Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Help legalize semi-auto in PA HB 347 2011-2012

Got your attention?

This bill is only for limited use of semi-auto 22 for certain game.

HB 347 allows the use of semi-automatic 22 caliber rim fire rifles or smaller for the taking of coyotes, foxes or woodchucks that are typically considered pests by many farmers.

Additionally with enough support, nothing saying this couldn’t be amended to add other small game species right now while its in committee process.

Rep Sonney is the prime sponsor of HB 347 current sponsors are
    SONNEY, CAUSER, CUTLER, DENLINGER, ELLIS, FABRIZIO, FLECK, GEIST, GODSHALL, GROVE, HESS, HUTCHINSON, KORTZ, MARSHALL, METCALFE, METZGAR, PYLE, STEVENSON and CHRISTIANA
    If you are for the concept consider contacting any of the Reps not listed.

If you want a list drawn up of who the best ones to contact say the word.

You can also just contact / ask the chairman of the GAME & FISHERIES committee to bring this up for a public hearing or a vote (see link).
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...?cde=18&body=H

Might be a good idea to contact other Reps on this committee as well

It’s going to be a tough sell to change many people minds for legalizing semi autos rifles for deer hunting in one step move, (including many hunters) this is the small step approach. Legalize semi-auto rifles here, next expand to other small game species after no problems with this change. Then make the case for big game species. Many other changes to the title 34 (game codes) where done in the same little step process that many of you now enjoy the results.

Sure its going to take more time, little support from hunters, little change possible, still a valid strategy with only a little support.

Rather than working to help change the law. Might be just easier to move out of PA to enjoy what 40 of the 50 states already allow the use of semi-automatic rifles to harvest a variety of game or just deal with the status quo in PA and don’t complain.

Note: In PA it is already legal to use semi-automatic shotguns for small game and deer hunting (select areas).

READ the text here of HB 347

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...type=B&BN=0347
    Learn how to really SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment cause Go To http://www.foac-pac.org/

Default Re: Help legalize semi-auto in PA HB 347 2011-2012

I was pushing Curt to go upto .223 but that opens a can of worms.
    I'm still trying to learn the whole baby steps/compromise thing.

(Lancaster County)

It's a good baby step.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

It is.
    One thing to keep in mind is that we are not going to get past the 3 round including chamber rule, we shouldn't expect to, at this time.

I don't want anyone thinking this was my idea, lots of people worked at this, I'm just glad to see the efforts come to light.
    Last edited by P89; May 20th, 2011 at 01:32 PM. Reason: specifics

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by P89 View Post
    It is.
    One thing to keep in mind is that we are not going to get past the 3 round including chamber rule, we shouldn't expect to.
    3 round rule is a deal with the feds over migratory game (market hunting mostly) that been carried over into other areas in tile 34 hunting regulations over the years.

Right now there is no mag capacity limits for 22 or smaller manually operated rifles (bolt, pump, lever action) for hunting, works the same with with maually operated big game rifles, so the 3 round limit is a non problem right now.
    Learn how to really SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment cause Go To http://www.foac-pac.org/

From my understanding magazine capacity was the next issue.
    I suggested a 5 round cap since most manually operated rifles hold 5 rounds.
    I'm not the best shot ever but if someone needs more than 5 rounds (when hunting) in rapid succession to hit something they need to stop shooting anyways.

(Lancaster County)

I'm not the best shot ever but if someone needs more than 5 rounds (when hunting) in rapid succession to hit something they need to stop shooting anyways.
    If it's the same thing being shot at all 5 times, sure. Hogs and coyotes you might be shooting at 3-5 of them very fast and that's what you need to do.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
    So do you want to help change the laws or just complain no semi auto rifles for hunting in PA?

There are numerous threads about the pro and con of legalizing semi-auto rifles in PA.

Requesting this thread be kept on the task of actually doing something to pass HB 347 into law
    I'll call all of them monday.

(Jefferson County)

From my understanding magazine capacity was the next issue.
    I suggested a 5 round cap since most manually operated rifles hold 5 rounds.
    No need to suggest a 5rnd cap on semi-auto rimfires. Centerfires, yeah - that could be called for. But not rimfires for small game.

There are some rimfire semi-auto's that there is no practical means to limit the capacity due to the design of the gun. Tubular mag rimfires are one example. Sure, you do put a rod in the tube sorta like a shotgun - but may tubes are not designed to come apart easily to add one.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Just getting back to this, been busy.

I understand what you guys are saying but from what I have heard is that a mag cap is needed so somebody doesn't go coyote hunting with a 50 round drum in their 10/22. Of course, like Knight pointed out, it's not all inclusive.
    I think that is where some sort of ethics on the part of the hunter is needed.

Why I suggested a 5 round cap is becuase there's already language in chapter 23, section 2322 exceptions refering to disabled persons that...

Any automatic or semi automatic firearm, except that any semi automatic firearem modified to permit one shell in the chamber and no more than four shells in a magazine may be used by a person who suffered an amputation or lost the total use of one or both hands.

This refers to big game for people with a disability but it's language that's already there to draw from.

The participaction in this thread speaks volumes, kinda like the turn out at the 2a rally.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast