Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Smile first time at the range

I got to Shimersville range tonight for my first time firing my first pistol, the Springfield XD .40 4". The range officer was real nice and i had the place to myself. He showed me the ropes and off I went.

With 5 B27 targets, I started at 5 yds and did better than I thought I would. Not the groupings I read about here but for in home defense, I'm not going to miss, in fact my first shot was dead center. I did most shooting at 7 yds, where the results opened up a bit, but again everything was within center of mass except one where I got silly going for a head shot and missed by 2", affirming why you shoot at center mass. At 10 yds results were about the same. I finished with a 7 yd Target firing sets of 2, first shot then finding sight and firing again about 1 second later.

Observations and Questions for the seasoned shooters:

I had a hard time resisting closing my eyes at the last second. When I did keep them open, my shots went where I wanted them more often. I assume I delayed or prevented flinching. Sound right? When my didn't go where I aimed, they were always down and to the left. Is this likely a grip issue?

All thoughts and feedback welcomed. Thanks in advance.
    "Because you don't know, doesn't make me wrong." - Andrew Wilkow

Default Re: first time at the range

Quote Originally Posted by mazzefr View Post
    I got to Shimersville range tonight for my first time firing my first pistol, the Springfield XD .40 4".

I started at 5 yds and did better than I thought I would. Not the groupings I read about here but for in home defense, I'm not going to miss,

I did most shooting at 7 yds, where the results opened up a bit, but again everything was within center of mass except one where I got silly going for a head shot and missed by 2", affirming why you shoot at center mass. At 10 yds results were about the same.

Observations and Questions for the seasoned shooters:

I had a hard time resisting closing my eyes at the last second. When I did keep them open, my shots went where I wanted them more often. I assume I delayed or prevented flinching. Sound right? When my didn't go where I aimed, they were always down and to the left. Is this likely a grip issue?

Congradulations on your first gun!

As far as your groups they will get better with time. Dont worry about the groups every one else is shooting. You crawled before you walked and learning to shoot is no diffrent! Start slow and close and then farther and faster.

The flintching and anticipation will go away. Were you wearing head phones or ear plugs? Your low left trigger pull is most likely caused by improper finger/trigger control. You are probally slapping, jerking the trigger, rather than squeezing the trigger. You are right handed right?

I would recommend a basic firearms saftey course followed up by a basic pistol course. A few fundamentals and you should be on your way!

I dont live to far away and pass through Shimersville on a regular basis. Maybe we could meet up one day and do some shooting!
    Last edited by Daycrawler; May 12th, 2011 at 12:34 AM.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by mazzefr View Post

Down and left is usually from jerking/ slapping the trigger. Practice follow thru, pulling the trigger and holding it back. This is for right handed shooter.

Edit: here is a link for correction target. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-nTmTLDnN0N...n%2BTarget.jpg
    Last edited by kimbershooter; May 12th, 2011 at 12:32 AM.

(Lehigh County)

I shoot there often and while I'm no expert, if you give a heads up when your next going I'll gladly show you what I've picked up so far

(Bucks County)

Welcome to the forum. Down and to the left usually means you are jerking the trigger instead of a steady pull (assuming you are right handed. Trigger control is about the hardest thing to get down. Just take it steady and if you haven’t taken a lesson yet, it’s a good idea just from the safe firearms handling standpoint.

(Monroe County)

Start dry firing. You will be working on your breathing, trigger control, and your flinch all at the same time. Take a breath, let half out then hold your breath. Steadily press the trigger to the rear. The shot should suprise you. If the sights move you are flinching. Dry fire practice is cheap so you can really iron out your problems.

Flinching will not go away on its own. You need to actively work on that flinch each and every shot. If you can't get it under control I would recommend a .22 pistol. Good Luck!

(Lehigh County)

i have attached a pdf of a target for right or left handed users, might give some insight as to what you are doing. might help, who knows.
    Attached Files Attached Files

(Northampton County)

Mazzefr, when I started shooting, I also had a flinch.. it was really bad. With practice, you will get used to it. What helped me was remembering that if I do my part (concentrate on the front site, hold breath, slowly/steadily squeeze trigger), the gun will do its part and all will be well.

Like the others have said, shooting low and left is most likely from slapping/jerking/etc. the trigger. If not, you are both flinching and you probably have too little finger on the trigger (or too much, if you are left handed).

Fortunately, helping to correct where your shots are landing should also help your flinch. When you go to shoot, touch the trigger with your index finger, then slowly and steadily apply constant pressure on the trigger until it shoots. This should surprise you. If you find yourself in mid-shot and you notice you are not doing this, stop and try again. Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.

(Lehigh County)

All great stuff to work on guys. Thanks for the insight! :-)
    "Because you don't know, doesn't make me wrong." - Andrew Wilkow

(Montgomery County)

Congratulations!

First, I suggest some expert training, and if you can't swing that at least read all you can about shooting and firearm safety. The website corneredcat.com is excellent and covers most every aspect of handguns.

Practice often and be safe!

Ham radio: when all else fails.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast