Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Wyoming County)

Default Ruger P95 Problems

So I'm sure this forum has its fair share of people asking for pistol help and I guess I will unfortunately have to add to that number. I recently purchased my first handgun, a Ruger P95PR. Partly because they have a rep for being reliable but mostly because it was cheap and there . I took it out to a friends private land with 300 rounds to get a feel for it (the last time I fired a pistol was boot camp and it was a horrible experience). Everything was going fine for the first 200 rounds then it went down hill quickly. About every 2-3 rounds it would either fail to feed or fail to eject. So I snaked the barrel and brushed off the feed ramp, tried a different mag, and tightened my grip to make sure I wasn't holding it like a nancy. It helped a little but still would get at least 2 with every mag. my question, is this normal with all handguns or all rugers for that matter when firing 300 rounds in a single sitting, or am I just overacting and it was probably just dirty ammo or limp wristing it? I was using Remington 115gr the "mega pack" from wally world, and 3 factory mags. your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

"edit" also 2 other people with more experience handgunning than I, had the same problem when they tried it
    Last edited by Scallywag85; May 7th, 2011 at 07:40 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Ruger P95 Problems

sounds like a lube problem. you were fine until it got all gunked up or dried up. once you cleaned it you didnt oiled it, so the same problem came up.

thats what happened to me and my p95.

You just need to put a little bit of grease on the slide rails then all will be good.

On the Ruger website they have a cleaning video for the P95 and it states this as part of the process.

http://www.ruger.com/products/p95/extras.html

If you do this you should never have that same problem again... Least that how it was for mine, been flawless since I started lubing it as instructed.

(Wyoming County)

figures, I always miss the small stuff. you guys are probably right I don't think I oiled it fully when I cleaned it before I left to shoot... Thanks for the tips

(Carbon County)

mine did the same thing, but it had nothing to do with cleaning or grease...it was a lemon. worse gun i ever owned. needless to say i got rid of it. it was fine the first 300 rounds. after that anytime i took the gun to the range, i had the same problems. i never did like that gun.

Ive put 655 rounds through mine (I keep the brass for reloads so know my count).

First 200 rounds, had the same issue. Turns out I was limp wristing it after 150rds my first outing with it. Worked on my grip and stance, no issues since. I have gotten some MecGar 17rd mags for it since and shot over 400 rounds. Its a good pistol, but I'm seriously considering selling it to get the new SR1911.
    Hold the Line...

(Wayne County)

Another thing to look out for on the p95 is the little circular clip that retains the springs on the guide rod. part # V06203 - recoil spring collar retainer. It can pop off. Though it doesn't affect it while shooting, it can go flying upon disassembly. Being that it's so small it can be hard to find.
    Last edited by SkullBone; May 8th, 2011 at 11:57 AM. Reason: spelling