Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Amish and Guns...

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    LOL

Never thought about that!

They probably have some type of state ID or something.

Next time your in a gun shop ask them.
    I would love to know the answer to that one!
    Some really old order amish will not allow to have their picture taken, so a state ID would be out of the question and they wouldn't carry it.

Many of the less strict amish will have state ID, and some even have a driver's license.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Philadelphia County)

That never made sense to me.

They can kill an animal to eat, but not kill someone threatening their entire family?

Since they consider themselves christian, there are many MANY bible verses that make it okay to defend ones life.
    That's your interpretation of the verses and your choice on the preemption of commandments. They, their church, other churches, and down right to the individuals, may preempt those defense verses with the sixth commandment.

Al
    Last edited by mythaeus; June 10th, 2011 at 07:40 AM. Reason: 6th, not 1st
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Some really old order amish will not allow to have their picture taken, so a state ID would be out of the question and they wouldn't carry it.
    I dont know about PA, but about 10-15 years ago the Amish in Maryland were allowed to get a state ID with no picture due to "religious reasons".
    But Im sure after 9/11 that changed.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    That's your interpretation of the verses and your choice on the preemption of commandments. They, their church, other churches, and down right to the individuals, may preempt those defense verses with the sixth commandment.

Al
    No problem.
    I just said I never understood it is all.

I also know that most of the Amish elders do not allow their people to read the bible in a language they can understand.
    So they only know what the elders tell them.

Here's part one of a really well done documentary on just that:
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Mercer County)

The Amish that I know are avid hunters and own hunting type firearms, BUT they forbid self-defense. The Amish I know are the older Amish Mennonites or (Old Order) that believe in simple living and don't adopt modern technology.

The "Old Order" Amish, a conservative faction that have most emphasized traditional practices and beliefs. There are are modern subgroups of Amish "New Order" who are less traditional in beliefs and practices, some now have drivers licenses, I-pods, etc.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Philadelphia County)

What about amish cocaine dealers? How do they protect their turf, or do the Pagans handle that for them?

LOL

Never thought about that!

They probably have some type of state ID or something.

Next time your in a gun shop ask them.
    I would love to know the answer to that one!
    I asked my ATF IOI, picture ID or no sale.

(Chester County)

I've had some experience with the Amish. Both in recreational hobbies as well as work related things. They are just like you and I. You have good Amish and bad Amish. They are though the hardest woring people I've ever seen and they help out others in need. In my belief 2 things wayyyyyyy to many Americans lack big time. The times you hear about young Amish people getting into trouble is usually around rumspringer. I think (not 100% sure) it is a certain time where young Amish men and women are aloud to experience life outside their community. They may choose to either leave or stay.
    Onto other things about Amish.
    They DO NOT take care of their firearms. Most Amish hunters I see have rusted POS firearms. They usually just leave them in a corner and never touch them untill hunting season. They don't usually sight them in or practice or clean them. The Amish much of the time like to do drives. They like to work as a group. You can always tell an Amish drive is going on because it sounds like D-day. Boom boom boom boom boom boom etc etc and etc. They are horrible shots. One thing I'm not a huge fan about the Amish is if it is editable then shoot it and eat it.

(Lebanon County)

As a dispatcher for Lancaster PSP I get a lot of calls from the amish. They will watch someone break into their barn, and just call the police who are half a county away instead of defending their homesteads... I have never once heard of them lifting a finger to try to do something on their own in that matter.

As stated earlier in this thread, I don't understand how you can kill an animal, but a human being who is out to harm you is forbidden.
    si vis pacem, para bellum

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by Triegle View Post
    As a dispatcher for Lancaster PSP I get a lot of calls from the amish. They will watch someone break into their barn, and just call the police who are half a county away instead of defending their homesteads... I have never once heard of them lifting a finger to try to do something on their own in that matter.

As stated earlier in this thread, I don't understand how you can kill an animal, but a human being who is out to harm you is forbidden.
    Do the Amish pay taxes of any kind? Property or income?
    Im asking because if they use the roads and 911 call center and police services and dont pay taxes. That seem s a little selfish to me.

I realize that they are also exempt from the draft too, correct?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast