Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: Wondering about Chambersburg and area.

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I dare them.

Clearly illegal, and certain to be challenged if it ever happens. The PO occasionally calls me for the 'gun nut' perspective on a story. I HOPE they call if this ever comes about.
    Like I said, it's just talk right now but I wouldn't put anything past the mayor & counsel. As for being illegal, I don't know. If it's not illegal to own them, just CARRY them, it may be a way around the law. I'd help challenge it for sure though. I just hope they don't try it.

And hey, next time you talk to Matt Major, kick him in the nootz for me, ok? ;-)

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    If it's not illegal to own them, just CARRY them, it may be a way around the law.
    Nope. Applies to possession too. The only thing they can regulate is discharge, which they do, with an exception for justified self defense. I'd be interested in knowing (either here or privately) exactly what you've heard, and what your sources are.

And hey, next time you talk to Matt Major, kick him in the nootz for me, ok? ;-)
    He doesn't like me. He declined a public invitation to meet with some OCers.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Franklin County)

I guess I'm a little unplugged or something~things seem a lot nicer around here than in the mid-90s ~ remember the "satellite" police station set up across from dave's tavern? Things seemed worse back then IMHO...
    USMC 2/10 1982-85
    ~REMEMBER FT. HOOD~

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Nope. Applies to possession too. The only thing they can regulate is discharge, which they do, with an exception for justified self defense. I'd be interested in knowing (either here or privately) exactly what you've heard, and what your sources are.

He doesn't like me. He declined a public invitation to meet with some OCers.
    I was thinking back to Philly when we couldn't carry. Now in order to OC you have to have a permit to carry. Bunch of crap really...

HA HA! He'd have wet himself being that close to a firearm. lol

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Maquis View Post
    I guess I'm a little unplugged or something~things seem a lot nicer around here than in the mid-90s ~ remember the "satellite" police station set up across from dave's tavern? Things seemed worse back then IMHO...
    That's very much possible since I've only been living here for about 2 1/2 years. I'm just used to living in the country with fewer rules, fewer illegal (people and acts) and fewer "can't do this, can't do that"...

Walking out on my back deck and firing my AK was one of the sweet things in life. I do miss it...but I'll have it again someday!

(Franklin County)

That's very much possible since I've only been living here for about 2 1/2 years. I'm just used to living in the country with fewer rules, fewer illegal (people and acts) and fewer "can't do this, can't do that"...

Walking out on my back deck and firing my AK was one of the sweet things in life. I do miss it...but I'll have it again someday!
    I've been here since '87 lol~maybe the water's been getting hotter and I've just adjusted..
    USMC 2/10 1982-85
    ~REMEMBER FT. HOOD~

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Maquis View Post
    I've been here since '87 lol~maybe the water's been getting hotter and I've just adjusted..
    LOL Anything's possible I guess. It's like culture shock for me. Didn't realize what we were getting in to by moving here. I had certain criteria for buying a house...list of 10 really.

After negotiations with the wife, I got 1 out of 10. ;-) Won't happen again.

(Franklin County)

LOL Anything's possible I guess. It's like culture shock for me. Didn't realize what we were getting in to by moving here. I had certain criteria for buying a house...list of 10 really.

After negotiations with the wife, I got 1 out of 10. ;-) Won't happen again.
    I know a bit about that culture shock~I grew up in a sleepy little Ozark town in Missouri...and someday hope to get back there
    USMC 2/10 1982-85
    ~REMEMBER FT. HOOD~

(Franklin County)

I dont think Chambersburg is any worse than any other town its size.
    You either want to live in a town or you dont. Personally, I couldnt stand to live in town but some people love it.
    Ive been in this general area since 94 but Ive only lived in PA (closer to Chambersburg) since last year, before last year, I lived in West Virginia.
    Statistically, Martinsburg WV and Chambersburg PA are VERY similar. Chambersburg is doing much better than Martinsburg.
    The next closest city in PA that compares to Chambersburg (statistically) would probably be Carlisle. I havent had too much exposure to Carlisle but from what Ive seen, its much cleaner and better run than Chambersburg.
    Just judging from what Im familiar with, I would say Chambersburg falls someplace in the middle, for cities its size in this area, as far as living conditions.
    There are alot of smaller towns that surround Chambersburg that are very nice though

(Franklin County)

Stay as far away from Chambersburg as you can! I live there and can't wait for the day when we move.

Taxes were raised back in Jan 3% and what did they do? Give raises! Superintendent got 6% and the teachers got the shaft.

They (left-leaning paper the Public Opinion) estimates the illegal population (for hispanics, no estimate given for others) at 60%. Chambersburg is a sanctuary city.

Crime is spreading out of the boro and in to neighboring Fayetteville. Oh yeah, a woman was mugged right on Main Street the other day - http://www.therecordherald.com/news/...n-Chambersburg

The regulations for any kind of construction, wiring, etc. I've been told rank up there with Philly.

There has been talk...TALK ONLY so far about the proposal for an ordinance to make the carry of concealed weapons outlawed in city limits.

There is also the installation of a "calming device" (speed bump the size of an ENTIRE intersection) to stop speeders. That was a recent development and yet peole have been complaining about other places to no avail. But keep in mind the intersection is in a neighborhood with the more "important" people in town. Yeah, it works like that here.

IF we're still here when our oldest starts school, she'll be sent to a private school outside of town. We're talking about moving eventually 30 or so miles E-NE or 40 miles N-NW. Chambersburg is a cesspool.

Oh yeah, don't forget to visit the new park off of 30 behind the businesses that border the creek. The smell of the sewage is captivating in the warm summer night air.

It's a left leaning town with little to no hope for any turn around or prosperity any time soon. If you move to Franklin County, stay out of ANY boros and try to live at least 5 miles from any kind of "village".

any proof for this proposed talk of a concealed carry ordinance in the boro? i find it very hard to believe it would even be considered.
    "No man's life,liberty,or property are safe while the legislature is in session." -Mark Twain

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast