Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default S&W M&P mag loading into gun concern

We are still pretty new to semi autos and not sure if this is a problem or not. When i load a magazine into our M&P9mm everything is fine - but sometimes my husband will apply more force than necessary and it causes the slide to go into battery (i think that is what it is called..) What i mean is that when he slams in the mag, the slide goes forward loading a bullet into the chamber all together in one motion.

We are not sure if an adjustment is needed or if this happens if too much force is used when loading the mag.
    Thanks,

(York County)

Default Re: S&W M&P mag loading into gun concern

I've had it happen on several pistols, the slide stop is releasing under the force applied by you husband slamming the magazine in. Not sure of a fix, other than not slamming the magazine home.

(Berks County)

S&W's customer support tends to be pretty good; you or your husband might want to call them and ask them if such a condition is normal, and if the gun needs to be serviced or sent to them for repair.

I have an M&P in 9mm, and I've inserted the mag "with authority" on occasion, but in doing so I've never seen the slide automatically move forward and put a round in the chamber.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Montgomery County)

I have seen/read about this more so with certain pistols than others...

For instance, this seems to be considered normal w/ most of the poly-framed HK's. I have also read about it happening in Glocks. And if I really slam the mag in with gusto, I can make it happen on one of my Sig P225's.

I read somewhere that it has to do w/ the angle you hold the mag in relation to the pistol during reload, as well as the design of that particular pistol's slide intercept notch and its interface with the slide catch lever. Probably a combination of several other factors, as well...

So, while a call to S&W can't hurt, I would bet that they'll say it's completely normal that he slide drops and chambers a round when the mag is vigorously inserted.

Regards,

Bones

(Bucks County)

I have an M&P for a little over a year now but I've never had that happen...yet anyway
    Jesus is Lord !

(Delaware County)

I've had it happen on my M&P and my Glocks. I also see this a lot when SO'ing IDPA matches. With the timer on, stress causes folks to forcefully seat a reload. From everything I've read and seen, it doesn't hurt the firearm.

The key is to make sure your finger is off the trigger when you seat the magazine and you'll be fine.
    "...The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded...It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force."
    Marko Kloos 2007

(Berks County)

I bought an LE model with magazine safety and I believe the manual says that it automatically releases when magazine is firmly inserted.

I actually just tried it a few times and it worked and chambered a round. If you insert the mag and bump the bottom of the magazine the slide closes without changing a round. When I first bought the pistol I was doing mag changes just by slamming the mags in. Under stress I would rack the slide unless I felt very comfortable firmly inserting the mags.

Of course I cannot find the manual to confirm.

(Allegheny County)

Just got a confirmation from Smith & Wesson that this is an M&P gun and is designed to perform that way for a rapid reload situation. It reduces one step in the reload function. If loaded less aggressively, it works as a standard pistol.

Thanks for the input.

(Washington County)

I just bought a new M&P9 a few days ago, and noticed the same thing already.

What I do now is leave the slide closed, insert the mag. That way you have to rack the slide to chamber a round.
    Or I just slam the mag and start shooting.

Would be nice if the slide lock held up better, but it seems its designed that way.

(Allegheny County)

Mines does this regularly. I've had it happen quite a bit with other pistols too, but not quite so consistently as with the M&P. I don't think it's a big deal.

The only thing that bothers me about it, is that it messes up training with consistency. If you get used to it closing on it's own, then you aren't drilling yourself to complete the process.
    "There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast