Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Help legalize semi-auto in PA HB 347 2011-2012

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    Has anyone other than me pointed out that the spray and pray stupidity in PA seen is probably due to the stupidly short season that puts inordinately high pressure on people to "score" within the artificially narrow opportunity they have?
    I'm sure that plays into it as much as inexperience. Think about it...if a guy only rifle hunts in PA he typically hunts Monday (Tuesday if he's lucky), then the following two Saturdays. So each year he is out maybe 4 days total. Granted, there are guys that go to camp, but if you compare the number of hunters afield on Monday to what you see two days later on Wednesday the numbers drastically reduce.

This lack of field time I'm sure greatly contributes to the "shoot at anything moving" and the blasting away at every deer seen, although I have no way of validating it. For years we in PA went out in hopes of shooting a single animal. In other states a hunter shoots in a single season what we in PA shoot in a decade (unless we are lucky enough to have hunted other states).

FJagr
    Last edited by FJagr; October 18th, 2012 at 10:29 AM.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    Has anyone other than me pointed out that the spray and pray stupidity in PA seen is probably due to the stupidly short season that puts inordinately high pressure on people to "score" within the artificially narrow opportunity they have?
    There is some truth to that. But I've seen spray & pray in states where hunting season was longer too.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yachera View Post
    The Rossi is considered a semiauto in austrailia, they can only have the single action there but semantics aside I understand what you're saying.

If the circuit judge is a rifle than it can have a stock, a sixteen inch barrel, fire shot shells, and the NFA be damned, eh?
    If it has a rifled bore it isn't a "smoothbore" - thus, it is a rifle**. One must also consider the overall length too with that NFA equation. If the stock and action are relatively short, a 16" barrel may put a gun under the 26" minimum overall length. There are singleshot break-top actions in youth models that would be a SBR if someone were to cut the barrel down to 16".

The .45/410 version of the Circuit Judge is a rifle. It is a .45Colt rifle. It just happens to have a cylinder with chambers long enough to accommodate .410shotgun shells. Remember, its not the cartridge that determines what the gun is - it is the gun itself. Using CCI's .22LR shotshells in a CZ-452 doesn't make it a shotgun, nor does using .38spl shotshells in my snubnose revolver make it a shotgun.

**Rifled shotguns aren't considered "rifles". They have a special exemption from Destructive Device prohibitions. Their rifling is raised from the bore. Where as a rifle's rifling is cut into the bore.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

What's wrong with 365 hunting but have limits on the amount of game you can kill? I mean, we already have tags, why aren't tags enough? With tags, there's (little) worry about game being wiped out.

If not 365 for everything, then a few months here and there for exclusive bow-hunting, then bow + Rifle/Shotgun, then at least 6 months where semi owners can get in the mix. Am I oversimplifying, or am I making sense?
    Iconoclastic Individual Specimen

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolPC View Post
    What's wrong with 365 hunting but have limits on the amount of game you can kill? I mean, we already have tags, why aren't tags enough? With tags, there's (little) worry about game being wiped out.

If not 365 for everything, then a few months here and there for exclusive bow-hunting, then bow + Rifle/Shotgun, then at least 6 months where semi owners can get in the mix. Am I oversimplifying, or am I making sense?

We do need seasons for most critters. Most hunting seasons are to help insure that breeding takes place to maintain a population.

(Lancaster County)

Also the seasons are designed to where the biological surplus will be what's taken, i.e. the peak of the population before winter's cold and limited food thins the population, as such that the net effect on the population which will be present again in the spring is minimal.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Lackawanna County)

Hell we all could just buy straight pull uppers for ours AR's slap a beta-mag in them and go trolling during rifle season. I know I am
    No amount of law enforcement can solve a problem that goes back to the family~J.E.Hoover

Talking Re: Help legalize semi-auto in PA HB 347 2011-2012

Quote Originally Posted by Yachera View Post
    Hell we all could just buy straight pull uppers for ours AR's slap a beta-mag in them and go trolling during rifle season. I know I am
    And this would be different from your usual forum Trolling, how?
    Iconoclastic Individual Specimen

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolPC View Post
    And this would be different from your usual forum Trolling, how?
    This would be trolling IRL, much more satisfying. And most of my posts are serious :P
    But some occasional levity or an odd jest is good too.
    No amount of law enforcement can solve a problem that goes back to the family~J.E.Hoover

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314