Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Default Re: Guns for my female

1911 in 9m is a good choice for smaller hands. Congrats on getting your gf into shooting. Range dates are a lot more fun than seeing a romantic comedy.

When or if she decides she wants to carry daily there will be a couple good options available to her. Maybe she'll even buy that handgun herself. One can hope of course.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by mollymayhem82 View Post
    Again with the revolvers. I wonder if this gun was going to be for a man, would the suggestions be the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by spartakis252 View Post
    Im going to be taking my girlfriend gun shopping sometime soon, ill have to send her in on her own to see what the try to push her into. She kinda likes Glocks but the 17 is to big and the 26 is to small for her and I don't own a 19(yet) but that's the 1st thing she has in mind to 'try on'.
    Well my girlfriend and I finally got a chance to check out a few guns(went to Gander Mnt. not my 1st choice in gun stores but we were in the area, anyways...)
    We go in and I'm checking out the used case, they had a real nice condition M9A1 so I asked to see it. Handed it off to her, she didn't like it. The guy working there asked if it was for her so I said I'm looking for something for her to shoot that isn't a Glock 17 or 26. So at this point we go to the new gun section, I don't remember the particular order she was handed the following list but his suggestions: Sig 238, Beretta Tomcat? .32 and .25 cal models, Springfield XDs, Glock 19, S&W Bodyguard. She didn't like any of those....but the guy really seemed to try convince her the .380s were the way to go. No mention of any revolvers what so ever.

Best part of the story. I'm looking to get a 1911(cuz everyone should have at least 1 I guess), so I start asking to see them. Their selection sucked, but I'm considering the Springfield Loaded/Operator(which they didn't have) so I'm checking out a Taurus PT1911, then hand it off to her...she didn't like the "plastic-y" grip panels but like the way it felt. So the guy pulls out a Colt Defender with the Hogue wrap arounds...She fell in love(i know she's a keeper).

Now I just gotta convince her the .45 isn't gonna break her wrist or smack her in the face like that desert eagle chick on youtube.

Sorry for the long rambling story but I was told to report back and well there you have it. I'm gonna go broke(r) buying a his and hers 1911s.

(Lackawanna County)

I am more talking about new shooters than females. For your lady it sounds as if they're one in the same...

I know this is an old thread but I joined recently and I'm surprised nobody mentioned this...

What about a .22 long rifle caliber pistol? It wouldn't be for self defense or whatever... but she could learn how to shoot accurate and have a lot of fun for cheap. Meanwhile, keep your snubby .357 in you guys' nightstand or whatever and if (God forbid) poo hits the fan she can use it.

If you're looking for a carry gun, should she really be carrying after going to the range twice?

Finally, I am not a misogynist who thinks all females are wimpy and should shoot .22s all the time. My 120 lb lady has shot a .454 Casull. I'm just saying for a new shooter you could get her used to firearm safety and fun without spending as much on ammo as you did the gun and you mentioned budget was an issue.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by spartakis252 View Post
    Now I just gotta convince her the .45 isn't gonna break her wrist or smack her in the face like that desert eagle chick on youtube
    Get her a 1911... in 9mm. Great compromise. More fun to shoot and the ammo is cheaper. And she gets the 1911 form factor which my wife also likes. I'm looking for a 9mm 1911 for her too.

(Lycoming County)

Maybe you could set a date and time at your local range and anybody that wants to show up with their hardware can do so and she gets an opportunity to try out various handguns.

Otherwise, all she can go by is the feel from the showcase.

Plus, it gives opportunity for some 2nd Amendment fans to get together and have a nice day at the range.

Just a thought!!

Pistol Packin Preacher (and his Pistol Packin Princess! - who prefers a S&W single stack 9 MM semi auto)

(Schuylkill County)

Have her check out a springfield xd 9mm 4" barrel. It kicks less than my wifes ppk walther and costs less than $500.00. We own both and my wife is only 5' tall.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789