Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Pistol

(Allegheny County)

Default New Pistol

Ok, let me first start by saying my head is spinning, my eyes hurt, and my wife is pissed from me staring at this damn computer for the last few days at many many blocks of hours at a time. I've done so much damn research that I feel like i'm back to square one.

Here's my deal. I'm looking to purchase a semi-auto to use as both concealed carry and for range shooting. My caliber of choice is 9mm. I want something comfortable to carry, reliable, and fun for range shooting. I began with the thoughts of getting a cheap .380 such as a Ruger LCP for CC and a 1911 for range trips. Then my thought swayed toward a good CC 9mm that was also fun at the range. UGGGHHHH!!

My wife has offered to buy me "A" new pistol for my B-day & Father's Day. Prior to this I was looking to go with one 9mm to do both purposes. But now that she's offered to buy one, i'm willing to buy the other if I go the .380/1911 route(2 guns).

For the 9mm single gun option i've been looking at the following:
    Ruger SR9c
    Kahr CW9
    Glock 26/ or 19
    FNP-9

For the pocket gun/1911's I was thinking of a Ruger LC9/or LCP and a good entry level 1911 such as RIA or REmington or the new Ruger SR1911.

Any help or guidance please? Before I piss her off and she changes her mind!!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: New Pistol

All of your choices seems good to me. It all comes down to what you want in your pistol.

Answer these questions to narrow down your choices for your cc.
    Do you want these features?

External safety?
    External Hammer?
    Ambidextrous controls?
    Large capacity?
    Does the Glock grip angle work for you?
    Simplicity in design?
    Conceal-ability?

These questions will help narrow you down a bit.

Here's what I like in a CC to help you out.

I hate grip safeties, beaver tails, external safeties, external hammers, and over engineered designs. I want capacity and reliability. I'm fine with polymer pistols and the Glock Grip angle works fine for me. I just want to draw and shoot, I don't want any additional steps when my life's on the line.

What do you want?
    Mostly browsing these days, and expanding the collection.

(Monroe County)

Excellent Choices you made , cant go wrong with any of them .

Have Fun.

(Fayette County)

Out of all the 9mm models you listed, I say go for the G26.
    Especially since you intend to carry it.

Thats just my 2¢

As for the 1911's, well I dont really have any advice. Im not a big fan of the 1911.
    I rather have a Sig or FN in .45 than a 1911. But thats just me.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Allegheny County)

i say, stop on down to Ace and feel each one you listed to see which one fits you best.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Washington County)

I personally would suggest the G19 or similarly sized handgun. It is small enough to carry easily but yet big enough enjoy at the range.

I will also make this harder, have you looked at the M&P line of pistols?

If you want to shoot a lot the .380 and .45 are both going to be expensive. Out of the 9mm you listed I would go with the G19. It's a little bigger than the 26 and a little easier to shoot.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Allegheny County)

Why not check out rugers lc9. Looks like all the fun of the lcp, just in cheaper 9mm

http://ruger.com/products/lc9/models.html

(Allegheny County)

I have looked at the Ruger LC9 but there doesn't seem to be much difference in size between that and the SR9c which has much more round capacity and better trigger for range shooting.

I am torn between ease of concealibility and round capacity. If I was definitive either way it would make choices alot easier. Before reading the Sticky about the benefits of having enough rounds to drop an attacker I thought the lower capacity guns were adequate but am on the fence now.

I have not really looked at the M&P line besides a few reviews of squishy triggers. But otherwise they review great. I would consider those as well.

I am leaning toward purchasing in 9mm due to cost of ammo.

As far as features go, again i'm on the fence. For ease of use Glock will always win hands down with the lack of the added safeties like found on the Rugers. I have held the Glocks and they are thick and goofy angled. The Ruger felt great. Haven't held the S&W, FNP or Kahr yet.

The G19 is very highly rated, even sometimes more so than the G26 for CC, and highly rated for range shooting. But i'm just not sure about the thickness for CC. I'm 5'10"ish and 220lbs. Do not want to up another pant size

(Allegheny County)

you really have to hold the guns, feel the slide pull, the trigger... pictures and online info will only go so far. Only you can tell it the gun feels good and natural in your hand and how it points for you.

Go hang around the gun store until they tell you to buy something or stop coming in

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast