Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Duracoat my experience so far

Well it is supposed to be simple and I guess it was with the right tools. I ordered a camo pack for my 700 but wanted to try it on some smaller parts to get the hang of it. Here is what I found...

The airbrush and propellant that comes with the kit is junk! The video say if the can freezes put it warm water, which I did but had to keep changing the water. So I went to Harbor Freight and bought a compressor with a much better airbrush kit.

The color I was experimenting with was Magpul Green and I forgot to add the flattening agent so it had a high gloss. That is my fault and I will just re-spray it with thew correct mixture.

All in all, I would say it is very easy to with.

Anybody have any helpful advice for the for working with multiple colors?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Duracoat my experience so far

I never applied it, but I had two guns professionally done. Duracoat and Ceracoat were used to refinish government 45s, not orginal colts before anyone faints.

The success of the process, like bluing, depends on the prep before the application. Whatever is in your instructions regarding such prep must be followed and then some.

After preping, the gunsmith sprayed the duracoat onto the parts of the disassembled gun, then stuck the parts into an oven at 350 degrees. The parts were removed after I don't recall how long, then allowed to cool. The process was repeated and afterwhich, the parts were left to lay for 24 hours so the material would set up. The firearm was reassembled. Very nice result both in durability and asthetics. Uniformity in color and smooth to the touch. If application is not done correctly, the "coat" will peel after a short time. I would call a company representative if there is any questions regarding your set of instructions, or the process you are using.