Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Carry as a baseball umpire

This is my fifth year as a baseball umpire and I love the job and the kids. As we all know, some parents can get a little rowdy and/or obnoxious. Well I just got an email from the league about a parent who was kicked out of the league for following an umpire back to his car and threatening him. Considering some of the areas I umpire I feel that carrying is probably in my best interest.

Obviously, deep concealment is a necessity. I just recently purchased a pocket holster for my Sig P238 and was going to pocket carry it in my right front pocket when it dawned on me, what if I get hit with a foul ball there? I can't carry in my back pocket because it isn't deep enough and the grip can protrude slightly when I bend over.

Do you think it's a bad idea to carry in my right front pocket? In my four years I've been hit only once there (and I stopped keeping my phone there as a result). I don't think a ball hitting the gun would be enough to set it off but considering I carry condition 1 I'm not sure it's worth the risk.

I considered a tuckable IWB holster but I often ride my motorcycle to the games which requires taking my shirt off to put on my chest protector in plain view of people in the parking lot. Like it or not, but it's my opinion that for situations like this the gun needs to stay COMPLETELY hidden.

Getting another gun is out of the question. So what are people's thoughts? Is it safe? Should I switch to condition 2 or 3?

Thanks guys!
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Carry as a baseball umpire

Wouldn't you almost always be on a school grounds?

Personally, I wouldn't carry. All that moving around, bending up and down, etc.

I'd be worried about dropping it or an AD around children.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    Wouldn't you almost always be on a school grounds?

Personally, I wouldn't carry. All that moving around, bending up and down, etc.

I'd be worried about dropping it or a AD around children.
    Only one or two fields are on school grounds and obviously I wouldn't carry there. I know all the fields by heart and I know which ones are schools and which are public parks. No worries.

The pocket holster I got is amazing. RKBA holsters if anyone's interested
    http://www.rkbaholsters.com/

Trust me, the gun and holster wouldn't be going anywhere. I just started pocket carrying with it and I can run at a full spring without any worry of anything popping out .

My biggest concern is the danger of the gun being hit by a foul ball or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Would that interfere with a cup? . And it's still in an area that's exposed to foul balls.

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    Would that interfere with a cup? . And it's still in an area that's exposed to foul balls.
    Look, we don't wanna hear about your cup and balls... foul or otherwise

Maybe the Smartcarry could be worn and shifted to the side or back???

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    This is my fifth year as a baseball umpire and I love the job and the kids. As we all know, some parents can get a little rowdy and/or obnoxious. Well I just got an email from the league about a parent who was kicked out of the league for following an umpire back to his car and threatening him. Considering some of the areas I umpire I feel that carrying is probably in my best interest ......
    If you've been umping for 5 years and you haven't been threatened yet, you just aren't trying hard enough ... lol.

Be thankful you are a baseball ump. You have better options of carrying than a soccer ref (me), and you don't have to run up and down a field for 90 minutes.
    I've been threatened to be killed or beat up 4 times in my reffing career (13 years) and it's not fun, but those are stories for another thread.

If switching guns isn't an option, I'd carry the P238 in your front pocket condition 2.

It would have to be a once in a lifetime occurrence to be hit in your gun, disengage the safety, and then for the gun to discharge.
    Having said that, I wouldn't take that chance - especially with the gun next to my gun

If changing guns were an option I'd go with a Kahr PM9, but that's also a story for another thread.

Good luck out there!

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Again... If changing guns were an option, how about a snub nosed, concealed hammer .38 or .357?

(Bucks County)

I think you'll be fine carrying in your front pocket. Unless the ball is going to pull the trigger the gun will not go off.

(Berks County)

I just bought a pistolwear holster and I really like it for its intended purpose. It fits around the hips it concealed all three guns (p3at, cz 82 and .38 snubby) really well and all I had on was a t shirt and basketball shorts. The p3at was the best for obvious reasons but the other two were doable. Wearing it with a belt caused a slower draw but with practice I think would be fine. It was the pt-2 and cost 39 and change shipped.

http://pistolwear.com/holsters.htm
    Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out.
    John Wooden

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast