Hello all, let me start by saying that this is my first post in this site. i have found this site on previous occasions, and it has always been really helpful to me, so i decided to register. i have a lot of respect for the knowledge that you people post up, and am honored to be a part of this.

ok, so my wife is trying to purchase a shotgun for home protection. she started by getting her Pennsylvania concealed weapon permit, which she passed her background check , with no problem (because she wants to eventually carry a sidearm).

so we go to the gun show in monroeville on may 1st, and she finds a shotgun that she wants to buy. she produces her PA DL as well as her concealed permit. so they do the paperwork and the sales rep calls in, and the person on the other end of the phone says that this transfer is "under investigation". the sales rep informs her that she cannot leave with that shotgun today, that they have 15 days to approve or deny her the purchase. she pays for the shotgun, and they inform her that if shes approved, she can pick up her firearm at their store (Dry Tavern Service in Rices Landing). if not they will refund her money (minus a $31 free for the application). 9 days go by and the store calls her to inform her she has been denied. and that they cannot give her a reason for confidential reasons, but that she has a right to fill out a "challenge of rejection form" to find out the reason why.

she has filled out that form and sent it in, and we are currently awaiting a reply. but, my question is, how could she receive a concealed weapon permit, but get denied for a shogun/rifle purchase? is the background check more thorough for a rifle purchase? has this happened to anyone else? she has nothing in her past that would prevent her from a firearm purchase, no DUI's, no felonies, no trips to the nuthouse, no PFAs in her past. how can they deny her purchase?

any advice from anyone on here would be helpful. i thank you for taking your time to read this. just trying to do things the legal way, and your comments have help me thus far. thanks for everything!!!!!