Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Who shoots 45ACP for competition?

I just curious as to who is shooting 45ACP in competitions and what is your load. I just recently started to shoot for practice like IDPA/IPSC with a friend and I think my loads are a bit too strong for competition. I'm also shooting them out of my 1911 which I'm switching out of for matches now and most likely shooting an XD45c. I have also heard the XD45 doesn't like SWC bullets and that's what I load(of course). Anyway, I load a LSWC 200gr over 5.0gr of WST, I do get a small amount of leading but it cleans right up and they don't really smoke that much. I'm looking for what you shoot in matches as far as pistol and loads just to get some ideas.
    Thanks

Default Re: Who shoots 45ACP for competition?

I load and shoot 45 for my 1911 in steel matches, USPSA, etc. I have been shooting 185gn SWC over 4.0gn Bullseye at 1.210 (i think) OAL for a really light load that still cycles on a full power spring.

I have been having problems with cases not being re-sized properly, so I'm getting the occasional FTF which I'm not happy about. I will tweak this, and probably switch to 230gn round nose. It's also much easier to make any PF and you can run them silly soft.

(Susquehanna County)

Coming out of a 5" tube (in a semi-auto) a 200 gr class (205 gr. actual wt.) Lead Truncated Cone bullet ahead of 8.1 grs of Accurate # 5 or the same bullet using 5.1 gr. of Titegroup should put you just a bit above the 165,000 IDPA power factor for .45 ACP.

Results will be a bit below power factor for these loads in a revolver.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Delaware County)

For USPSA Revolver, 4.3 grains of Bullseye under a Lee 452-228-1R, Federal LP primer.

For USPSA L10, the same 452-228-1R but only 4.1 grains of Bullseye, Winchester LP primer.

For steel, 3.2 grains of Clays under that 452-228-1R again, Winchester LP primer.

(Clearfield County)

The best load I found for my Springfields is in the 3.7 to 3.9 range with WST and a 200 LSWC. This is from 50 yards. If you are after accuracy, it is important that you work up a load for each pistol. This load is just average in my Dan Wesson which shoots the best with 3.7 VV N310 and a 200 SWC. BE and Clays shoots ok in all of my 45s but not the best in any.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    I just curious as to who is shooting 45ACP in competitions and what is your load. I just recently started to shoot for practice like IDPA/IPSC with a friend and I think my loads are a bit too strong for competition. I'm also shooting them out of my 1911 which I'm switching out of for matches now and most likely shooting an XD45c. I have also heard the XD45 doesn't like SWC bullets and that's what I load(of course). Anyway, I load a LSWC 200gr over 5.0gr of WST, I do get a small amount of leading but it cleans right up and they don't really smoke that much. I'm looking for what you shoot in matches as far as pistol and loads just to get some ideas.
    Thanks
    Shooting minor in USPSA when major is available is a handicap a new shooter doesn't need. I don't know the IDPA rules, but suspect they have a penalty for not making power factor as well.

4.9 grains of WST under a 200 grain LSWC made 872 fps average out of my 5 inch 1911. That's a 174 power factor. I expect that your 5.0 load is making about the same velocity. 174 is a bit of excess cushion for USPSA, but without a chronograph, you have to load hot to ensure compliance with the rules.

4.2 grains of WST under the same 200 grain LSWC only made 720 fps average. That's only a 144 power factor. In my gun, the 4.2 load is wonderfully accurate. But not making major is a deal breaker.

(Westmoreland County)

I just shot my first IDPA match Saturday with my Remigton 1911R1. I don't have a press and all that, so I was just shooting plain Winchester FMJ's. I only shoot a couple of hundred rounds a year though, so I've never really needed a reloading station up until now.
    "Life does not stop and start at your convenience."

(Montgomery County)

I was only able to chrono 1 of my rounds.. 230 FMJ 5.9gr Unique was doing 188 pf.

I think I'm gonna be sticking to 200gr Lead rounds, shot a USPSA match this weekend 200gr LRN 4.6 bullseye cci primer 1.265 OAL It was was shooting nice for me, but I don't know what the PF is yet.

Soon as I run out these bullets gonna try SWC.. they sure do make a nice big hole. I'm shooting a G21

Using the stock glock barrel. but using Better Bullets/Kings Shooters lead bullets. So far no leading, and have bout 500 rounds of lead through it.