Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Fayette County)

Question Amish and Guns...

Just wondering if some of you in Amish country could describe if the Amish use firearms?

Im sure it all depends on the family and I know everyone is different.

But whats the over all perception of firearm ownership with them?
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Amish and Guns...

I believe it depends on the deacon for local church. Each Amish family belongs to a local church and the deacon of each church interprets what is or is not allowed. Some are more liberal and might allow cell phones, laptops, etc, Another may be more strict. Deacons in the southern Lancaster County area are determined every few year by lottery system. You literally "draw the short straw" and you are being called by god to serve your church.

I will tell you that every time I go to New Holland Sportsman (damn fine store in eastern Lancaster Count), there are younger Amish guys either buying ammo or checking out a firearm. Based on what I have witnessed, they tend toward revolvers.

My point is I would not be a perp in Lancaster County that though an Amish farm might be an easy robbery target. I think more Amish are armed than you would suspect. And most Amish work very physically demanding jobs (farming, construction, etc) so even the women could physically kick the ass of a city scum that broke into a farmhouse late at night.

(Allegheny County)

Lightbulb Re: Amish and Guns...

They HUNT, do they not? I would think especially .22LR & black powder arms would certainly be approved for such endeavors.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    They HUNT, do they not? I would think especially .22LR & black powder arms would certainly be approved for such endeavors.
    Most of the Amish that live around me in Clinton County are hunters. I have neighbors who both turkey and deer hunt. They are also not oppossed to taking deer for crop damage. Most used deer rifle I have seen them use model 94 winchester. As for orange requorements they make orange covers for their black and or straw hats and a vest.

(Lancaster County)

When I was buying my AR15 at a local shop, there was an Amish grandfather, father and son in the store. The bought an entire goose gun setup, as well as clays and a really nice thrower.

They use guns to hunt, but wouldn't use them to shoot another person as that violates one of the basic tenants of their church. They're real pacifists.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Fayette County)

Thanks for all the replies.
    Really interesting.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by pahuntnfool View Post
    Most of the Amish that live around me in Clinton County are hunters. I have neighbors who both turkey and deer hunt. They are also not oppossed to taking deer for crop damage. Most used deer rifle I have seen them use model 94 winchester. As for orange requorements they make orange covers for their black and or straw hats and a vest.

I had a friend text me for her amish neighbor, he needed some 30/30 ammo, i helped them out.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do about picture ID and PICS checks.

(Philadelphia County)

I sold an AR15 to a member on PAFOA who is Amish. I met him (and his parents) at their house in the Lancaster area for the sale and he provided his LTCF.

From what I've read, many Amish own guns for hunting purposes, but will not use it for self-defense. The latter claim has not been substantiated. If urbanamish, who was an Amish, is around, I hope he will chime in.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybeez View Post

I'm still trying to figure out what to do about picture ID and PICS checks.
    LOL

Never thought about that!

They probably have some type of state ID or something.

Next time your in a gun shop ask them.
    I would love to know the answer to that one!

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    From what I've read, many Amish own guns for hunting purposes, but will not use it for self-defense. The latter claim has not been substantiated. If urbanamish, who was an Amish, is around, I hope he will chime in.

Al
    That never made sense to me.

They can kill an animal to eat, but not kill someone threatening their entire family?

Since they consider themselves christian, there are many MANY bible verses that make it okay to defend ones life.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast