It's also state level too.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    What confuses me is the opposite. Why doesn't the judicial system send a notice so the game commission can flag him. He was never informed of any kind of firearm prohibition by the judge, probation dept or his lawyer.
    Issuing him his hunting license led him to believe all is ok.
    Why and how would he be flagged? He can still lawfully hunt with archery equipment.. ..having a hunting license isn't indicative of owning a firearm. The PGC doesn't issue the licenses directly. Retailers and county treasurers do.

The judge, DA, probation dept, or his attorney should have told him of his legal restrictions upon conviction.

I suspect that the probation department did notify him of it, but he ignored it. When I was put on probation(ARD) for a DUI 11 years ago in PA and 17 years ago in Florida for something else I had to sign a notice of what all I couldn't do, and what all I couldn't possess, during the the term. Probation officers are generally pretty helpful to you in letting you know all of your present and future legal restrictions.

It isn't up to the PGC to notify hunters of such restrictions. And there is no legal means for them to. Hunting is legal for prohibited persons with the appropriate tools.

If anyone is to fault - it is his lawyer for not telling him of his new restraints on his civil rights.