Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Looking for the staute number on this

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    I was in my LGS today when 2 guys walked in looking pretty young and inexperienced in firearms(my assumption) asking if they had a laser. The guy at the counter said for what gun, one of the guys whips out a Ruger in 45acp that he was mexican carrying in the small of his back and says "this" as he handed it to the counter guy. They guy looks at it and says where do you plan on mounting it there's no rail? Mexican carry guy goes "oh, I don't know". Then after a few minutes the Mexican carry guy is looking for HP ammo in 45 and the guy at the counter was helping him and talking about the barrel length and again the guy whips out the gun and removes the mag and hands it over the counter and says"it's not loaded", so the counter guy pulls back the slide and BINGO! a 45ACP round hits the floor! There was a guy in there with his young son maybe 5-6 years old and several others around while this nimrod is waving his"unloaded" gun around. Now my question is I know that unholstering a loaded firearm in public is not legal but what is the statute on this as I would like to read it and also this guys at the LGS are going to be putting up signs but want to know what the statute is beforehand. I figured maybe Gunlawyer or one of the other guys who know this stuff well could help out here.
    Seeing as they didn't seem to know any better, perhaps the next time you could politely introduce yourself and explain why what they were doing was bad. As far as the shop putting up signs goes, all they need to write is, "WE DO NOT ALLOW THE HANDLING OF PERSONAL FIREARMS IN OUR STORE FOR SAFETY REASONS. IF YOU NEED TO SHOW US YOUR GUN, PLEASE BRING IT IN CLEARED WITH THE ACTION OPEN. THANK YOU.", or something similar. Maybe even provide a clearing barrel.

Not everyone had a dad/uncle/grandpa/drill sergeant to teach them proper firearm safety and etiquette. All the, "GET THE HELL OUT!!", stuff helps no one.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    Seeing as they didn't seem to know any better, perhaps the next time you could politely introduce yourself and explain why what they were doing was bad. As far as the shop putting up signs goes, all they need to write is, "WE DO NOT ALLOW THE HANDLING OF PERSONAL FIREARMS IN OUR STORE FOR SAFETY REASONS. IF YOU NEED TO SHOW US YOUR GUN, PLEASE BRING IT IN CLEARED WITH THE ACTION OPEN. THANK YOU.", or something similar. Maybe even provide a clearing barrel.

Not everyone had a dad/uncle/grandpa/drill sergeant to teach them proper firearm safety and etiquette. All the, "GET THE HELL OUT!!", stuff helps no one.
    This would be extremely more helpful!
    -Remember the Constitution-

Rep sent for adding "drill sergeant". And no I'm not a drill sergeant. Just remember a few.

Yea that's basically what we spoke about as far as the sign, and just to be clear they didn't get thrown out although that's what several people wanted to do; I feel that the "counter guy" handled it well by letting them know about their error and also selling the box of ammo and a holster. I do however think he should have informed them about seeking some safety course or NRA instruction. I did not say anything as I know the guys at the store well and do not want to interfere with their jobs, he handled it well without me.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    Yea that's basically what we spoke about as far as the sign, and just to be clear they didn't get thrown out although that's what several people wanted to do; I feel that the "counter guy" handled it well by letting them know about their error and also selling the box of ammo and a holster. I do however think he should have informed them about seeking some safety course or NRA instruction. I did not say anything as I know the guys at the store well and do not want to interfere with their jobs, he handled it well without me.
    The thing is, you are kind of bad mouthing them, when from your description, they simply didn't know any better. You called him a nimrod, who was waving his gun around. My guess, again from your description, is that he simply was never taught firearm safety and was just handing over his pistol to the guy at the store. I am not sure how you politely introducing yourself and explaining to them that there are things you do, and don't do, with a firearm, so no one is in danger, would have been stepping on the salesman's toes. Had you described them as "gangster", cutting up with their "gat", or some similar behavior, it would be a different story. But what you described was a simple case of a lack of knowledge. Rectifying that condition is kind of what the users on this board are supposed to be doing, not treating them like smelly homeless people.
    Just sayin'

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

The thing is, you are kind of bad mouthing them, when from your description, they simply didn't know any better. You called him a nimrod, who was waving his gun around. My guess, again from your description, is that he simply was never taught firearm safety and was just handing over his pistol to the guy at the store. I am not sure how you politely introducing yourself and explaining to them that there are things you do, and don't do, with a firearm, so no one is in danger, would have been stepping on the salesman's toes. Had you described them as "gangster", cutting up with their "gat", or some similar behavior, it would be a different story. But what you described was a simple case of a lack of knowledge. Rectifying that condition is kind of what the users on this board are supposed to be doing, not treating them like smelly homeless people.
    Just sayin'
    I can appreciate what you're saying. I do realize I called him a nimrod, but I did so because whether they had firearm safety or not it's simple common sense not to wave a loaded gun around. He also handed his loaded firearm to another individual twice and the second time he said it wasn't loaded and in fact the chamber had a round in it. If one "doesn't know" their firearm is loaded or not that's is a nimrod in my book. Should I have corrected them some...yea I should have but at the time I felt it wasn't my place to do so as the salesman who was dealing with them had it fully under control without me. But I assure you if there is a next time I will be doing exactly what we a re talking about. Thanks for bringing that to my attention, rep coming for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12