Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: Carry as a baseball umpire

Derr, I didn't see this. The 511 shirt is pretty slick. I've used mine quite a bit. Hell, I'd wear it everyday just to always have a bug, but it needs washed occasionally... Need to get a few more of those. Here's a review from 511s page;
    Pros
    Breathable
    Plenty Of Pockets
    Versatile

Cons
    None

Best Uses
    Everyday Wear
    Exercise

I've been jogging recently in an effort to get back into shape, but I live in an urban area where crime is a problem and I never leave the house without a weapon.

Before I found out about this product, I carried my Sig P238 in a pocket holster in my shorts pocket. This was problematic because the loose pocket would cause the weapon to swing wildly about while I ran. The weight of the gun made it impractical to carry while exercising, but I was not about to go running around a public park at midnight without protection (i.e. at least a weapon and a phone).

When I went looking for a solution, I chose this holster shirt over a belly band and 5.11 did not make me regret it. The shoulder yoked pockets secure their contents while. Even at a dead sprint, the movement of the contents is negligible. I now carry everything (gun, phone and keys) in the holster shirt pockets with room to spare.

The fit is tight, but not too tight. Ideal for an exercise undershirt. The pockets make the shirt bulkier than your average undershirt and it gets a little warmer than you might expect, but neither of these are real problems and only noticeable when compared to dedicated exercise clothing. Both are very small trade offs when the benefits of carrying concealed are taken into account.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    I'm assuming you wear a big foam chest protector
    i used to wear a foam inside protector and getting nailed with a fast ball or foul can still be felt. i cant imagine what it would feel like to get hit in a gun with a ball. a high school fast ball is moving at close to 80 mph or faster.

(Chester County)

anyone else think of the movie The Crazies when they read this?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by psusra112 View Post
    I normally keep a can of mace in my official's bag that's always in my view on the sideline. Not the best way to do things, but I can't really carry as a soccer official.

I do, however, keep the pistol condition one in the car, ready to roll if I need it. Almost needed it once, thankfully cooler heads prevailed.
    BINGO!!

Leave the firearm in the car and get some good police issue pepper spray. If you have to use it, you run like hell to the car after hosing them.

I hate to think, if something slips and a parent sees a gun on you. Oh boy!!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

Quote Originally Posted by PaBimmerGuy View Post
    i used to wear a foam inside protector and getting nailed with a fast ball or foul can still be felt. i cant imagine what it would feel like to get hit in a gun with a ball. a high school fast ball is moving at close to 80 mph or faster.
    This is little league. The oldest kids have just turned 15. I was umping a game last night with kids 11 & 12 years old and I took a foul ball off the shoulder. It hit me square in the padding but there's still a bruise there today. Can't imagine high school aged kids!

Quote Originally Posted by XACEX View Post
    anyone else think of the movie The Crazies when they read this?
    Funny you mention that, I just saw that movie a few weeks ago .
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastball View Post
    BINGO!!

Leave the firearm in the car and get some good police issue pepper spray. If you have to use it, you run like hell to the car after hosing them.

I hate to think, if something slips and a parent sees a gun on you. Oh boy!!
    Unless there's a chance of rain I take the bike. Not many places to store a firearm there .
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(York County)

I can relate to that!

I played hardball until I was 35 and I am always on the bike.

BTW, it's even harder to conceal in a baseball uni!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

I’m famous.
    Opening Day is just around the corner, the cherry trees are budding at Nationals Park, (most of) the World Series champion Houston Astros are in the East Room of the White House, and a nimrod who calls himself Zackattack784 has posted this on the online forum of the Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association:
    This is my fifth year as a baseball umpire and I love the job and the kids. As we all know, some parents can get a little rowdy and/or obnoxious. Well I just got an email from the league about a parent who was kicked out of the league for following an umpire back to his car and threatening him. Considering some of the areas I umpire I feel that carrying is probably in my best interest.
    http://www.macleans.ca/politics/wash...and-fastballs/
    Last edited by zackattack784; May 14th, 2018 at 02:54 PM.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    That's pretty crazy! Good reminder that anything you post on the web lives forever...

Of course there was absolutely nothing wrong with what you said except from the viewpoint of a leftist loon.

(Allegheny County)

Last edited by DukeConnor; May 14th, 2018 at 04:24 PM.

(Franklin County)

Not trying to discourage you carrying at all, but it seems like pepper spray could be a good 'first option' in some cases, and would add negligible weight and bulk to your gear.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast