Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Indiana County)

Default Carrying Disassembled Firearm

Hey folks,
    I had a thought cross my mind about carrying a disassembled firearm. I have my LTCF, but I wondered if carrying a disassemled, i.e. just gun parts, is still conisdered carrying a concealed weapon? By disassembled I mean: slide, spring, grip, and magazines in separate containers and basically rendered useless. I will be carrying a Ruger LCP if that helps.

The reason for this thought is that I will be traveling to Harrisburg and Philly via Amtrak (and there is no way I'm going to either place without my firearm). Their policy is you have to declare a firearm and place it in a checked bag. Unfortunately, they do not offer checked bags on the trains I will be using. My question is: Is it still considered carrying a firearm if I disassemble my weapon, place the parts in seperate containers, and carry them on to the train?

Basically, I'm asking if is says in PA code that parts of a firearm are the same as an assembled firearm. Thanks for the help.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Carrying Disassembled Firearm

It is my understanding that the receiver itself is considered the firearm from a federal standpoint. So I’m not sure if breaking the pistol down to components would make a difference.

(Centre County)

The frame, which you called the 'grip', of your LCP would still be considered a firearm by all applicable laws. It wouldn't matter if it's non-functioning, unless it was permanently non-functioning (can't, under any circumstances, be converted back).

(Jefferson County)

The receiver itself is the firearm regardless of it's build-state.

For the purpose of concealing outside of Philly, only a handgun that has a barrel less than 15" is a firearm. If it's just a handgun receiver without a barrel present, it cant be "firearm" because there is no comparative barrel to measure, thus isn't regulated under 6106(a).

So long as there is NO barrel present, it cannot be a "firearm" as defined under 6102. The ATF even concurred that it's build state is what matters, which forced the PSP to stop requiring AR15 long guns and virgin receivers from being "transferred" on the SP4-113 form.

The police, DA, or a lawyer may say otherwise - but the wording of the law, and the definition of "firearm" says another.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Indiana County)

Ok, so according to the applicable laws, the receiver or frame is the part of the gun that matters.
    But according to knight 0334, if no barrel is present, its not considered a "firearm"?

I obviously dont want to break any laws, I just want to know if/how I can get my LCP to Harrisburg and Philly.

It should be ok for a person to transport "parts" of a firearm, right? What if my wife has a few "parts" and I have a few "parts"?

I don't know about Amtrak, but I believe I remember reading in another thread that you can't carry any gun parts in your carry-on baggage when flying commercially. The theory is that if you have multiple people each carrying on individual components of a firearm, then while in transit, the parts could be assembled into a functioning weapon. I expect the same will apply to traveling by train as well.

Before recommending a course of action, we need to know a little more about the duration of your trip and where you plan on going in those cities. If you are only going for a day or two, and if you are going to stick to the nicer parts of town, you will likely be fine without your gun. Just be sure to be alert and use good judgment. If you're going for an extended period of time (weeks or months) and staying at a single fixed residence, you might consider shipping your gun to yourself via common carrier.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by XJeffro View Post
    Ok, so according to the applicable laws, the receiver or frame is the part of the gun that matters.
    But according to knight 0334, if no barrel is present, its not considered a "firearm"?

I obviously dont want to break any laws, I just want to know if/how I can get my LCP to Harrisburg and Philly.

It should be ok for a person to transport "parts" of a firearm, right? What if my wife has a few "parts" and I have a few "parts"?

Sorry for the confusion.

For Amtrak, they will follow a set of rules more like airline TSA. You will probably have declare the gun and it's parts in checked luggage. Amtrak is governed also by federal guidelines, so the the mere receiver is the "firearm".
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Sorry for the confusion.

For Amtrak, they will follow a set of rules more like airline TSA. You will probably have declare the gun and it's parts in checked luggage. Amtrak is governed also by federal guidelines, so the the mere receiver is the "firearm".
    The very same officers that work for the airline branch of TSA also work in the Amtrak branch. Okay, well not the same individual officers, but the job descriptions and procedures are the same. They use the exact same regulations; after all, it's the same agency.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Sorry for the confusion.

OK. That makes sense. I guess I'm back to square one. Or driving my own vehicle... Thanks for all the help.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by y0rlik View Post
    I don't know about Amtrak, but I believe I remember reading in another thread that you can't carry any gun parts in your carry-on baggage when flying commercially
    Correct when flying you cannot carry the firearm in a carry on and MUST be checked as a specialty items. I am flying tomorrow with my firearms