Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Erie County)

Default Thompson Center .50 cal Hawkins

My Dad bought one of these years ago and never shot it. I bought an inline muzzleloader earlier this fall for the early muzzleloader season and shot it a few times at the range to sight it in. Today though was my first time with a flintlock. My brother used it a couple years ago and apparently sighted it in. I loaded it up when I got out of the car this morning and when it came time to end my hunt I was unsure if I need to fully discharge it or simply empty the flash pan. A quick call to the PSP informed me that in order to transport legally it I should make sure it was unloaded. I found a stump about 25 yrd away with a good backstop and shot it. Had it been a deer I'd have more meat for the freezer. Now I was told to expect a brief delay. Well maybe it is just me but I didn't notice any noticable delay. It fired as fast as the inline does using a 209 primer. Granted it wasn't raining but I found it a reliable firearm. Completely different experience than the time a few years ago when I watched 6 men with flintlocks all miss the same deer because none their rifles fired.

Now I'm questioning the inline muzzleloader's transport. I was told if I took the primer out it was ok to case it and take it in the car.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Thompson Center .50 cal Hawkins

On page 20 of the Hunting & Trapping Digest it reads muzzle loaders are considered unloaded when all powder is removed from the pan, or the 209 primer or percussion cap is removed. For complete safety they should be fired in to soft ground. Well not an exact quote, but close. I have been told that a properly tuned flintlock is as quick or quicker then a percussion gun. I do not have a link and forget the source. Didn't bother to research it either, just filed it away under "No Kidding?"
    When hunting I will brush out the pan an replace with fresh powder. Usually every 45 minutes or so depending on how damp the air is. Just make sure you don't get busted by a critter while doing it.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by deafsmithco View Post
    On page 20 of the Hunting & Trapping Digest it reads muzzle loaders are considered unloaded when all powder is removed from the pan, or the 209 primer or percussion cap is removed. For complete safety they should be fired in to soft ground. Well not an exact quote, but close. I have been told that a properly tuned flintlock is as quick or quicker then a percussion gun. I do not have a link and forget the source. Didn't bother to research it either, just filed it away under "No Kidding?"
    When hunting I will brush out the pan an replace with fresh powder. Usually every 45 minutes or so depending on how damp the air is. Just make sure you don't get busted by a critter while doing it.
    Thanks. Not surprising the PSP and Game Commission have differing points of view. Since I don't want to get in an argument though with the police if I get pulled over for something else I think I'll just make sure it is fully unloaded. Besides at this time of the season it may be the only shooting I get in.

(Lebanon County)

a well tuned flintlock will discharged with no primer in the pan.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Northampton County)

Yes, thats what I was told, and upside down too. I have yet to try either.

It's best to discharge the round and be absolutely safe.
    I'm a big black powder fan...they're fun, easy to build and no BS to get a hold of one. BP revolvers are fun too, give one of those a try...your in the area CJ, If you'd like we can meet up one day.
    Whatever you do don't clean it in the bathtub! Did it once because I didn't have a bucket...young & dumb, didn't think that one out at all. I did have the cleanest bathroom in the tri-state area when I was all done.

(Allegheny County)

I've never had a BP firearm. What would be a good beginners BP rifle or revolver? Just for the range use.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by P89 View Post
    It's best to discharge the round and be absolutely safe.
    I'm a big black powder fan...they're fun, easy to build and no BS to get a hold of one. BP revolvers are fun too, give one of those a try...your in the area CJ, If you'd like we can meet up one day.
    Whatever you do don't clean it in the bathtub! Did it once because I didn't have a bucket...young & dumb, didn't think that one out at all. I did have the cleanest bathroom in the tri-state area when I was all done.
    What is the bucket or tub for? I figured I'd clean the bore out using the same basic process as with the inline, minus being able to remove the breach plug. Just swab the barrel with a BP solvent until the patches are clean. Or get fancy and try one of the foaming products Thompson Center labels these days.

I'd love to try out a BP revolver. I've been looking at getting one from Cabela's or the like.

For Thompson Center and clone owners that want to quickly and easily convert their flintlock to percussion cap firing, we've got the answer. A new Patent Pending stainless steel conversion kit will be available in 60 days.

The conversion kit will enable a hunter to easily convert their TC flintlock to percussion cap within minutes in the field!

Retail Price: $39.95 + S & H $4.95

Lifetime Warranty

Introductory Price through April 30 --- $29.95 Conversion Kit will ship in May
    This is an introductory price through April 30 for early pre-sales.

Send Check or Money Order to:
    Globe Industries, Inc.
    15531 Kuykendahl, Suite 200
    Houston, Texas 77090

Contact Globe Industries, Inc. sales@globecorp.com
    Tel: 281-440-3999

DEALERS & REPS WANTED

to view the working prototype simple visit our ftp site and download the photos

step 1. type ftp://flintlock@globecorp.com in the address bar on your web browser

step 2. type the password - convert and hit enter

step 3. drag and drop the files to your computer folder or desktop

(Lawrence County)

I just drop the barrel in the bathtub full of hot water and then swab the bore with dish soap.......take it out and she's dry in minutes. Then lube and store.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast