Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Help legalize semi-auto in PA HB 347 2011-2012

Quote Originally Posted by C27433 View Post
    While this is true, it is not only a matter of apathy. There are those in the gun owner community who are actually opposed to the legislation on a matter of principle, who view hunting as an art form to be preserved in which semi-automatic firearms have no place. I am not saying that they are right or wrong, but it's worth bringing attention to for the purpose of clearly understanding the obstacles that this legislation faces. I also think that this position is more difficult (though not impossible) to argue against then the "dangerous spraying of bullets" defense.
    To those people I have a response as well. What is the art of hunting, exactly? What part of it is lost with me having a modern rifle in my hand when out in the woods or field with everything else the same as I would with a bolt action gun?

*Knowing and mastering the terrain and habits of my quarry?
    *Keeping myself physically fit to be able to traverse long distances on foot, climb with my treestand, haul my gear plus anything I harvest?
    *Spending quality time with friends and family and appreciating the outdoors?
    *Engaging in the traditions of my family and the great people of my culture?
    *Observing all other wildlife, plants, geology, and topography in the area?

Not a bit of that is changed in any way whatsoever. Nor is what they rather blusteringly and ignorantly claim is changed. Marksmanship and commitment to a single shot at a time is NOT altered by having a semi auto rifle. Examine Camp Perry and other rifle shooting competitions--do they honestly think those guys (and lots of ladies, for that matter) don't take safety and precision seriously? Would they say their rifles are LESS accurate than bolt action ones? I bet they as well as I could tell you more about our rifles than a "traditional" user can of theirs, practice as much if not many times more, and spend as much or more on the sport which as you know pays into the Pittman-Robinson fund which makes this all happen for everyone.

What apparently changes for the Luddites is what they imagine in their heads or feel somehow. They GUESS, they THINK, they SUPPOSE, they IMAGINE someone with a semi auto rifle doesn't aim BECAUSE it's semi auto. Gee, don't we tell other people who oppose hunting based on the same to at very least learn what their talking about before they assume the worst and act against us accordingly? Does that way of thinking work in the workplace, guessing or imagining that pages 11 to 39 out of a 50 page contract, purchase order, or equipment manual read the way one thinks they do because they've read pages 1-10 and 40-50? Would you tell your kids to do their homework and study for tests that way?

I drink Yuengling, they drink Budweiser--do you see me trying to outlaw their Budweiser? Is there a single drop less of the beer of their choice left to drink because I drink what I do? I eat colby or pepper jack in my sandwiches, they might eat swiss or provolone--I don't try to get the grocery stores to take swiss and provolone off the shelves for them. Does me having a Honda in my garage threaten their Toyota, just because they'd like to see more Toyotas on the road?

Oh, but there's nothing in it for them. As mentioned above, at very least there's my Pittman-Robinson taxes and license fees and that of those of tens of thousands others out there. Do I spit in your hand if you hold out a slice of pizza for me? If nothing else, if they gain nothing for themselves personally, if they have any class about themselves whatsoever and any form of worthwhile upbringing in their family they should know that one place where selfishness absolutely does not belong is in hunting, shooting sports, and the gun culture at large. Generosity and value of freedom are two things that it taught me as being central values that are inseparable parts of it, that I teach others in hunter's education and other related instructional opportunities, and is present with the vast majority of others I have met. Having lived in two anti gun states has made me appreciate it even more that we are a fraternity that absolutely MUST stick up for every aspect of legal gun ownership and use, and to expand freedom thereof at every possible opportunity. That's not politics, that's plain and simple fact. People can ignore reality but they cannot escape the consequences of it, and no way in hell will I sit idly by and absorb the consequences of someone else's apathy or ignorance.

Those who would exclude semi auto rifles from hunting are not only wrong, but damnably wrong in total right down to the core.
    Last edited by Yellowfin; October 17th, 2011 at 04:09 PM.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Lancaster County)

Still no committee meeting. Are they purposefully trying to stall this out to kill it?
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

I'd be kinda pissed if they adopted this now. I finally broke down and bought some manually operated hunting guns, lol.

(Montgomery County)

OMG it might get a committee meeting!

Quick run for the hills semi-automatic hunters will start shooting up the woods and killing all of our children..

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    I'd be kinda pissed if they adopted this now. I finally broke down and bought some manually operated hunting guns, lol.
    Actually I be on the other side one from you as already have all the manual operating guns for hunting, i would have to go shopping.

Except for a high capacity semi-auto deer shotgun PA legal for use in the most crowded with homes parts of PA. Still not legal in rural parts of PA (go figure) IF semi auto shotguns for deer hunting are more dangerous, why legal in the most heavily populated counties. Show the BS hunting regulation for what they are as did the rifle vs shotgun PGC study on going to shot gun only for deer hunting in PA.

IF enough of us spoke up this could even be amended in committee to up the size what we could use on the varmints listed to even include center fire or even include more species to be hunted with semi-auto rifles.

SEE OP

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    Still no committee meeting. Are they purposefully trying to stall this out to kill it?
    Right now this G&F committee is focused on sunday hunting (for & against) three public hearing all around the state

what is lacking on this bill is people FOR the Concept to contact the Reps, much as why the reason it didn't go anywhere last session either.

The bill died without action, as we didn't do our part to speak up FOR support, don't expect any different result unless people ask the Reps to act on this one.

Learn how to really SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment cause Go To http://www.foac-pac.org/

(Lancaster County)

I call, email, Facebook, and Tweet them regularly on the subject plus 1760 as well. Is nobody else doing their part? This is a SIMPLE improvement with ZERO downsides. Given how much of a problem coyotes are and feral hogs will be, and the need for the new generation of people to be hunters who generally prefer semi autos, the phones should be ringing off the hooks in support of this.

Quote Originally Posted by P89 View Post
    I was pushing Curt to go upto .223 but that opens a can of worms.
    I'm still trying to learn the whole baby steps/compromise thing.
    I think rimfires for coyotes is going to open a can of worms. By not allowing centerfires,I believe there are going to be many wounded coyotes out there running around. Many who want semi to hunt with will use the 22 just to hunt with a semi. This is not good in the least. I would not want to support this bill just for rimfires. Other states including PA that has some of the highest population allows semi shotguns during deer season. We are talking about slugs that are more powerful than most rifle calibers that are being used in PA and not a problem has became of this. Why settle for rimfires? I will not support this bill just for rimfires and I advise others to do the same. Go for the centerfires also or nothing.

(Lancaster County)

All or nothing wins nothing 75% of the time. Take the win and build on it instead of throwing it away. Semi auto rimfire is perfectly good for squirrel, rabbit, and several other things, and .22 Magnum for coyote works quite well within reasonable parameters. Adding centerfire can be done probably the very next year after rimfire is passed--if you don't do it that way it can take 5-7 years instead of 2. Why be stupid?

Personally I want/prefer semi auto for hunting squirrel, coyote, deer, hogs, elk, bear...hmm, what else is there?
    Last edited by Yellowfin; February 17th, 2012 at 10:45 PM.

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

.22 mag is not always a good go for coyotes, I've too heard some stories of ones that were chest hit, ran off, left little blood, and couldn't be found. Shame to waste...
    LOL, I am a woman...

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    All or nothing wins nothing 75% of the time. Take the win and build on it instead of throwing it away. Semi auto rimfire is perfectly good for squirrel, rabbit, and several other things, and .22 Magnum for coyote works quite well within reasonable parameters. Adding centerfire can be done probably the very next year after rimfire is passed--if you don't do it that way it can take 5-7 years instead of 2. Why be stupid?

Personally I want/prefer semi auto for hunting squirrel, coyote, deer, hogs, elk, bear...hmm, what else is there?
    That bill is not about small game. It's about A fox,coyote and a groundhog.
    As for semi auto 22mags. Good luck with finding them. The only 2 affordable makers for that round is CZ and remington. And your looking at 500$ without optics easy compared to how many would spend 150 to 200 for a LR rimfire semi.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast