Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Help finding a tactical light for a Mossberg 590

A couple of years ago I had purchased a used Mossberg 590 that had a built in light inside the forend. There were no buttons or a protruding light that I can recall. The light was activated by just squeezing the forend. I don't think it had any kind of constant on feature either.

I had since sold that gun and recently bought a new Mossberg 590. I'm now trying to find that same forend. All I keep coming up with is the Surefire one for 300 some dollars that has the different buttons and light sticking out the front.

Has anybody ever seen the forend with light that I am talking about? And more importantly, where do they sell them?

Thanks in advance.
    I would rather die in a shootout than get assassinated in a "gun free zone"

Default Re: Help finding a tactical light for a Mossberg 590

SureFire is the only one that offers a good forearm...it's not cheap, but if it makes you feel better when they first came out the cost was over $600.

You should be able to find the SF model for roughly $250 these days.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonK007 View Post
    A couple of years ago I had purchased a used Mossberg 590 that had a built in light inside the forend. There were no buttons or a protruding light that I can recall. The light was activated by just squeezing the forend. I don't think it had any kind of constant on feature either.

I had since sold that gun and recently bought a new Mossberg 590. I'm now trying to find that same forend. All I keep coming up with is the Surefire one for 300 some dollars that has the different buttons and light sticking out the front.

Has anybody ever seen the forend with light that I am talking about? And more importantly, where do they sell them?

Thanks in advance.
    We have the Surefire forends on our 870's. Great setup, but pricey. I'm not aware of any others. Before I paid that much myself, I'd duct tape a Surefire P6 to the barrel.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Thanks in advance.
    I hope that you sold that first gun for some decent money, because the used Surefire forend alone is worth more than your average used Mossberg.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    . . . Before I paid that much myself, I'd duct tape a Surefire P6 to the barrel.
    Not necessary, there are a lot of better options for mounting lights these days, including barrel clamps, brackets, receiver mounts, and replacement railed forends.

I run a Surfire 6PX 170 lumen light on my AR. The light was about $70, the mount was another thirty, and the good quality Tacstar pressure switch was another $30. Total price $130.

No need to pay $250 or more for a quality light.

(Beaver County)

I'm not a fan of the forend mounted light. Too much of the barrel and magazine tube end up casting shadows and really making the light less effective if it sits too far back on the shotgun. Mossberg apparently has a new forend with built in light that I saw at the NRA convention. I didn't like it because it felt too bulky and heavy but my friend thought it was awesome. He's a foot taller than me and about twice my weight though . . . He's 6' 8" 300 though and I'm 5' 9" and about 145. Anyway, I have a Streamlight TLR-1S on my 870 and I cannot say enough good things about it. The mount has survived buckshot and slugs so it won't come loose and it's apparently about as shock resistant as you can ask for because it still works perfectly. I got it for $100 on midwayusa on it's on sale for that same price right until 5/31. I have mine mounted about 4 inches behind the muzzle and I don't get any barrel shadows. I'm probably going to buy another one for my Noveske M4 now that I think about it . . .

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    I hope that you sold that first gun for some decent money, because the used Surefire forend alone is worth more than your average used Mossberg.
    I got hosed on that one. If I posted how much I had sold it for, i'd prob receive tons of negative rep for being an idiot.
    I would rather die in a shootout than get assassinated in a "gun free zone"

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Not necessary, there are a lot of better options for mounting lights these days, including barrel clamps, brackets, receiver mounts, and replacement railed forends.
    I know. Just sayin'.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

I got hosed on that one. If I posted how much I had sold it for, i'd prob receive tons of negative rep for being an idiot.
    Well, I'll guess that you didn't know exactly what you had, but then you probably bought it from someone who also didn't charge you what it was worth.

Most people fail to appreciate what they have at some point. At least you didn't cheat on Elizabeth Hurley with a $20 whore....
    http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrityn...g-2009318/2760