Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Double Action/Single Action vs Constant Action

Hey all,

I hit the NRA convention last weekend with Mrs. BryanS, and we were looking around and fondling various firearms in our search for our first purchase. We've basically decided on the Baretta PX4 in 9mm variety, but we have one question. What is the difference between the Type F (Double Action/Single Action) and the Type C (Constant Action)? We're looking for pros and cons, and please keep in mind, that we are both relatively new to firearms.

Thanks,
    BryanS

Default Re: Double Action/Single Action vs Constant Action

i have been eyeballing a px4 for the past 4 months and i researched the topic as well. i cant comment on it extensively right now bc im at work right now but to cut to the chase the DA/SA is the traditional long first pull which cocks the hammer and the subsequent rounds are single action (light trigger weight) because the hammer is already in its cocked state.

If you, like myself, are looking for the closest px4 action to a Springfield XD, Glock, or other striker fired pistol then you would be interested in the constant action. The constant action is pretty much the same as the glocks/XDs however the trigger pull is a about two pounds heavier. The reason why the trigger lbs differs from the aforementioned pistols is that each trigger pull has to finish fully cocking the striker more so than the glock. I havent handled a glock but its debated that the trigger pull on a glock moves the striker just a very little bit as well. Nonetheless the px4 engages the striker more so than the glock or xd but the action (if you are trying to compare it to something) is the same.
    Last edited by beast1989; May 8th, 2011 at 04:17 PM.

(Allegheny County)

DA/SA is a solution looking for a problem. It solves nothing, and simply make sit harder to learn to shoot the gun as you will need to learn 2 seperate trigger pulls and practice them both. Then, ironically, the more important pull for the CCer is the DA as draw to first shot should be high on your priority list, but alas youll only get that shot once per draw sequence.

(Allegheny County)

OK, so if I'm reading this right, the CA is a constant Double Action, instead of the DA/SA combination?

(Allegheny County)

Yes.
    But without handling one I have no idea if it'd a nice smooth da like the hk LEM or just some awful 12 lb pos like I expect it would be .

Why the berretta and not a glock or m&p or other modern strikers fired gun ?

(Allegheny County)

Well, it's one that both me and the wife feel comfortable holding (and dry firing), and it fits her hand rather well. She didn't like the feel of the Sigs or the Paras. She was OK with the Glock and the Taurus, and several other manufacturers. And honestly, the double action didn't feel that heavy at all...but as I said in the first post, we are basically coming into this as noobs. I have only gone shooting once, and she has never gone shooting.

Bryan.

(Cumberland County)

More and more I think I prefer SAO. That's just me though. A consistent trigger pull is a good thing, be it double or single action.

I take it they don't make a Single Action only version of the Beretta?
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Allegheny County)

@rwb They do make the Beretta PX4 9mm Type C (Constant Action), which beast and Shawn indicate is the single action only variety. I was just soliciting opinions about the Type F vs Type C.
    Last edited by BryanS; May 8th, 2011 at 07:27 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by BryanS View Post
    @rwb They do make the Beretta PX4 9mm Type C (Constant Action), which beast and Shawn indicate is the single action only variety. I was just soliciting opinions about the Type F vs Type C.
    I believe the type C is double action only, meaning a long, heavy trigger pull compared to aa single action only, which would have a short, light pull and a manual safety.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Allegheny County)

Yeah, you're right. Got my terminology backwards. Sorry.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast