Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Blair County)

Default Positive PD encounter

Had a positive police encounter this evening. Had to call them because a neighbor, who took offense to the posting of our land and threatened me last year, decided he was going to target shoot in a field near his house this evening. Problem is, he has no backstop to shoot into. Bullets could be heard flying by, through the leaves, and hitting the hillside near where we were.

Anyway, police from three areas show up (Freedom Twp, Blair Twp, and Roaring Spring Borough). I told them what was going on, and that we were up there target shooting. They never even mentioned our guns, let alone disarmed us "for their own safety." Come to think of it, they never even asked if I had a ltcf.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Positive PD encounter

So what happened to the rest of the story? What did they say about the neighbor that were shooting accross your land without a backstop?

And Kudos to the PD for not harrassing you about your LTCF or lack thereof, i knew there were a reason i moved to PA!

Good luck, Mike

(Blair County)

I haven't heard back from the PD about it; all I know is they were going up to talk to the neighbor.

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by TechAlG View Post
    Had a positive police encounter this evening. Had to call them because a neighbor, who took offense to the posting of our land and threatened me last year, decided he was going to target shoot in a field near his house this evening. Problem is, he has no backstop to shoot into. Bullets could be heard flying by, through the leaves, and hitting the hillside near where we were.

Anyway, police from three areas show up (Freedom Twp, Blair Twp, and Roaring Spring Borough). I told them what was going on, and that we were up there target shooting. They never even mentioned our guns, let alone disarmed us "for their own safety." Come to think of it, they never even asked if I had a ltcf.
    Shame Martinsburg didn't show up.. their PD kinda cracks me up. Although the one guy is huge !!

but I digress; sounds like some irresponsible target shooting that probably justifies a call to the boys in blue. I would be very uncomfortable as well if I heard bullets whizzing by.
    I am not a lawyer !!

(Delaware County)

If they met you on your own property, I'd expect they wouldn't have much to say, particularly if you were OC... (Now in Philthydelphia... )

So far as the "friendly" neighbor is concerned, sounds like reckless endangerment to me...

rep sent for a fellow Altoid
    [account deactivated]

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_D View Post
    If they met you on your own property, I'd expect they wouldn't have much to say, particularly if you were OC... (Now in Philthydelphia... )

So far as the "friendly" neighbor is concerned, sounds like reckless endangerment to me...
    Here's where it gets tricky. I don't live there. It is simply a woodlot. I was up again today, and it was so quiet I fell asleep in the car, just sitting there. Talk about peaceful.

(Northampton County)

Your story reminds me of two separate incidences.
    Recently, I had one of my neighbors get "offended" because I had my property surveyed and then posted.
    Eleven years ago there was a neighbor that was shooting a .357mag into a hay bail that he used for bow. The bullets were going through the bails and you could hear them bouncing through the trees(on my property) toward my house. I had the PSP come and talk to the person. They did nothing and I got to hear the clown, I mean dispatcher, say over the radio "tell him not to go where he is shooting". Of course I told the trooper to tell the asshole to shut up. I will always remember that because I had a newborn(my first daughter) in the house. This all happened before I carried.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff