Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default Used Para Ordnance 14-45 Limited Opinions

I was wondering if i could get a little advice on a 1911. I found a Para Ordnance 14-45 Limited at the LGS in the used section. It is the SS version and only included one 14 round clip. The sites are adjustable also.
    The LGS wants 599 for it. It appears to be in great shape. LGS said it has a low round count on it and the condition reflects it.
    Would this be a good choice and price for a 1911??
    what searching i have done so far is either people hate or love the para ordnance, what should i look for on the gun? Any known issues with them?

Thanks

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Used Para Ordnance 14-45 Limited Opinions

IMO, it's overpriced by $100.

I prefer the Commander-sized P13-45.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=229961439

(Lancaster County)

I know it may not reflect the entire line up but the Para I had was nothing but a problem. It was a 3 1/2 inch barrel 12 round .45. Nothing I did got it to run right. I for one will never buy another Para. Maybe Im missing out but there are plenty of other gun companies I trust more.

(Monroe County)

OP, That Para doesnt take a "clip" it uses a high cap magazine.

I love Paras, i have 2 of them a LTC and a TAC-s with the LDA trigger and want to get one more, i have never had a lick of trouble from either one, i cc the ltc regularly, that being said, i agree with the other poster its over priced by about $100 . especially that you are only getting one mag with it. Offer $400. tioli.

$599 will get you a brand new Taurus 1911 and it is already checkered on the front strap, under the trigger guard, and on the main spring housing. Plastic grips, but they offer very good grip when your hands are sweaty. I have yet to change mine. Colt Series 80 style trigger safety. The entire gun is built by Taurus, mim parts and all. Even the sights are produced by Taurus under the authority of Heinie. Lifetime warranty.

That being said, not everyone likes Taurus, but I have seen more Para haters than I have seen Taurus haters. Para makes a beautiful 1911 and they look awesome in the movies. I have shot a number of Para's (all being 5" barreled) and they all performed great and were accurate, as well.

In my opinion, it is a crap shoot when you buy a used gun unless you are buying your buddy's because he needs to pay the rent or buy diapers. "Low round count" is a common term in the gun world and is deceiving. I have a PT 92SS that looks 100%, yet it has over 9000 logged rounds through it, and is showing wear on the slide rails, but still is pretty accurate. Throw the dice if you can afford $375 to $400. I wouldn't go higher than that on that gun, myself.

(Indiana County)

If it is a Canadian made Para, I'd offer $400, if it is a US made one, I'd pass.

I used an older Canadian P14 for USPSA shoots and I never had a problem with it, all it needed was some polishing on the feed ramp to allow my reloads to feed properly.

The newer US made Paras are the ones that I'm hearing the complaints about.

If you get it, CDNN and Centerfire have mags for them at a decent price. If you see 14 round widebody mags listed for the Armscor clones, they will work in the Paras.

(Lehigh County)

Thanks for the advice. I passed on the P14 and instead picked up a brand new Ruger SR1911 for $619.
    Thanks