Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Harrisburg Gun Show - Metcalf Gunshows

Nice show, got there at 11:30 today, not a lot of people but a good bit of buying going on. I just felt so relaxed compared to when I attend Valley Forge, it was so easy to move around, and the facility was a lot nicer. Can't remember the last time I was at this show, it was nice to check out a lot of dealers I wouldn't see at the SEPA shows. Wasn't at Oaks but from what a friend told me about it there were better deals at Harrisburg.
    Picked up a PPS 43c which was exactly what I was looking for. Anyway, it was the best gun show experience I have had in a while.
    One more thing, did I park in the wrong area or does everyone have to traverse the entire outside of the building to get to the entrance?

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBrody View Post
    . . . did I park in the wrong area or does everyone have to traverse the entire outside of the building to get to the entrance?
    If you park in the main lot, you have to trek across the front of the building, yes. I'm not an architect, but IMO the new exhibition hall blueprints got printed mirror-image just before construction.

If you're buying bulk ammo, it's best to bring some Sherpas.

You can park around back of the building closer to the old halls, but that's often taken by vendor vehicles or blocked off by the FSC guards.

No matter, we're obese Ahmurrcans; we're always told by the media that we need more exercise.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Wayne County)

stoped going to this show a few years ago............ split rock has the same dealers, 1 hour closer and $1 parking fees............

(Delaware County)

They told me at the desk that they weren't taking the $1 off coupons linked to in the first post. $8 for parking, $8 to get into the show.

I'm a Valley Forge regular, but I've never been to a Harrisburg show. I needed a change of scenery, and something to do.

The aisles are about 50 feet apart. You don't have to shove through, like you sometimes have to do at VF. It wan't very busy at all when I got there late today, bad for vendors, maybe very good for shoppers. Seems to me that there were a lot of used longguns, a lot more than VF. Maybe not quite as much tacticool stuff.

I picked up an AK handguard that I wanted (saw one for $35 at VF, Midway price is around $24, I got it for $20). .50cal ammo cans were 2 for $14 at a table near the middle, and I couldn't pass that up. Picked up a couple other little things. Money's a little tight at the moment, so I had to leave the "certified" used 686 and 5.45mm Saiga with the vendors.

Men's room was cleanish. I didn't see any backed up toilets, and there wasn't 1/2" of water on the floor. I've seen both at Valley Forge Convention Center.
    Last edited by Suburban; June 11th, 2011 at 09:36 PM.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(York County)

Default Re: Harrisburg Gun Show - Metcalf Gun shows

I went today around 10:30 and noticed there was nowhere near the amount of people who were there in February. The parking lot was relatively empty and there was plenty of room inside without masses of people at any vender's blocking the way.

I did buy all the stuff i needed from Precision Firearms to assemble a stripped lower and the prices were just as good or cheaper than online.

Ammo prices were pretty good but i spent all my cash so i didn't get any ammo.

(York County)

Ok, I hit the show today. Here are my impressions. I haven't been to this show in about 4-5 years.

1.) I entered the building at 9:00AM. I noticed parking was down to $8.00, from $10.00. The last show I was at, there was a line out the door, and it took 20 minutes to get in. I entered at 9:00, and walked right in. That said A LOT right there.

2.) They wouldn't honour the $1.00 off coupon I had, and said it was for some other show. Yeaaaah.....RIGHT.

3.) Gone are the days of 2,000+ tables. This show was weak and anemic at best. They had to spread it out just to make it LOOK big. I will say this, alot less CRAP tables......didn't see one "Beef Jerky" stand there. LOL!

4.) I traded a box of ammo, bought a Hogue AR forend and grip set (Ghillie Tan, Yess!!), some other little stuff, but didn't find the EMF JR 9mm carbine rifle I went in for. Oh well, I bought it off of gunbroker when I got home. lol.

Conclusion: For $16.00 + gas, I'm not wasting my time again. York is now the clear winner for shows in the York, Lancaster, Dauphin county region. They just have more stuff! It used to take 3-4 hours to get through the Harrisburg show, today it took me 2.

- The Delta Force

(Allegheny County)

I wasn't overly impressed with the show compared to the last VF show, however, it was a nice way to spend the morning. Picked up half a case of 7.62x39, some .45 Hornady Critical Defense, and a few other odds 'n ends. Wasn't too happy about the $8 parking. Usual sky-high gunshow prices from some dealers however there were a few good deals to be had, the two that stood out was a dealer selling a S&W 686-3 in great shape for $450 and there was a table selling used Ruger Mini-14's (stainless with wood furniture) for $390 which I thought was a great price.

Doubt i'll be going back to this one.
    Last edited by afultz075; June 11th, 2011 at 09:43 PM.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeltaForce View Post
    Ok, I hit the show today. Here are my impressions. I haven't been to this show in about 4-5 years.

1.) I entered the building at 9:00AM. I noticed parking was down to $8.00, from $10.00. The last show I was at, there was a line out the door, and it took 20 minutes to get in. I entered at 9:00, and walked right in. That said A LOT right there.

2.) They wouldn't honour the $1.00 off coupon I had, and said it was for some other show. Yeaaaah.....RIGHT.

3.) Gone are the days of 2,000+ tables. This show was weak and anemic at best. They had to spread it out just to make it LOOK big. I will say this, alot less CRAP tables......didn't see one "Beef Jerky" stand there. LOL!

4.) I traded a box of ammo, bought a Hogue AR forend and grip set (Ghillie Tan, Yess!!), some other little stuff, but didn't find the EMF JR 9mm carbine rifle I went in for. Oh well, I bought it off of gunbroker when I got home. lol.

Conclusion: For $16.00 + gas, I'm not wasting my time again. York is now the clear winner for shows in the York, Lancaster, Dauphin county region. They just have more stuff! It used to take 3-4 hours to get through the Harrisburg show, today it took me 2.

- The Delta Force

I don't know when it ever went to $10, was always $8 for me.

This show was hosted by Mid Atlantic Arms Collectors. The coupon was for Metcalf something or other.

(Lehigh County)

Is a shame. Can remember when it use to
    be a good show. Those days are long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by afultz075 View Post
    I wasn't overly impressed with the show compared to the last VF show, however, it was a nice way to spend the morning. Picked up half a case of 7.62x39, some .45 Hornady Critical Defense, and a few other odds 'n ends. Wasn't too happy about the $8 parking. Usual sky-high gunshow prices from some dealers however there were a few good deals to be had, the two that stood out was a dealer selling a S&W 686-3 in great shape for $450 and there was a table selling used Ruger Mini-14's (stainless with wood furniture) for $390 which I thought was a great price.

Doubt i'll be going back to this one.
    Can you remember who was selling the Mini-14's for $390?
    That I would not pass up.

Thanks

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast