Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default "Manually Operated"

"...a manually operated rimfire rifle or handgun .22 caliber or less."

So does this mean I can't use a Ruger 10/22 since it isn't a bolt action?

(Clinton County)

Default Re: "Manually Operated"

I am not familier with that rifle. But if it is semi- auto you can not hunt with it in Pa. Bolt action, break action, lever action or pump action. You may use semi auto shotguns plugged to 3 rounds for small game and turkey.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rolsby View Post
    "...a manually operated rimfire rifle or handgun .22 caliber or less."

So does this mean I can't use a Ruger 10/22 since it isn't a bolt action?
    No you can't use a 10/22 to hunt with.

(Indiana County)

So how about a Kalashnikov or AR-15 variant with the gas piston removed?

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    So how about a Kalashnikov or AR-15 variant with the gas piston removed?
    I loaned a guy an SKS to hunt with a few years back, the local Deputy Warden said that as long as you have to manually manipulate the bolt after each shot fired and you do not possess the parts to make it semi auto, you could use it.
    This was my local guy, so I don't know that if you came across another one in the woods, they would have the same opinion.

Using an AR type rifle with the gas tube removed would be not my idea of a good thing, I guess removing the piston from one so equipped would be better, but then you have the charging handle to deal with after each shot.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    I loaned a guy an SKS to hunt with a few years back, the local Deputy Warden said that as long as you have to manually manipulate the bolt after each shot fired and you do not possess the parts to make it semi auto, you could use it.
    This was my local guy, so I don't know that if you came across another one in the woods, they would have the same opinion.

Using an AR type rifle with the gas tube removed would be not my idea of a good thing, I guess removing the piston from one so equipped would be better, but then you have the charging handle to deal with after each shot.
    If that "deputy warden" actually said that, his advice was wrong.

Title 34, Sec. 2308. Unlawful devices and methods.
    (a) General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to hunt or aid, abet, assist or conspire to hunt any game or wildlife through the use of:
    (1) An automatic firearm or similar device.
    (2) A semiautomatic rifle or pistol.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ret-Fed View Post
    If that "deputy warden" actually said that, his advice was wrong.

Title 34, Sec. 2308. Unlawful devices and methods.
    (a) General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to hunt or aid, abet, assist or conspire to hunt any game or wildlife through the use of:
    (1) An automatic firearm or similar device.
    (2) A semiautomatic rifle or pistol.
    There are conflicting reports both ways. A semi-automatic gun is no longer semi-automatic in function if you disable it from reloading on it's own.

If you remove the piston from an AK47/SKS they are no longer semi-automatic. It becomes a straight pull manually operated rifle. However it would be up to the individual warden to decide since there isn't a clear ruling from the PGC.

There are manually operated versions of the AK and AR too. There is a pump action AK47. There are straight pull and traditional bolt action versions of the AR15 too.
    Last edited by knight0334; May 15th, 2011 at 01:09 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    There are conflicting reports both ways. A semi-automatic gun is no longer semi-automatic in function if you disable it from reloading on it's own.

If you remove the piston from an AK47/SKS they are no longer semi-automatic. It becomes a straight pull manually operated rifle. However it would be up to the individual warden to decide since there isn't a clear ruling from the PGC.
    Unless it is permanently disabled, the PGC would consider the 10/22 what it is, a semi-auto rifle.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ret-Fed View Post
    Unless it is permanently disabled, the PGC would consider the 10/22 what it is, a semi-auto rifle.
    Permanently, or not readily changeable in the field. With the 10/22 being blow-back, it's impossible to meet that standard if you just remove the recoil spring. The bolt would blow back, ejecting the spent shell, and perform 50% of the function which would justify a ruling against that gun.

Guns that use a locking breech, which are disabled, may qualify. On a gas operated gun, you couldn't turn a knob and turn off the gas and be legal because you could readily change that in the field. But if you remove the piston or gas tube, then plug the port, and not have the parts or tools to change it in the field - it might qualify.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lycoming County)

Here is a previous thread on the subject http://forum.pafoa.org/hunting-23/93...g-page-22.html

I posted a response by John Denchak, Chief, Enforcement Division Bureau of Wildlife Protection.

Be safe (and ask).

Scott

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast