Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: Amish and Guns...

Quote Originally Posted by Triegle View Post
    As a dispatcher for Lancaster PSP I get a lot of calls from the amish. They will watch someone break into their barn, and just call the police who are half a county away instead of defending their homesteads... I have never once heard of them lifting a finger to try to do something on their own in that matter.
    I'd be curious to know what they'd do if there were wasn't PSP. Just sit back and watch I guess? My wife's distant family is Mennonite (not quite as strict as Amish) and they're all very nice, hardworking people. But a little quirky (aren't we all). But all very much pacifist.

And I thought this was a good documentary too:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOfZLb33uCg&ob=av2e
    If zombies start chasing us, I'm going to trip you.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    I wasnt.
    sure you were. you just dont realize it.

did your parents tell you when to go to bed? or that you had to eat your meat or you couldnt have any pudding?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    I really wish you guys use Google to find out the answers before continuing to perpetuate a lot of the myths by making assumptions:

Amish and taxes: http://ask.yahoo.com/20030821.html

http://www.holycrosslivonia.org/amish/amishfaq.htm#tax

Here's a quick blurb on Amish and guns: http://amishamerica.com/do-amish-use-guns/

Al
    I believe that part of the problem that people have with the Amish and Taxes is that they basically don't pay road taxes the way we do when we buy gasoline, because they don't use gas the same way the rest of us do. But their buggies do more damage to the roads than even big trucks do. There are hundreds of roads around this area that have a very noticeable depression where the buggies repeatedly ride. Since they're not paying taxes via Vehicle Registration and Gas Tax they're effectively using the roads without paying for the upkeep.

I knew that they paid all the other taxes. Of course, if the state and feds did away with all the embedded taxes in things we pay for every day, and each citizen was handed a bill in april for the amount of things that they pay for in embedded taxes, you can guarantee that there would be a revolt immediately.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Cambria County)

Lightbulb Re: Amish and Guns...

we use to use a big white form that look like a big old checks. they had a descriptive id of us our age, eye color, guessed weight, and address. It was the same as the drivers id almost. There was 1 designated man driver for family flock. my family left the ordained when I was going on 5 years old so I may be off a little and it might have changed because that was back in 1984. I'm still updated on things because I'm still friends with some( which is also forbidden since my family left) they don't seem to hold it against me as much cuz I was too little to decide, but once I got in trouble in your world they said it's because I join the sinners) my friends say at walmart that they're so use to them that they don't even ask for Id no more (for their checks) but the caps or bonnets give it away. I also bump into them at the store and they talk to me like they know......... Once one told me it's because my face structure, eyes, and hair give it away like I'm a poster board for Amish. I remember that there was teenagers who had a hidden radio in the woods. Now my one friend hides a cell phone at the neighbors but he is in rumspring so its not uncommon to dress in people clothes and go out and use your things. Its kinda required that way we know that we want to stay Amish or not... so are not tempted to try it later in life. Most stay amish, if not they turn to mennonite, if not they can become members of your society and have to give up the rest of their family and friends FOREVER.
    As to you can hun but not shoot someone you are correct. I ask my pa that question once and this was his response "We are to never to shoot or kill a man in defense" he winked,drawed a deep breath and then said "now that doesnt mean your brothers and cousins couldn't drag him behind the shed and give him a good whoopin." "Anyone can pull a trigger and kill a man but it takes a true man to kill the mans spirit inside that he'll have to carry and live with forever"

(Lancaster County)

Anyone have a recommendation on any to do grips for my sidearm? I gather there's a lot of truly top notch Amish/Mennonite wood craftsmen.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    Anyone have a recommendation on any to do grips for my sidearm? I gather there's a lot of truly top notch Amish/Mennonite wood craftsmen.
    Stop by either Musser's in Ephrata or The Sportsman Shop in New Holland, see if they know anyone that could do it, I believe both of those shops get their share of Amish and Mennonites in them.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Cambria County)

I was Amish..family still is. I wanted all of you to know that the 6 post above are correct.

(Lancaster County)

I'm born and raised from Lancaster County and have a cabin in Union County where there is also a large Amish/Mennonite population. I can confirm that they do go around in normal clothes at times. It's really comical to see the young guys dressed all in thug clothes with bowl cuts. As far as the taxes are concerned, I know they are required to pay, but there's a lot of working under the table and that type of thing that goes on as well. I can't speak for hunting in lanco, but we've had nothing but trouble with them at our property in Union County. Up there, they will hunt on any wooded land they can find regardless of whether its theirs or posted etc. We've had numerous run ins where we found them trying to hunt on our property or that of neighbors who we know have also chased them out. In the worst instance about a dozen of them came up the road on a horse drawn wagon with a little hut built on the back. It was basically a hunting camp on a wagon.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybeez View Post
    I had a friend text me for her amish neighbor, he needed some 30/30 ammo, i helped them out.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do about picture ID and PICS checks.
    I know this is almost a year old, but can you imagine how often they are put into Research because of another guy named Jebediah?

(York County)

Wouldn't you like to know what's in my safe.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast