Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Erie, Pennsylvania
    (Erie County)
    Posts
    766
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Thompson Center .50 cal Hawkins

    My Dad bought one of these years ago and never shot it. I bought an inline muzzleloader earlier this fall for the early muzzleloader season and shot it a few times at the range to sight it in. Today though was my first time with a flintlock. My brother used it a couple years ago and apparently sighted it in. I loaded it up when I got out of the car this morning and when it came time to end my hunt I was unsure if I need to fully discharge it or simply empty the flash pan. A quick call to the PSP informed me that in order to transport legally it I should make sure it was unloaded. I found a stump about 25 yrd away with a good backstop and shot it. Had it been a deer I'd have more meat for the freezer. Now I was told to expect a brief delay. Well maybe it is just me but I didn't notice any noticable delay. It fired as fast as the inline does using a 209 primer. Granted it wasn't raining but I found it a reliable firearm. Completely different experience than the time a few years ago when I watched 6 men with flintlocks all miss the same deer because none their rifles fired.

    Now I'm questioning the inline muzzleloader's transport. I was told if I took the primer out it was ok to case it and take it in the car.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bangor, Pennsylvania
    (Northampton County)
    Posts
    325
    Rep Power
    7126

    Default Re: Thompson Center .50 cal Hawkins

    On page 20 of the Hunting & Trapping Digest it reads muzzle loaders are considered unloaded when all powder is removed from the pan, or the 209 primer or percussion cap is removed. For complete safety they should be fired in to soft ground. Well not an exact quote, but close. I have been told that a properly tuned flintlock is as quick or quicker then a percussion gun. I do not have a link and forget the source. Didn't bother to research it either, just filed it away under "No Kidding?"
    When hunting I will brush out the pan an replace with fresh powder. Usually every 45 minutes or so depending on how damp the air is. Just make sure you don't get busted by a critter while doing it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Erie, Pennsylvania
    (Erie County)
    Posts
    766
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: Thompson Center .50 cal Hawkins

    Quote Originally Posted by deafsmithco View Post
    On page 20 of the Hunting & Trapping Digest it reads muzzle loaders are considered unloaded when all powder is removed from the pan, or the 209 primer or percussion cap is removed. For complete safety they should be fired in to soft ground. Well not an exact quote, but close. I have been told that a properly tuned flintlock is as quick or quicker then a percussion gun. I do not have a link and forget the source. Didn't bother to research it either, just filed it away under "No Kidding?"
    When hunting I will brush out the pan an replace with fresh powder. Usually every 45 minutes or so depending on how damp the air is. Just make sure you don't get busted by a critter while doing it.
    Thanks. Not surprising the PSP and Game Commission have differing points of view. Since I don't want to get in an argument though with the police if I get pulled over for something else I think I'll just make sure it is fully unloaded. Besides at this time of the season it may be the only shooting I get in.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    lebanon, Pennsylvania
    (Lebanon County)
    Age
    41
    Posts
    3,577
    Rep Power
    218987

    Default Re: Thompson Center .50 cal Hawkins

    a well tuned flintlock will discharged with no primer in the pan.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bangor, Pennsylvania
    (Northampton County)
    Posts
    325
    Rep Power
    7126

    Default Re: Thompson Center .50 cal Hawkins

    Yes, thats what I was told, and upside down too. I have yet to try either.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Downthelane, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,116
    Rep Power
    49061

    Default Re: Thompson Center .50 cal Hawkins

    It's best to discharge the round and be absolutely safe.
    I'm a big black powder fan...they're fun, easy to build and no BS to get a hold of one. BP revolvers are fun too, give one of those a try...your in the area CJ, If you'd like we can meet up one day.
    Whatever you do don't clean it in the bathtub! Did it once because I didn't have a bucket...young & dumb, didn't think that one out at all. I did have the cleanest bathroom in the tri-state area when I was all done.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Age
    59
    Posts
    2,770
    Rep Power
    127601

    Default Re: Thompson Center .50 cal Hawkins

    I've never had a BP firearm. What would be a good beginners BP rifle or revolver? Just for the range use.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bangor, Pennsylvania
    (Northampton County)
    Posts
    325
    Rep Power
    7126

    Default Re: Thompson Center .50 cal Hawkins

    Dave, I've had good luck with T/C Hawken percussion guns as most of my hunting is on the east side of the Delaware. My current flint gun is a semi - custom from TVM. I am sure some one here can help you out on a good starter gun. Listen to P89's advice and don't clean it in the tub I did that once also. The cleaning part is no where near the chore some say it is. There is a good chance you will get addicted to blackpowder so be careful. Too bad you aren't closer to Dixon's Muzzleloader shop in Kempton, they have about every thing there is for beginners to builders.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Downthelane, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,116
    Rep Power
    49061

    Default Re: Thompson Center .50 cal Hawkins

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    I've never had a BP firearm. What would be a good beginners BP rifle or revolver? Just for the range use.
    Start with a flintlock rifle, Thompson Hawkins are very popular & fairly cheap not to mention a good solid gun. I'm into traditional types. When I finally get to a group shoot I'll let you know and I'll bring an assortment of BP guns...maybe I'll get everyone else addicted too.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Erie, Pennsylvania
    (Erie County)
    Posts
    766
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: Thompson Center .50 cal Hawkins

    Quote Originally Posted by P89 View Post
    It's best to discharge the round and be absolutely safe.
    I'm a big black powder fan...they're fun, easy to build and no BS to get a hold of one. BP revolvers are fun too, give one of those a try...your in the area CJ, If you'd like we can meet up one day.
    Whatever you do don't clean it in the bathtub! Did it once because I didn't have a bucket...young & dumb, didn't think that one out at all. I did have the cleanest bathroom in the tri-state area when I was all done.
    What is the bucket or tub for? I figured I'd clean the bore out using the same basic process as with the inline, minus being able to remove the breach plug. Just swab the barrel with a BP solvent until the patches are clean. Or get fancy and try one of the foaming products Thompson Center labels these days.

    I'd love to try out a BP revolver. I've been looking at getting one from Cabela's or the like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Fred Thompson For 2008
    By Agent Ronin in forum General
    Replies: 122
    Last Post: November 8th, 2007, 08:12 AM
  2. Tommy Thompson out of the race
    By Agent Smith in forum General
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 13th, 2007, 03:48 PM
  3. Don't Fall for Fred Thompson...
    By Republicrat in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 10th, 2007, 01:51 PM
  4. WTS: Thompson Center Arms Contender
    By Kypt in forum General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: June 6th, 2007, 02:38 PM
  5. WTS: 1928 Thompson and accessories - $16,250
    By Asmodeus in forum Classifieds Archive
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: October 8th, 2006, 11:33 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops