Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default susquehannock performance rally

http://www.stpr.org/stpr11/STPR2011_SpectatorGuide.pdf

page 5

apparently they are not allowing firearms, this takes place in tioga state forest, state owned land. they check bags too, which i guess is understandable because its illegal to drink there and im sure its a problem, but im sure thats illegal.

either way im going to send them an email, im really not sure what to write, its illegal to make rules going against state law right?

here is a list of contacts

http://www.stpr.org/stpr11/contacts.html

im thinking the general manager would be the easiest to reach

i think this is bullshit, state police are usually 30-60 min away, if you can even get a phone signal around there.

(Tioga County)

Default Re: susquehannock performance rally

I read the same thing and had (nearly) the same reaction.

Before you go on a tear with Alan or Meredith, please understand a few things: These people are volunteers putting this event on. They are car people, not firearms enthusiasts or hunters. They are from New York state and almost certainly have a very poor understanding of the ins-and-outs of the regulations of the DCNR. At the very least, the whole event is under a great deal of pressure and scrutiny because of some incidents which occured a few years ago, nearly ending the rally.

Not trying to be an apologist for the organizing committee, but I've known these folks for many years. This will be the 20th time for me as a competitor; I've been attending the event since 1979.

If you'll be there spectating, wave when car 143 goes by or catch up with me at one of the service or "parc ferme" stops.

--Phil

(Bucks County)

i understand mistakes happen, but maybe they should understand how pa works. i love rally cars too, i drive a wrx myself but i dont appreciate this rule they are enforcing, makes me even more mad that they are out of towners.

any videos of your car by any chance?

(Delaware County)

Not saying that this is the case but it could be that they mistakenly included the no firearms and possible confiscation notice not realizing that concealed firearms are now permitted in state parks.

Drugs, alcohol and firearms are not permitted in
    the forest. They can be confiscated.
    I'm also wondering if the "confiscation" statement meant it would be done by park rangers or police because the organizers THINK it's a violation of state law. Frankly, I read the above as "passing on" what they thought were state regs.

I would send an "informational" email letting them know that carrying concealed, w/ an LTCF of course, in state forests and parks is now legal. If they get their backs up over that, then you could go stronger.

Also, I couldn't find any specific prohibitions to CARRYING firearms in either of these two rules and regulations pamphlets:

State Forest rules:

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/ucmprd1/...t/D_001497.pdf

State Forest picnic area rules:

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/ucmprd1/...t/D_001498.pdf

Just make sure you don't do any snow plowing - that's prohibited without specific authorization.

(Jefferson County)

There are no legal grounds for a firearms confiscation by just merely peacefully carrying - none at all.. PA State Forests are not off-limits.

Transporting to/from and concealment are legal issues, but if you are licensed it isn't a problem.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Tioga County)

The organizers of the event are not in a position to enact or enforce any laws. If it is illegal to carry a firearm in the state forest, I'm sure the DCNR officers at the spectator areas will be sure to let you know.

If you're coming from Doylestown, be careful who you call an "out of towner".

No videos on hand, but go to www.photoamma.smugmug.com for photos from last year's event and some shots from the rally at the Waste Management site in February.

--Phil

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    The organizers of the event are not in a position to enact or enforce any laws. If it is illegal to carry a firearm in the state forest, I'm sure the DCNR officers at the spectator areas will be sure to let you know.

If you're coming from Doylestown, be careful who you call an "out of towner".

No videos on hand, but go to www.photoamma.smugmug.com for photos from last year's event and some shots from the rally at the Waste Management site in February.

--Phil
    good point with the out of towner comment, although i been going up sullivan county for half my life now, even though im 23, i also have a family cabin up there, not too far so im very familiar with the state parks and game lands, not 100 percent familiar, as ill have to ask, is open carry legal in state forests? does state forest and state park carry the same laws as far as firearms go?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    If you'll be there spectating, wave when car 143 goes by or catch up with me at one of the service or "parc ferme" stops.

--Phil
    I'm heading out to Cherry Springs St Park this weekend for an Astronomy Event, but I'll be up to STPR on Saturday. I'll try to catch up with you at Saturday Service.

Chris

(Tioga County)

Open carry is legal in state forests. I've been doing it for 30 years.

And when you're in Wellsboro - stay off my lawn!

Good luck, Phil.
    MikeP

I wouldn't raise any trouble with the event organizers. If you have a permit, you'll be legal. To them, that's just a line they include along with "no booze" and "no illegal activity." It's probably from some boilerplate form they use to regulate events.

Open carry is an interesting idea. I've attended STPR many times but I've never really considered open carrying. I can't say I've seen anyone else doing it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast