Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Amish and Guns...

I grew up around a lot of Amish (in Delaware) and as one poster already mentioned, they do use them but often do not take care of them and are often not used regularly.

It's common to find extremely rusted examples of old rifles or shotguns stuffed in barns or basements.

IN PA, They often buy them at private auctions that don't run pics or most often FTF since many do not have ID, or they sometimes use air rifles for critter control.

(Warren County)

I grew up in Warren county and we have Amish all around and I was stationed in Delaware while on active duty in the Air Force. They are present there too and in both places they use modern firearms just like us. The exception being automatic rifles, can't say as I've ever seen an Amish man with AK or AR.

In Delaware at the gunsmith I frequented (Paul's) many a time I'd run into the Amish either picking up or dropping off a high powered hunting rifle. Back home in PA they used to camp in my uncles field during hunting season and they always had a nice selection of rifles, mostly scoped 30-06's.

This is just from my personal experience so it may not be the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Just wondering if some of you in Amish country could describe if the Amish use firearms?

Im sure it all depends on the family and I know everyone is different.

But whats the over all perception of firearm ownership with them?
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(Allegheny County)

Here's part one of a really well done documentary on just that:
    interesting film. i watched all six parts. i was surprised to learn that they have their own health insurance system but it really makes sense.

they always surprise me with their strange acceptance of some technology and rejection of others. like they dont drive cars or use tractors but a gas powered mower is okay. a phone outside is okay but not inside.

they may have some strange rules but they take care of each other. you need a barn your neighbors come and help build you a barn.

the thing about not being able to read the bible isnt that strange if you look back even just a few decades. catholic services were in latin. russian orthodox services were in church slavonic.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by PaBimmerGuy View Post
    the thing about not being able to read the bible isnt that strange if you look back even just a few decades. catholic services were in latin. russian orthodox services were in church slavonic.
    That how they are oppressed by thier elders.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by john doe View Post
    IN PA, They often buy them at private auctions that don't run pics or most often FTF since many do not have ID, or they sometimes use air rifles for critter control.
    Yeah, they're quite fond of auctions. I hate bidding against them for guns because they either have no idea of worth or just don't care about it. If they have their mind made up that they are buying a gun they rarely stop bidding until they do. I know there were many time when I could've purchased a gun for a reasonable price had I not been bidding against an Amish.
    It's all fun and games, til someone shoots your bobber!

(Allegheny County)

That how they are oppressed by thier elders.
    everyone is oppressed by their elders.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by PaBimmerGuy View Post
    everyone is oppressed by their elders.
    I wasnt.

"One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Lebanon County)

Do the Amish pay taxes of any kind? Property or income?
    Im asking because if they use the roads and 911 call center and police services and dont pay taxes. That seem s a little selfish to me.

I realize that they are also exempt from the draft too, correct?
    I really have no idea. That is a good point though
    si vis pacem, para bellum

(Chester County)

I too was very curious about the tax paying question. They still use the roads, own the land, deal business with big grain houses. I was told, but still haven't see documentation that yes, they do pay taxes.

(Philadelphia County)

I really wish you guys use Google to find out the answers before continuing to perpetuate a lot of the myths by making assumptions:

Amish and taxes: http://ask.yahoo.com/20030821.html

Self-employed Amish do not pay Social Security tax. Those employed by non- Amish employers do pay Social Security tax. The Amish do pay real estate, state and federal income taxes, county taxes, sales tax, etc.

The Amish do not collect Social Security benefits, nor would they collect unemployment or welfare funds. Self sufficiency is the Amish community's answer to government aid programs. Section 310 of the Medicare section of the Social Security act has a sub-section that permits individuals to apply for exemption from the self-employment tax if he is a member of a religious body that is conscientiously opposed to Social Security benefits but that makes reasonable provision of taking care of their own elderly or dependent members. The Amish have a long history of taking care of their own members. They do not have retirement communities or nursing homes; in most cases, each family takes care of their own, and the Amish community gives assistance as needed.
    http://www.holycrosslivonia.org/amish/amishfaq.htm#tax

Here's a quick blurb on Amish and guns: http://amishamerica.com/do-amish-use-guns/

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast