Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    West Shore!, Pennsylvania
    (Cumberland County)
    Posts
    4,587
    Rep Power
    354208

    Default Re: DIY Hotwire Cutter for Gun cases with Photos!

    Dude...
    Dude...



    Wow.



    Nice work. How long did it all take you?
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Valencia, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,257
    Rep Power
    119571

    Default Re: DIY Hotwire Cutter for Gun cases with Photos!

    Cool Beans!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Lancaster, Soon NC, Pennsylvania
    (York County)
    Posts
    121
    Rep Power
    13617

    Default Re: DIY Hotwire Cutter for Gun cases with Photos!

    Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Dude...
    Dude...



    Wow.



    Nice work. How long did it all take you?
    For tracing out the guns and because I took my time and it was between planning my wedding non the less about a week spreaded out and cutting took about 6 hours. After work yesterday, I Glued the foam together and that took 5 minutes.

    If someone were to do it in one shot, I would say depending on how many you have 8 hours for everything and if doing just a pistol, 2 hours max. I highly recommend trying it, since the payoff is so rewarding.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    East McKeesport, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    2,177
    Rep Power
    1184

    Default Re: DIY Hotwire Cutter for Gun cases with Photos!

    You might also be able to use one of these rather than putting together a wire cutter (for those not so electronically inclined).

    http://www.harborfreight.com/130-wat...ife-66182.html

    Great job on your case! I love DIY projects like this.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Lancaster, Soon NC, Pennsylvania
    (York County)
    Posts
    121
    Rep Power
    13617

    Default Re: DIY Hotwire Cutter for Gun cases with Photos!

    Quote Originally Posted by falcn View Post
    You might also be able to use one of these rather than putting together a wire cutter (for those not so electronically inclined).

    http://www.harborfreight.com/130-wat...ife-66182.html

    Great job on your case! I love DIY projects like this.

    Negative, there are many hot knife and hot wire cutters that are hand held and the reason they do not work is because your hand is not as stable as a well.....table lol. A lot of people have tried that and they just cannot get the curves and straight lines with a knife or hand held wire. I thought the same thing as well and figured my route would be more fun

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    East McKeesport, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    2,177
    Rep Power
    1184

    Default Re: DIY Hotwire Cutter for Gun cases with Photos!

    Quote Originally Posted by STI View Post
    Negative, there are many hot knife and hot wire cutters that are hand held and the reason they do not work is because your hand is not as stable as a well.....table lol. A lot of people have tried that and they just cannot get the curves and straight lines with a knife or hand held wire. I thought the same thing as well and figured my route would be more fun
    I gotcha! I didn't think of that. I was thinking if you used stiff enough templates that you could press against that, but the knife would probably make too wide of a cut on the radii of corners.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)
    Posts
    1,317
    Rep Power
    5479351

    Default Re: DIY Hotwire Cutter for Gun cases with Photos!

    STI, wonderful post!! Thank you for taking the time to provide good pictures and for writing the instructions/descriptions. Fantastic job.

    I second the sticky request.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Lancaster, Soon NC, Pennsylvania
    (York County)
    Posts
    121
    Rep Power
    13617

    Default Re: DIY Hotwire Cutter for Gun cases with Photos!

    Not a problem Lisa, I am a visual learner and if someone wrote this without photos would drive me up the wall! I highly suggest anyone with a foam case to do it

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    232
    Rep Power
    347

    Default Re: DIY Hotwire Cutter for Gun cases with Photos!

    The particle board you used looks like it would catch on the foam and prevent it from sliding smoothly.

    Is there a reason you chose not to paint the wood to create a smooth surface? The same goes for sanding the corners so that they do not catch on the foam as it is pulled over them.

    Or perhaps using a plastic block for the surface which would already be smooth, and not as flammable.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Lancaster, Soon NC, Pennsylvania
    (York County)
    Posts
    121
    Rep Power
    13617

    Default Re: DIY Hotwire Cutter for Gun cases with Photos!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mootness View Post
    The particle board you used looks like it would catch on the foam and prevent it from sliding smoothly.

    Is there a reason you chose not to paint the wood to create a smooth surface? The same goes for sanding the corners so that they do not catch on the foam as it is pulled over them.

    Or perhaps using a plastic block for the surface which would already be smooth, and not as flammable.

    The particle board is surprisingly smooth and you can run your hand across it and feel no roughness, it is smooth and the foam glides right across it. We build this to do one thing, cut foam, not look pretty lol. I could of done A LOT to improve it and make it look better but everything works. Like mentioned before this is our version, people can go crazy on what they do, painting, sanding, whatever they want. This one works flawlessly, but you bring up good points and something worth doing when creating one.

    The plastic block is a really good idea. When I built mine I was going off of what I had available to me on a limited budget. Also, and I am glad you reminded me to bring this up. The hole that the Ni-Chrome wire passes through, even though the wire makes contact with the wood sometimes, it never gets hot enough to catch fire even when cranked the whole way to the max, the wire will just snap in half.

    In time I see myself going back and making small adjustments which I do when I think of new things, but for the mean time it works as it should with no snags and that is how I built it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. RCBS Trim Pro 3-way Cutter
    By Toxicodendron11 in forum Ammunition & Reloading
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: September 12th, 2010, 01:30 PM
  2. CIGAR HUMIDOR/TABLE TOP CUTTER
    By elray in forum General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 12th, 2009, 12:04 PM
  3. Remington 32 S+W Long,98 Gr. Wad Cutter
    By SmithSpecial in forum General
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 2nd, 2009, 02:01 PM
  4. vinyl plotter decal cutter
    By o1dakota440 in forum General
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 11th, 2009, 03:54 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops