Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Carry as a baseball umpire

I say front right pocket in a good hard holster. And NEVER carry in condition 2, if anything 3.

what about a Kangaroocarry??

I'm a soccer referee. I've encountered these "parents" or in the adult leagues, players that follow one back to their car. I normally keep a can of mace in my official's bag that's always in my view on the sideline. Not the best way to do things, but I can't really carry as a soccer official.

I do, however, keep the pistol condition one in the car, ready to roll if I need it. Almost needed it once, thankfully cooler heads prevailed.

Ankle holster? Or do you wear shorts?

(Allegheny County)

get an ump-attire ball bag. that was the ball bag that i used. it has a zipper pocket that you can use to hold a rule book, wallet, etc. or a pistol.

www.ump-attire.com

not to brag but they actually modified the bag on my recommendation.

also look through your association and league rules for anything regarding weapons.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1blindref View Post
    If you've been umping for 5 years and you haven't been threatened yet, you just aren't trying hard enough ... lol.

Be thankful you are a baseball ump. You have better options of carrying than a soccer ref (me), and you don't have to run up and down a field for 90 minutes.
    I've been threatened to be killed or beat up 4 times in my reffing career (13 years) and it's not fun, but those are stories for another thread.
    Like 1blindref, I'm also a soccer ref. Besides having to run up and down the field for 90 minutes, we don't get to wear a belt to attach a holster to either. Personally, I would be hesitant to pocket carry, on the off chance that while running to get into position to make a call it could bounce out of your pocket. Perhaps you could carry with a tuck-able IWB with a holster that you can have beneath an undershirt so that it is not visible when putting on your chest protector.

Also, I always make sure that I am parked as near to the field as possible and in such a manner that I can pull forward out of the spot if necessary.

I do typically keep a can of pepper spray in my gear bag. Yes, there is a small risk that a kid can go into my bag and find it, but even if found, there is very little risk of permanent harm. I find this to be a good balance.

Quote Originally Posted by 1blindref View Post
    If you've been umping for 5 years and you haven't been threatened yet, you just aren't trying hard enough ... lol.

Be thankful you are a baseball ump. You have better options of carrying than a soccer ref (me), and you don't have to run up and down a field for 90 minutes.
    I've been threatened to be killed or beat up 4 times in my reffing career (13 years) and it's not fun, but those are stories for another thread.

If switching guns isn't an option, I'd carry the P238 in your front pocket condition 2.

It would have to be a once in a lifetime occurrence to be hit in your gun, disengage the safety, and then for the gun to discharge.
    Having said that, I wouldn't take that chance - especially with the gun next to my gun

If changing guns were an option I'd go with a Kahr PM9, but that's also a story for another thread.

Good luck out there!
    I actually have been threatened once. A guy thought the world owed him everything and decided to walk right across the field, in front of the outfielders while the game was in progress. I yelled at him to get off the field. He came sauntering up to me and threatened to kill me if I ever talked to him like that again. I stopped the game and called the cops. The guy was dumb enough to stay at the ball field. Myself and both coaches identified him, told the cops what happened and he got a free ride in a police car. Ever since I've never yelled at anyone to get off the field, I make the home coach do it.

I've had to call the cops on one other occasion as well. So yea, I have a legitimate reason .

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Again... If changing guns were an option, how about a snub nosed, concealed hammer .38 or .357?
    I'm too young for that, how about a P3AT?

Quote Originally Posted by psusra112 View Post
    I'm a soccer referee. I've encountered these "parents" or in the adult leagues, players that follow one back to their car. I normally keep a can of mace in my official's bag that's always in my view on the sideline. Not the best way to do things, but I can't really carry as a soccer official.

I do, however, keep the pistol condition one in the car, ready to roll if I need it. Almost needed it once, thankfully cooler heads prevailed.
    Hey I'm all for hearing the horror stories, I don't mind if we stray off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by libra8 View Post
    Ankle holster? Or do you wear shorts?
    I do wear pants and that's a legitimate option. I really like how quickly I can draw my pocket holster though. I can draw as quick or quicker than I can when I carry my P238 IWB.

Quote Originally Posted by PaBimmerGuy View Post
    get an ump-attire ball bag. that was the ball bag that i used. it has a zipper pocket that you can use to hold a rule book, wallet, etc. or a pistol.

www.ump-attire.com

not to brag but they actually modified the bag on my recommendation.

also look through your association and league rules for anything regarding weapons.
    That's the exact bag I have minus the separate compartments . I bought it when I was under 21 so I wasn't really thinking ahead. It would definitely bounce out if I kept it in my current ball bag.

ETA: On second thought, I think I might buy that bag. My current bag is in good condition but I like the pockets for my indicator and brush and it would give me some extra peace of mind against foul balls/things hitting my gun. Thanks for the suggestion!

I'm a city employee, I don't think they are allowed to prohibit me from carrying . Either way, I don't plan on letting anyone ever know or find out.
    Last edited by zackattack784; May 10th, 2011 at 08:36 PM.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Luzerne County)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    ETA: On second thought, I think I might buy that bag. My current bag is in good condition but I like the pockets for my indicator and brush . . .
    id rep you for calling it an indicator and not a clicker but the system wont let me.

(Cumberland County)

I'll sell you a P32 on the cheap.

I've got a S&W 38-2 I'd sell you even cheaper...

I don't know what it's like in your area, but around here it's pretty easy to find a used P3AT or a P32. I saw one for $175 the other day. I almost bought just because of the price.

The way I see it you have a few options;

You can carry the Sig, and chances are you'll never have a problem, or you can eliminate the possibility of ever having a problem with a different gun.

You could try to find a small lightweight shoulder holster too. Perhaps even a holster shirt. Those options would make the gun tough to get to in a hurry, but certainly better than no gun.

I'm assuming you wear a big foam chest protector. You could try something like a neck harness, or you could even make one yourself out of a Fobus (Gasp!) or something. You just have to wear a shirt that would keep you from printing.
    Last edited by rwb1500; May 10th, 2011 at 11:53 PM.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast