Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Default Looking for info. on the DNR shooting range on PA93 near Hazleton

Does anybody have any experiences with shooting at the DNR public range off of PA93 near Hazleton? I was looking for a local place to shoot, specifically handguns. I found some information on the DNR website, but it didn't go into much detail, including where to pay the $30 annual fee for use.

I have not shot regularly over the past year, but am looking to increase my trigger pulling this year. If I should just be looking into a private range instead, I would be looking in eastern Carbon County or western Monroe County. I usually shoot with my brother at ranges in Bucks County, but our schedules have not overlapped very well recently.
    ...and they have a plan...

Default Re: Looking for info. on the DNR shooting range on PA93 near Hazleton

I recently found out that I live the same distance for the Carbon County range as I do from the one in Tobyhanna off of 423. There was a thread on the Tobyhanna range explaining the good and the bads of things there. The Tobyhanna range has 10 yard ranges for handguns, which may serve me better than the 25 and 50 yard ones, at least for starters, until I get back to some regular shooting habbits.

(Luzerne County)

I stopped going to that range about 3yrs ago. Majority of the people were lowlifes, and in my opinion should not be allowed to own a firearm.

I was there once when a hispanic group pull up and without warning one of the men from the group walks about 5 ft from the target and starts blasting away with a snubnose. Then when i complain he tells me, it's ok you won't bother me. Another time a group of them were waving handguns all around and trying to shoot like they were in the movies. i will never step foot there again.

I heard some similar stories on the thread about the Tobyhanna range. And a few good stories too.

I was recently at the Tobyhanna and Nesquehoning ranges twice each, with no problems, and no "Hollywood auditions." Shooting at 25 yards with pocket-size 380s is a bit of a challenge, so I will probably be frequenting the Tobyhanna range to use the 10 yard range.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by cgbudde View Post
    I stopped going to that range about 3yrs ago. Majority of the people were lowlifes, and in my opinion should not be allowed to own a firearm.

I was there once when a hispanic group pull up and without warning one of the men from the group walks about 5 ft from the target and starts blasting away with a snubnose. Then when i complain he tells me, it's ok you won't bother me. Another time a group of them were waving handguns all around and trying to shoot like they were in the movies. i will never step foot there again.
    Ditto. Stopped going around the same time for the same reasons. It seems like the local gangs head out there to practice for everything we read in the news.

I had another occurrence where a man without hearing protection was picking my brass up at my feet and at times from IN FRONT OF THE BENCH as I shot it. He gave me lip when I asked for it back as I intended to reload it. A quick switch over to my 44 got him to keep his distance but every time I went back to an auto he'd start doing it again claiming he was maintaining the range.

Ultimately I just gave up and joined one of the local private clubs. Another option is the rifle/pistol range at whitetail preserve in Black Creek. They charge by the half hour.