Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Police confront OCer

Your encounter mirrors the experience of many OC'ers. Not just in PA but the country. (hint: check out opencarry.org discussion forums)

It's a shame that so many of these LEO interactions contain the same two commonalities.
    1) Editorializing on their personal opinion "appropriateness" of OC.
    2) Outright lying about others being "concerned" as a n excuse to give you a hard time (aka hassle).

Seems as if some of them just can't help themselves.

I'm happy that so far I have not had anything but positive LEO interactions. The few that did speak with me were aware of the legality and had no problem with it.
    Since it is very uncommon here I was surprised.

(Allegheny County)

Well written saga, you are a pretty good writer. I think you and the cops handled it quite professionally.

If I saw someone walk into a restaurant at 3:45 am with a gun on their hip OC'ing I would be suspicious too. Sorry that's just human nature. As a civilian I would have watched you for any suspicious behavior.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    If I saw someone walk into a restaurant at 3:45 am with a gun on their hip OC'ing I would be suspicious too. Sorry that's just human nature. As a civilian I would have watched you for any suspicious behavior.
    Nothing wrong with watching someone you are suspicious with. But, actually, it's a conditioned response. Not human nature. Do you consider yourself "suspicious" because you own/carry a gun? How about the police?

Quote Originally Posted by RWhiteman View Post
    ... After awhile the friendly conversation took a personal turn and the officer managed to ask for my name, age, occupation, area of residence, and city of origin--all cloaked in a guise of friendly banter.
    You didn't mention it, so I guess they did not, but DID they ask if you had a LTCF, not that one is needed of course, to OC in Irwin. I just wondered.

BTW, Welcome to the forum.

(Allegheny County)

I'm surprised he didn't ask you for ID and your LTCW since you had a jacket on and your gun was concealed until you removed it.

Hawk,
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

RWhiteman,
    First of all, WELCOME to the forum!

Thanks for sharing that, but I call "LIAR!"

I think you left out the part about how the SWAT team was dispatched, and I think it is unfair to the readers to skip over the whole "take you down and throw your ass in jail" part that SO many people KNOW is what happens when one openly carries a handgun.

Sheesh!

I'm kidding, of course.(the LIAR part)

That was a good read.
    I'm bookmarking it for the next 300 people who post the same, tired old rants about how they "KNOW" the police will react to a "man with a gun."
    Last edited by Emptymag; April 5th, 2009 at 12:04 AM. Reason: link no longer needed. disgusted. betrayed.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Nothing wrong with watching someone you are suspicious with. But, actually, it's a conditioned response. Not human nature.
    It is human nature for self-preservation if someone makes you suspicious of their intent to harm you or not.

Do you consider yourself "suspicious" because you own/carry a gun? How about the police?
    I'm sorry but I think that's a completely ridiculous question. We're talking about OC'ing not owning or CC'ing. BTW, I don't OC and no one would ever be suspicious of me. Those two cops would never have engaged me in that same manner.

I'd feel the same suspicion if a civilian walked in with a baseball bat at 3:45am or had a sword on their hip.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)

(Westmoreland County)

Great post...well written and entertaining! Welcome to the PAFOA!

I'm glad your story has a happy ending! I have been to that Eat 'N Park several times myself but I always carry concealed.

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    I'm sorry but I think that's a completely ridiculous question. We're talking about OC'ing not owning or CC'ing. .
    You completely missed my point. The rhetorical questions were to support that the response is "conditioned". IOW, it is not "human nature" to be suspicious of someone carrying a gun. If that was true you would be suspicious of yourself and LEO's

(Allegheny County)

You completely missed my point. The rhetorical questions were to support that the response is "conditioned". IOW, it is not "human nature" to be suspicious of someone carrying a gun. If that was true you would be suspicious of yourself and LEO's
    That's your opinion, my differs and I stand by it.

I'm not arguing the point with you any further.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast