Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 38spl vs. 9mm Sub Nose revolvers, Which has the edgeegde in ..

The 38spl vs. 9mm Sub Nose revolvers, Which has the edge in less recoil, handling, shot recovery, speed3 of reload and accuracy? I'm thinking about getting another snub nose after giving my reliable 85h to my ex wife.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: 38spl vs. 9mm Sub Nose revolvers, Which has the edgeegde in ..

If you're talking about .38 revolvers versus 9mm semiautos, I would give the edge to the 9mm. I've never shot a 9mm revolver. I think they'd be about the same as far as recoil and accuracy, but loading a magazine is a lot easier than loading a revolver.

Thanks but that is common knowledge. But I wasn't addressing that topic. I was speaking of snub nose revolvers in those two calibers. I know the 38spl is more common but which one has best bang for the buck addressing the above,criteria.
    Last edited by Neko456; May 16th, 2011 at 06:20 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

What is the purchase going to be for? Self Defense, Home defense, target shooting, BUG?
    If you're just buying it to have one then go for it. For anything else Molly's right, a compact semi beats out a wheelgun for pretty much everything I can think of.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Cumberland County)

The 9mm is a much faster round than the .38 but out of a 1 7/8" or 2" barrel, I'm not sure how much of an advantage it would have.

I would point out that a .38 special revolve rid going to be much easier to find than a 9mm snubnose. It will also be a good deal less expensive than a 9mm.

If you already have other firearms in 9mm though, it might be worth spending that extra $$$ on the 9mm snub as you wouldn't have to begin stockin another caliber. If you already have other .38 special firearms, though, you may want to go that way.

Sorry I can't really answer you question about the ballistics of these two snubs. I am sure you would be well served with either one though as snubs are just fun guns IMHO.
    Last edited by jachrist; May 16th, 2011 at 10:49 AM.
    The Beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

(York County)

Smith & Wesson did produce a revolver in 9mm. Model 940 (1991-1998).
    9 x 19, It also required either full moon clips (6 rounds), and also half moon
    clips (3 rounds). Searching the web for the article on the 9mm revolver, will
    post the link when located.
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

(York County)

Found: jameszacharyjr.blogspot.com/2009/06/smith-wesson-model940-9mm
    -revolver.html
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    The 38spl vs. 9mm Sub Nose revolvers, Which has the edge in less recoil, handling, shot recovery, speed3 of reload and accuracy? I'm thinking about getting another snub nose after giving my reliable 85h to my ex wife.
    I have a S&W 940 and a few 38spl S&W J-frames.

The 940 is a steel gun which soaks up the recoil better than the lightweight aluminum J-frames .
    I don't find that the 9mm recoil is much different than that of the 38spl.
    Shot recovery and accuracy is the same.
    Reloads are faster for the 9mm as it requires the use of moon clips. The spent moon clip ejects as a unit and a fully loaded moon clip drops into the cylinder as a unit as well.

940's are great little guns, but they are difficult to find for sale. They usually command a much higher price than the 38spl J-frames.

I believe member "allglock" has or had one for sale in the classifieds here.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Jefferson County)

9mm has the advantage in ballistics even in a 2" snubnose revolver, with exception of the really heavy bullets(158gr and heavier) which then the 38spl shines.. But there are (2) disadvantages.

You either have to find a positive ejection revolver for rimless cartridges - which there are only a couple ever made that I know of(the Medusa revolver and Charter Arms). Or you have to use moon clips - which some folks don't like the way they carry(they carry like speed loaders).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Both .38 Spl and 9 mm are available in a wide range of loadings, from mild to extra spicy, with considerable overlap between the two calibers. In terms of ballistics, I don't think there's a clear winner.

9 mm moon clips have some advantages. They allow quick loading and easy ejection, which is important on a snub with a short ejector. And they're more compact to carry than .38 speed loaders.

If you practice a lot, consider that .38 Spl bulk ammo costs about 50% more than 9 mm.

Finally, something I've thought about is that 9 mm OAL is .38" shorter than .38 Spl. In theory, this would allow a shorter cylinder, less weight, and 20% more barrel length in the same size gun as a conventional .38 snub revolver. In practice, however, I'm pretty sure manufacturers use the same size cylinders for .38 and 9 mm, just bored differently.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast