Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default UPDATE Is My Revolver Self-Destructing? Timing off? Shearing Lead? UPDATE

I finally got a chance to get out and shoot the S&W 38-2 I found last week. Everything was going well until at about 25 rounds something sharp hit me in the face. I shrugged it off as powder and kept shooting until it happened again, this time hitting me in the cheek right below my eye pro. I cursed a bunch, and put the gun away. The second piece appeared to be a little piece of black metal. I'm not sure what it was, but it was sharp, and metallic.

Any ideas here? Is my timing off? I'm pissed, I just got this thing and I love it. Any way for me to determine what the problem is? Or recommendations for a wheelgun smith in the Harrisburg area?
    Last edited by rwb1500; June 16th, 2011 at 01:19 AM.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Is My Revolver Self-Destructing? Timing off? Shearing Lead? Help!

I'm not much of a revolver guy at all, having only owned a few, but, just some thoughts (or rather additional questions):

When this occurs, is it through the same cylinder?
    Anything look unusual when examining the cylinder wall(s) closely?
    Same issue in SA as in DA?

From Sheldon, via THR:
    You very slowly squeeze the trigger double action and see if the cylinder locks up before the hammer falls. If it is close it may not matter too much, as most will shoot double action fast enough that the momentum of the cylinder will cause it to lock up before the hammer falls. If you shoot double action very slowly it would matter more.

Though admittedly inexperienced, it sounds like a trip to a Gunsmith may be the best course of action.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Northampton County)

From a long time (50+ years) revolver shooter - the timing of your revolver is OFF - it needs a trip to a gun doctor.
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 32 Magnum View Post
    From a long time (50+ years) revolver shooter - the timing of your revolver is OFF - it needs a trip to a gun doctor.
    I have no delusions of a DIY solution. I'm quite averse to slivers of metal in my face, or any part of my body for that matter.

Now the problem is finding someone. I bought the gun at Gander Mt (don't hate, the price was excellent). I wonder if taking it to them would accomplish anything...

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    I have no delusions of a DIY solution. I'm quite averse to slivers of metal in my face, or any part of my body for that matter.

Now the problem is finding someone. I bought the gun at Gander Mt (don't hate, the price was excellent). I wonder if taking it to them would accomplish anything...
    Probably not unless they offered a warranty with your purchase. GM's gunsmithing service has been known to be well overpriced and shabby depending on store.

You might be better off taking it to a more reputable smith.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Probably not unless they offered a warranty with your purchase. GM's gunsmithing service has been known to be well overpriced and shabby depending on store.

You might be better off taking it to a more reputable smith.
    I think they did actually give me 30 days. I'll have to check the paperwork.

I need to find a local smith period. The area isn't exactly flooded with them, unfortunately.

I have no misgivings that Gander Mt service probably isn't the best (and I certainly wouldn't pay them for it), but my local one does let great used gun deals slip out.
    Last edited by rwb1500; May 5th, 2011 at 01:25 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I would contact S&W. I had a 686 that I bought used that was out of time on two cylinders. I explained to the nice lady that answered the phone what was going on and her response was "oh dear, we can't have that; box it up and send it in". Quickly there after it was returned to me functioning perfectly. My son now has that one and it still works well. I believe they even picked up the shipping both ways.
    The Lord Bless You

(Lawrence County)

^^^^ What he said... Send it in to the factory. Did you happen to look at the primers of the sent shells? If they're a little off-center it is definitely the timing... Trust me, it does take being off center very much to send shrapnel all over the play... S&W has pretty good customer service, I'm sure they'll do right by you...

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Berks County)

Me too on "send it to the factory". I shot a Colt Trooper sloppy (over 40,000 rounds). Colt put it back in time and tightened it up and was very reasonable. Money well spent.

Ray

(Cumberland County)

You guys think the factory will take a gun that was made someone in between 1992 and 1996 and has had at least 2 owners? (Although, you'd never know by looking at it.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast