Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Smile coonan arms .357 auto

thats right .357 not .357 sig. saw these at nra convention, the gun it based on the 1911 platform. looked good felt good except for slightly longer grip (front to back dimension). the mag is the special piece in this set up, the rounds lay one in front of another so the rim on the cartridges don't interfear with each other. these were introduced several years ago, didn't catch on and $ caused them to close up. they are back again with some improvements. just wondering what you all might think. the idea appeals to me since i like 1911s anyhow. any feedback ? shoot straight have fun be safe, red dog

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: coonan arms .357 auto

Would definitely intrigue me. Any possibility of a 38 SPL conversion?

I always wished I'd bought one "back in the day". Didn't realize they came back out with them. What are they going for? Used originals are decent $$.

(Adams County)

A novelty item for sure, but I wouldn't bet my life on reliability of a rimmed centerfire cartridge in a semi-auto pistol. I have a Desert Eagle 44, which I also consider a novelty, but sure is fun to play around with.

BIG 1911 like 357 mag haven't seen any for a while. In 357 or 44 mag that would be a bang to shoot. From long along it was accurate but had problem rapid fire. I'd like to see/read a side by comparison of the Desert Eagle and the Connan in both caliber.

(Blair County)

There was a big writeup in the May 2, 2011 Shotgun News. Looks like an interesting piece. I think it would round out my .357 collection.

Coonan .357 Mag 1911 here. MSRP is $1200 for the cheapest package (fixed sights, 1 mag).

I've never bought anything from them, but their FAL receivers and customer service are generally regarded as excellent. Coonan also used to make NDS's AK receivers.

(Pike County)

I always wanted to see more auto-loaders chambered in common Magnum rounds, the Desert Eagle was cool but way too unreliable. If this pistol proves to be reliable I could see owning one someday.
    Last edited by LifeInPa; May 20th, 2011 at 01:24 PM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MMMB View Post
    I always wished I'd bought one "back in the day". Didn't realize they came back out with them. What are they going for? Used originals are decent $$.
    Supposedly the new pistols have had been redesigned (or at least tweaked) to improve reliability with a variety of loads.

Quote Originally Posted by jtwalker View Post
    A novelty item for sure, but I wouldn't bet my life on reliability of a rimmed centerfire cartridge in a semi-auto pistol. I have a Desert Eagle 44, which I also consider a novelty, but sure is fun to play around with.
    Personally, I think it's more than just a novelty, assuming its reliability has indeed improved. For leftys like myself, this is a way to have the stopping power of a magnum load and the 357's extremely flat trajectory on a platform which is much more LH friendly than a revolver.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Cumberland County)

Smile Re: coonan arms .357 auto

mzagoo, if memory is working my discussion with the owner/designer at the convention he mentioned the gun comes with two springs. one spring is for magnum loads and the other is for standard loads. i didn't think to ask if you could use 38 brass. i would think you could use 357 brass loaded to 38 specs.. i haven't seen any on the shelves yet, typical of most new stuff it takes awhile to get out there. if any of you get your hands on one and shoot it let us know whats up. thanks for all the responses to this thread this gun has me interested and your comments are appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast