Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (York County)

Default PA Homeowner, but NJ Resident, LTCF and transport

Hi guys, I am new to the site, but it looks very informative. I have searched but can't find an answer to my question.

I own a home in Wrightsville, PA, but I am a NJ resident. As everyone here knows, getting a LTCF in NJ is pretty much impossible at this time. Can I get a non-resident LTCF in PA?

Also, can I legally transport my weapon between my home in NJ and my home in PA? (Obviously unloaded and locked up in the trunk).

Thanks in advance for your responses.

(Chester County)

Default Re: PA Homeowner, but NJ Resident, LTCF and transport

Quote Originally Posted by jashev View Post
    Hi guys, I am new to the site, but it looks very informative. I have searched but can't find an answer to my question.

I own a home in Wrightsville, PA, but I am a NJ resident. As everyone here knows, getting a LTCF in NJ is pretty much impossible at this time. Can I get a non-resident LTCF in PA?

Also, can I legally transport my weapon between my home in NJ and my home in PA? (Obviously unloaded and locked up in the trunk).

Thanks in advance for your responses.

You can't get a Pa LTCF unless you have an NJCCW.

NJ statutes do not provide for your transport between residences except when moving - this means that there are issues while you are within NJ during your proposed trips. FOPA transporation protection attaching to PA<>NJ transport is debatable but IMO the answer is that it doesn't apply to you.
    IANAL

(Monroe County)

Changing your residency seems like a no brainer. Beside being able to get a LTCF, I would imagine you would save on taxes, and car insurance...

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

It sounds like you would have to reside at the Pennsylvania residence for a period of time. I don't know what the specifics are, but I know my Grandfather spent enough time at his second home in the Poconos to make it valid for insurance purposes. If the PA home is an occupied rental, I am guessing that it would not qualify for you.

But if the renters move out...
    (Sorry, just trying to get you to enjoy freedom in Pennsylvania!)
    ...and they have a plan...

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    Changing your residency seems like a no brainer. Beside being able to get a LTCF, I would imagine you would save on taxes, and car insurance...
    You are absolutely correct and in two years we will be doing exactly that. Right now, however, I am the Mayor of our NJ town and can't change my residency without resigning my office (something I still may consider).

In NJ, as I understand it, I am allowed to transport my weapon between my home and business or from either of those locations to a practice range. Once I am in PA, am I permitted to transport my gun locked in the trunk of the car to my house in Wrightsville??

(Lancaster County)

You can get a non resident license from AZ, FL, VA, or UT and be covered to carry in PA.
    None of them will do you any good in NJ though.

Best advice is to get out of NJ.

You cannot carry unless you change your residency. If NJ allows you to go to a PA range you can claim the FOPA as a defense but I would not recommend this. You should seek legal advice before you transport in NJ.

(Lancaster County)

You are absolutely correct and in two years we will be doing exactly that. Right now, however, I am the Mayor of our NJ town and can't change my residency without resigning my office (something I still may consider).

In NJ, as I understand it, I am allowed to transport my weapon between my home and business or from either of those locations to a practice range. Once I am in PA, am I permitted to transport my gun locked in the trunk of the car to my house in Wrightsville??
    This tells me just how bad it really is in NJ. LOL

(Chester County)

Is your Pa house occupied by you as a vacation/recreation home while in Pa? Do you have exclusive use of the house or do you rent it out when you're not there?

Do you have a bona fide business in Pa? Is it co-located with the Pa house or elsewhere in Pa?
    IANAL

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by LTCcarrier View Post
    You cannot carry unless you change your residency. If NJ allows you to go to a PA range you can claim the FOPA as a defense but I would not recommend this. You should seek legal advice before you transport in NJ.
    If travelling directly between residence and an established range both NJ and Pa provide exceptions to their possession/transport proscriptions - no need to involve FOPA.

There is a compelling argument that FOPA transport protection is not invokable for travel when the origin and destination is in contiguous states, ie it only applies to travel THROUGH intervening states.
    IANAL

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast